• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anybody ever hear/listen to an Audio by Van Alstine Ultravalve Tube Am

MadMonk

I've been thinking about getting another Tube Amp. :love:

I used to have a Cary SLA-70B which was basically a 45 watt per channel, Class A/AB amp based on the Dynaco 70.  The "B" model added a bit larger transformer array, giving the amp 10 to 15 watts more per channel. Mine had a luscious midrange with a wonderful bloom. (Amp was more a midrange magic deal than the best bass or treble, but both being quite listenable.)

My major problem with the Cary was that I had to open the dang thing up to bias it, exposing high voltage which is not safe. 

The Audio by Van Alstine (AVA) Ultravalve amp is 35 watts per channel, which is plenty for my speakers.  According to Frank Van Alstine, it will easily perform like a 100 wpc solid state amp. The specs are good, and he has been at this amp mod and design business for many many years. 

I've been a big fan of getting the most out of stereo for a long time. In all those years, I have never heard one negative concerning AVA, and a slew of praise. 

If you have any insights into this, or any of his products, please share it with me.

Dan, I have to say that I love my Cary amp (CAD 120S MKII) but my friends Ultravalve sounds just as good to our ears... (and you are right, it performs like a 100 plus wpc ss amp) We modified his with a quad set of matched Telefunken EL34's which opened up the mid and bottom, which was just a bit compressed with the stock tubes (compared to the Cary)... Wow, what a difference... I can personally vouch for the quality of sound and workmanship...

I've never heard it, but it has gotten great reviews. I own a T-8+ tube pre-amp and a Synergy 450 solid state amp. You can't go wrong with Franks stuff. You might want to check out Audio Circle where he has his own blog and fan boys like me discussing his gear.

Doc

那家伙的这种东西是对我都是中国的。

Bayamos said:

那家伙的这种东西是对我都是中国的。

No. I have never licked one, nor my beads. If I ever do, I will certainly post a review. ;)

CigSid said:
Dan, I have to say that I love my Cary amp (CAD 120S MKII) but my friends Ultravalve sounds just as good to our ears... (and you are right, it performs like a 100 plus wpc ss amp) We modified his with a quad set of matched Telefunken EL34's which opened up the mid and bottom, which was just a bit compressed with the stock tubes (compared to the Cary)... Wow, what a difference... I can personally vouch for the quality of sound and workmanship...
Thanks, Bill. I've heard the 120S and was definitely impressed. I also love it's modern look. Had did a good job with that amp.
i do love Cary gear.  I get a little sick to my stomach. right now, spending over 2K ish for a piece of gear. IF I didn't have a small child to worry about, hell yeah. 

I have Thiels Loudspeakers, and they are a purely resistive 4 ohm load. But I am not sure that I'm going to run them with something like the AVA. I suspect it would be fine. IMO, Thiels need tubes, otherwise too damned bright. But, they do everything else so damned well. Right now I have them hooked to the infamous DIY "Leach Amp" . I think it is an excellent amp for the build cost. Parts selection is somewhat critical, though. The highs go flat well up to 50K hz which, in my experience typically equates to sweeter highs with Solid State gear. Not as good as the Cary was, but still competent and listenable.

I have a pair of Peachtree Audio DS 4.5 desk top / near field speakers and I absolutely love them. I bought them direct from Peachtree when they slashed the price from $600.00-ish to $300.00. Best 300 bucks I've ever spent in Audio. Now they're up to $399.00. I guess they figured they were selling too cheap. Musical as hell!
If I get the AVA, I will most likely try these on it first, as most of my listening is now done while on the computer. I just want tubes again.

Devil Doc said:
I've never heard it, but it has gotten great reviews. I own a T-8+ tube pre-amp and a Synergy 450 solid state amp. You can't go wrong with Franks stuff. You might want to check out Audio Circle where he has his own blog and fan boys like me discussing his gear.

Doc

Thanks, Doc. I'm going to guess that preamp is the Vincent. Damn, I've fought buying that thing for years. Fantastic specs. I've never heard any Vincent gear either.
I read all of Frank's literature on the 450. Damn, I'd love to hear that system. Which Speakers are you running?

