• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone else have issues with their Govee?

{tpc}

Professional Poker Tournament Loser
So I have the Bluetooth Govee deal in my humidor in the basement. When I got the Govee I also got some boveda calibration bags.

When I first got it and tested it, it was spot on, 75%.

I placed it in there to see how it would work in the humidor and to play with the humidor a bit, as Michigan basements tend to be a little chilly and damp in the summer (especially running the ac. Even with all the vents off)

At first it seemed pretty ok. But over the last couple months it’s been slowly creeping higher and higher. It felt kinda damp down there and even though the humidor is sealed I thought it could be that.

So I purchased a dehumidifier for the basement. It actually works pretty good, and as a added benefit it raises the ambient temp in that area a couple degrees. But still the Govee was high. So for a few days I let the humidor be open with nothing in it, then I would check and back and forth to see if it was better and stabilizing. No dice.

So last night I got another boveda bag out. Put the Govee in and sealed it inside another ziplock and placed it near a temp sensor I have.

Temp reads good. But the humidity is reading 90%? It’s odd it’s that far off but it does make sense to what I was expecting the humidity to really be.

Do you think this could be a low battery situation? Or should I just chuck this one for a new (or better) Govee? It’s just the little square one, no readout, have to use the phone.

So I have the Bluetooth Govee deal in my humidor in the basement. When I got the Govee I also got some boveda calibration bags.

When I first got it and tested it, it was spot on, 75%.

I placed it in there to see how it would work in the humidor and to play with the humidor a bit, as Michigan basements tend to be a little chilly and damp in the summer (especially running the ac. Even with all the vents off)

At first it seemed pretty ok. But over the last couple months it’s been slowly creeping higher and higher. It felt kinda damp down there and even though the humidor is sealed I thought it could be that.

So I purchased a dehumidifier for the basement. It actually works pretty good, and as a added benefit it raises the ambient temp in that area a couple degrees. But still the Govee was high. So for a few days I let the humidor be open with nothing in it, then I would check and back and forth to see if it was better and stabilizing. No dice.

So last night I got another boveda bag out. Put the Govee in and sealed it inside another ziplock and placed it near a temp sensor I have.

Temp reads good. But the humidity is reading 90%? It’s odd it’s that far off but it does make sense to what I was expecting the humidity to really be.

Do you think this could be a low battery situation? Or should I just chuck this one for a new (or better) Govee? It’s just the little square one, no readout, have to use the phone.
I haven't noticed any problems with mine, but you've got me worried now! 😂

Mine seems to be working pretty good. I never realized how much of an effect temperature had on the humidity of my humidor and also how long it took for the humidity to adjust after the temp changed. These charts are handy but always make me worried about my sticks now lol. I guess I need to focus on the weekly or monthly average as a better indicator of the humidityAE47F30E-0CDC-48D4-B3AA-79889D78D972.png

Looks like mine is junk. I took the battery out , deleted it from the app and rescanned and it works, but still sticking near 90% when it should be 75.

And you can only move it like 10 % lower

Never had an issue with mine, but I've always replaced the battery and salt tested, every couple years.

I’ve contacted Govee. Hoping they will replace it since I just purchased it in January but if not, I’ll just buy another I guess, they are pretty cheap.

Only had one issue out of 15 Govees. The bad unit drains the batteries in weeks, while the others last a year or so.

I’ve contacted Govee. Hoping they will replace it since I just purchased it in January but if not, I’ll just buy another I guess, they are pretty cheap.
Govee customer service is awesome. One of the probes on my meat thermometer came bad in the box. You had to bend the cord and keep it in that position for it to work. Sent them a little video of it happening right in the app. The sent over a brand new Bluetooth meat thermometer and 4 new probes. Granted it’s only $20 for the whole thing if you get it on sale on Amazon but still great service

I use temp stick. Can anyone post a link to the Govee you are using for your humidor and meat? Perhaps Amazon? Greatly appreciated.

I use temp stick. Can anyone post a link to the Govee you are using for your humidor and meat? Perhaps Amazon? Greatly appreciated.
Here's what I have:

Govee Hygrometer Thermometer, Wireless Thermometer, Mini Bluetooth Humidity Sensor with Notification Alert, Data Storage and Export, 262 Feet Connecting Range https://a.co/d/c0szIyT

Govee Bluetooth Meat Thermometer, Wireless Meat Thermometer for Smoker Oven, Digital Grill Thermometer with 2 Probes, Timer Mode, Smart LCD Backlight BBQ Thermometer for Cooking Turkey Fish Beef https://a.co/d/egQbroI

Here's what I have:

Govee Hygrometer Thermometer, Wireless Thermometer, Mini Bluetooth Humidity Sensor with Notification Alert, Data Storage and Export, 262 Feet Connecting Range https://a.co/d/c0szIyT

Govee Bluetooth Meat Thermometer, Wireless Meat Thermometer for Smoker Oven, Digital Grill Thermometer with 2 Probes, Timer Mode, Smart LCD Backlight BBQ Thermometer for Cooking Turkey Fish Beef https://a.co/d/egQbroI
Thank you Mr Sell.

OK now I know why I don't use these for Humidors. I need monitoring over WiFi so I can check and do stuff between two sites located in different countries. Probably I can set up email/text alerts with the bluetooth device (I hope so at least) but after that if I need to check humidity/temp levels, calibrate humidity/temp, or alter any settings I would need to be in the presence of the device, bluetooth range.

The meat thermometer I will check out as I am usually in the same kitchen as the meat I am cooking 😬

So the new one works much better. I took the old one to work, reflowed all the solder joints and cleaned the board, still no dice, so I guess I have a spare battery and case now lol.

I suppose I could have put it under the microscope to look for cracked components but it’s not like it’s that expensive…I did notice the new one had upgraded hardware and firmware according to the app, so maybe mine was just going to be a bum from the beginning.

Back to this again. Anyone have a suggestion for something better? I like the idea of inexpensive but when checking the calibration it’s like 92% in a boveda calibration kit bag? I guess I can try the salt method and see if it helps. Hasn’t quite been 24 hours yet though.

Try the cal in a Mason jar, or at a minimum double bag the test environment. Wait at least 24 hours. Room temperature, of course. Takes a while for the environment to equilibrate.

Try the cal in a Mason jar, or at a minimum double bag the test environment. Wait at least 24 hours. Room temperature, of course. Takes a while for the environment to equilibrate.
I’ll try the mason jar. Should I try and seal it off better somehow or just as tight as I can by hand?

Fwiw, I did double bag it from the start. I’ve since removed and replaced the battery and deleted and re added to the app, all to no avail.

These are the ones I use https://amzn.to/3Q0qpgg. After the initial calibration I have not had a problem with them. The 2 oldest ones I have had for almost a year and they still have 4 out of 4 power bars. I also have a Govee heater that I link to one of the Govee's in one of my tupadors. That way it keeps the room at the right temp for the cigars.