• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anybody do vinyl cutting?

Bu11dog

I want to make my own "special edition" logo for my new to me vehicle but around here it's about $100 to get 12 of them done including converting to JPEG I have to a "vector" (I think that's what he said) format.

Raster to vector conversion. I'm wondering if they need the Vector (coordinates; from paint "A" to point "B" at a certain angle) for numerical control (NC). Might be loading the data into a computerized cutter. I think you could get the converters online for free or for trial, but the numerically controlled cutter would be the issue for DIY. How big are these? Can you print them out, or if larger than a home printer, bring to a Engineering Copy Service with a large format printer. Cut out yourself. Call and ask the printer service how much a print, or square foot, etc, and if the can run from a Raster image file.

I know the shop I went to is using a computer driven cutter but the rest of that is a bit over my head!

Bu11dog said:
I want to make my own "special edition" logo for my new to me vehicle but around here it's about $100 to get 12 of them done including converting to JPEG I have to a "vector" (I think that's what he said) format.

....honestly, raster to vector conversion and a dozen CNC cut stickers for $100 doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

OP, PM me a link to the JPEG and I'd be happy to vectorize it for you.

BlindedByScience said:

....honestly, raster to vector conversion and a dozen CNC cut stickers for $100 doesn't sound like a bad deal to me.

I tend to agree. I could also do a raster to vector conversion for you, as emoshun offered, but the trick is, if printing, what are you printing on, and how will it be cut. The materials,time, and other factors come to a fairly decent cost per piece. If these are just solid colored vinyl cutouts, the printing some sort of outline is probably not too bad. How large are you talking? i.e., how many inches by how many inches?

Captain!

Yes Mr. Spock

I have picked up a Romulan vessel on an intercept course to us.

Sulu

Yes captain

Are we near a spiral nebula we can vector to?

Yes Captain

Very good. On my mark, Sulu, engage the warp engines to warp 10, Spock, on my mark fire the special photon torpedoes with the Gorman rasterizers.

In the confusion we should be able to hide in the nebula until we ascertain the intentions of the Romulans.

Mark!

I wasn't sure on price but for a dozen of them it didn't seem too bad. I'll let him mess with it all. If he turns them out and hey are great then I don't have to mess around to order more.