I once, a few years ago, even considered his small integrated amp. Seems like a hell of a value, especially for a desktop system..

I used to run a Counterpoint PreAmp into a Hafler DH220 and then a Acurus 250. Definitely gave you the best of both worlds. The Acurus was definitely the more musical match for the system. I never regretted selling the Hafler (To a guy who was going to do the AVA mod). But, the Acurus, which I sold to get the Cary, a twinge here and there. Sold it to a buddy who was just getting into "High End". He still has it pushing Theil 2.2s. Damn good match too. (not bright)

Also, thanks for the lead on Audio Circle. I'll check it out.

My audio gear glows in the dark, but it's the front panels, not the valves.... :p   I have some older McIntosh solid state gear, an C504 Pre-Amp and an MC502 Power amp.  I swapped out some key op amps in the pre amp with some binned parts my buddy in the digital audio business had years ago...opened things up nicely.  Got to admit, I have been looking at getting a tube headphone amp for work....that would be cool.

Interesting you mentioned Hafler.  I built many DH500's from kits for guys that used them for PA systems.  Made some small mods to the power supply wiring and speaker wiring during the build.  A best friend of mine still has one I built in mint condition with the mono card in it.  That thing did an amazing ~925 Watts into an 8 ohm load and the output looked clean as could be....before I shut it off so I didn't broil the loads any further.  It drives his 18" JBL sub woofer in a full size vented cabinet.  Now, that's real low end..... :0 

Hell yeah, Tom. I've never met a Mac that I didn't like. Tubed or Solid state. I suspect you gear is worth more now than what you paid for it. That is a wonderful attribute of their products.

Yeah, Hafler was no slouch. That 220 I had was easily bridgeable to mono. I did toy with that idea before I sold it. 

I've listened to countless tubed and s/s headphone amps. I'm sold on the tubed offerings, by far. I have a pair of Grado 325s that just crapped out (one side dead). They sound great with tubes. Grado told me they'll repair them for $30.00. More than fair.

Vincent, who the fugg is Vincent? :rolleyes: The T-8+is an AVA product which was just supplanted by the T-9.
My System:
HW-19 MK III Turntable with AQ Pt-6 tonearm and Sumiko  EVO III cartridge (HOMC)
Cambridge Audio 550 CDP used as a transport.
Musical Fidelity M-1 DAC
Musical Fidelity M-1 Vinl phono-pre
Adcom GFT-555 tuner
AVA T-8+ pre-amp
AVA Syngery 450 amp
Vandersteen 2Ci speakers
BJCables throughout

Doc

Ah! Hell, that's even better that you have insight into an AVA preamp! I totally missed it as I am just now revisiting their site and products. You have just "pushed" me over to that preamp. 

That is one hell of a system you have there!

My Turntable is a Thorens TD-160, Stock arm, Grado G+ cartridge.
CD player is Yamaha CDX-1050 with Stan Warren's Supermod. (we used to talk a bit before he disappeared)
I also have a Emotiva CD Player which is very good for the money (I thought it was better than the Oppo I auditioned)
Current preamp and amp are Dr. Marshall Leach DIY designs. Very respectable components. Cost was about 600 bucks, and a lot of time, ten years ago.
Speakers are Thiel CS 1.2 which I like better than their later 1.5, etc.
Interconnects are Acrotec that I got for a steal.
Speaker wire, Nordost Super Flatline Gold.

I love Vandersteen 2 series speakers. I have often wished I bought those instead of the Thiels. I still may get some someday. I need to ask Richard what he thinks about pairing them with the Ultravalve. One thing you can count on from Richard is an honest answer.

Before I bought the 450, Frank recommended the Ultravalve. He thought it was a good match. To be honest, output tubes scare the bejeezus out of me and I don't need the fireworks or heat in the Summertime. I would think a pair of Ultravalves vertically bi-amped would be a killer combination, though, for either the Vandersteens or Thiels.

Doc

There's an Ultravalve on the Bay of E, full money back Guarantee, sitting with an opening bid of 1400.00. Tempting, but hell, it's Ebay...

Devil Doc said:
Before I bought the 450, Frank recommended the Ultravalve. He thought it was a good match. To be honest, output tubes scare the bejeezus out of me and I don't need the fireworks or heat in the Summertime. I would think a pair of Ultravalves vertically bi-amped would be a killer combination, though, for either the Vandersteens or Thiels.

Doc

I have a buddies Precision Fidelity tube power amp in the garage on the bench.  A popular mod to those amps was to replace the AC filter caps with "photoflash" caps (like those used in big Honeywell photographic strobe units).  While they have very low ESR (for an eletrolytic cap) they really won't handle the ripple current long term, and they blew up.  My buddy said it sounded like M80's going off in the chassis....dear god, what a mess.  I'm re-designing the filter section and will use four, maybe six nice big Cornell Dubilier computer grade electrolytic caps.  They ain't sexy, but they'll work with rock solid stability, long term.  Seems some of the new valve design guys didn't bother to look at pedestrian things like Fender and Marshall tube amps for a clue on how to build a power amp with some long term stability.  There are certainly guys that get it right, but there are some that really don't.

BlindedByScience said:

Doc

I have a buddies Precision Fidelity tube power amp in the garage on the bench.  A popular mod to those amps was to replace the AC filter caps with "photoflash" caps (like those used in big Honeywell photographic strobe units).  While they have very low ESR (for an eletrolytic cap) they really won't handle the ripple current long term, and they blew up.  My buddy said it sounded like M80's going off in the chassis....dear god, what a mess.  I'm re-designing the filter section and will use four, maybe six nice big Cornell Dubilier computer grade electrolytic caps.  They ain't sexy, but they'll work with rock solid stability, long term.  Seems some of the new valve design guys didn't bother to look at pedestrian things like Fender and Marshall tube amps for a clue on how to build a power amp with some long term stability.  There are certainly guys that get it right, but there are some that really don't.

Those are excellent caps. I used them in my Home Built Leach Amp (you know you want to build one, Tom!!! )  :D (http://users.ece.gatech.edu/mleach/lowtim/) ;)
My boss was a student of Marshall Leach at Georgia Tech. We built his Low TIM amp but basically split it into two mono channels.
My boss said using these caps was definitely the way to go. He built 3 or 4 of them.

An interesting thing about these builds. What made me want to build one was listening to the one he built, 30 years ago while in Leach's Audio Engineering classes. It was in the top 3 absolute best solid state amps I had ever heard. (McIntosh and Ayre are the others) When we started sourcing parts, we could not get responses from EI core transformer manufacturers on price or availability. We wound up using Plitron Toroidal Transformers. Excellent for what they are. We also were a bit more picky with components choosing Nichicon Muse Caps for the circuit cards, and High end Vishay resistors.
When the first amp was finished, I did some critical listening. It was very good, very stable, with alot of the gymnastic ability critical listeners look for but, it was in no way as magical as the 30 year old build which included a massive EI core transformer that he bought surplus. It was an umbilical Power Supply which I think is a good way to go too. Power supply itself was easily over 30 pounds! After reading some online articles on amp design, going over Leach's notes, etc., I was convinced the diminished sonic performance (mostly Musicality, Air, Palpable presence, and Soundstage depth and width to a high degree!).

My boss agreed that it did not perform as magically as the old one. I think he finally got Hammond to build him the EI core Xformers to spec. He built a whole new amp with those Transformers and it was magical. I am now convinced that EI core is sonically superior to Toroidal. Probably more technically issue laden but damn, what a sonic difference. For 600 bucks in parts, and a lot of sweat equity, I would pick this version against any S/S amplifier. If it was a consumer product, I[d have to listen to a few of the newer amps first, but suspect it would still be a hard choice.

Since folks are posting their system, I thought I would post mine.

I invite anyone from CP nearby or traveling up I85  through SC to come by for a listen and hopefully a smoke. Smoking here is outside though.

I rip CD's to the hard drive, all files are lossless and preferably WAV files. This avoids read errors inherent in optical drives.

Then from the hard drive, out through a high-quality sound card - digital all the way and into a

BSS Omnidrive Compact plus - digital crossover

All level settings and crossover slopes are handled digitally - only go analog out from the digital crossover straight in the amps.

I am triamping, with digital crossover

Parafeed 2A3's driven by 76's from 6.27 Khz up on the tweeters, which are   DDS Eng 90-1 Pro waveguides, Beyma CP385ND 1' compression drivers. Roughly 3.5 watts per channel.

GM70 w copper plates Driven by 75th eimacs, a Dowdylama design and 38" Azurahorns (original model) with Supravox 215-2000-EXC field coil drivers on the mids.

The GM70 is putting out about 7 watts per channel.

Each Sub channel is pushed by a bridged Crown Comtech-410 for 410 watts for each dipole sub that consists of  Hawthorne audio Duets with 2 15" Silver Iris Augie drivers per side.

I run that over the wifi from my laptop or a tablet. The tablet is good for a number of things but will choke when exposed to the number of files on the server, it is more than the processor can handle.

No vinyl, no preamp, volume control and playlists handled using JRiver

I've had tubes in my day but I'm strictly solid sate now.  You just can't get the juice required for accurate bass out of a tube amp that costs less than my car unless you listen at fairly low levels. 

2 Pioneer / Phase Linear PL-L1000 tangential tracking TT with an AT OC9 on one and an AT OC30 on the other feeding into an AT 650 passive transformer then into the rest of the system.  While I have about 5,000 vinyl albums I have digitized most of the ones I wanted (well about 500 to go)  and really don't listen to wax that much anymore.  TT looks like this one.
gallery_773_749_18960.jpg

Like personal User everything comes off my media server which has all my music, pictures and movies on it.  Currently that is a FreeNas 9.1 box with 30TB of storage selected through a Netgear 550 box for ease of use or an HTPC that will play things the Netgear box won't like SACD ISO files. Both are hardwire over my gigabit network and connected via HDMI into the Preamp.

I use 50 AMPS of balanced power which is probably the best single upgrade I have ever made feeding Cinepro and Parasound amps with almost 7,000 watts total. Front speakers (VMPS Super Tower III) are bi-amped with 1600 watts to the sub column and 500 watts to the mids/tweeters.An infinite baffle sub with 2 18" drivers gets turned on for Home Theater use, each driver gets 1,000 watts. Main speakers are like this only gloss black. 78" tall, 550 lbs each.
gallery_773_749_4467.jpg

Depending on what is being played there is a 30 band EQ, pop & click box, sub harmonic synthesizer,dbx noise reduction or dbx expander that can be inserted into the analog path.

You guys are killing me!    :sign:

I use JRiver for my desktop / near field / computer rig as well, Personal User. I think it sounds better than Itunes, and has a more robust set of features.
Now that I have a Mac, it will be interesting to see if I can detect any significant differences. I guess I really need to play with inserting it into the main stereo.

I think I"m pretty well settled on my preamp and amp set-up which I've been saving up for. All AVA tube amplification. I"ll run that through the Thiels and see if they tame the highs at all. I suspect it will sound fine, but if not satisfied, I may have to pick some brains here to put together a short list of speakers to audition. Right now, the only one on my list is Vandersteen. I've always been impressed with their musicality. The Thiels, while superbly accurate, can get a bit clinical.  

Thanks for your participation in this thread, guys.

MadMonk said:
I use JRiver for my desktop / near field / computer rig as well, Personal User. I think it sounds better .....
Clearly sounds better than any I have heard, and at one time I had heard them all.
MadMonk said:
All AVA tube amplification.... I"ll run that through the Thiels and see if they tame the highs at all.
Generally, for best sound it's all about system matching. What sounds good with one amp/preamp made sound awful with a different brand.

Probably the best place to find out what sounds good with AVA is through other AVA users of that amp/preamp combo - even better if they are using a similar source.

I haven't really kept up in recent years but I still keep up with some people that really stay on top of what's out there. Some of them are even too prejudiced they just care about the sound. :)

Agreed, Sound is nice, but musical trumps it if the fidelity is good enough.
I want it to draw me in, and induce me to start pulling CDs and Albums out, one after another. Then you know you have something special.