• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone ever dealt with "Lemon Law"?

KayakinBoy

I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
Ms. Kayakinboy bought a new Honda back in 2006. Over the past year, it has been in the shop 4 times for the same part. There has not been a recall, and yesterday, when it started messing up again, the Honda dealership told us that they did not know what to do. They are calling Honda Headquarters, and I guess we will see what they say. My question is, according the law (at least how I am reading it) after the car has the same problem 3 times, and the dealer cannot fix it, you are entitled to the Lemon Law. Here is a link.

*Click!*

Has anyone ever dealt with this? ???

You read it. Do you meet the conditions? I would imagine that your dealer would comply voluntarily. The kind of press that refusing would generate is not what I would want.

Yes I have. Actually had to hire an attorney to get them to take the POS back. I guess the dealership was hoping I'd go away and they probably will do the same with most people figuring they will never see through to the end.

Just my experience. BTW they also had to pay my attorney fees.

KB, keep elevating your request until you get to the person that can make the decision for you. A buddy had a similar issue with his wife's car. We were at lunch and these two guys at the next table overheard us talking about it. Turns out that one of them used to own a dealership, and his advice was to keep going higher in the chain of command. Honda could buy that car back, keep after it.

Press your rights under the "Lemon" law of your state. If the dealership does not comply you can go a couple diferent directions ... or both.

You can contact the local press. Our local TV station has a special section for reporting frauds and such and they help to correct them by exposing the wrongdoers and negative press.

You can also contact a local attorney that specializes in "Lemon" law enforcement.

Good luck and please let us know how things work out.

- Jason

You read it. Do you meet the conditions? I would imagine that your dealer would comply voluntarily. The kind of press that refusing would generate is not what I would want.
Yes, we do. I would think so too. They have been very friendly and nice so far.

Yes I have. Actually had to hire an attorney to get them to take the POS back.
This is what we are afraid of. I hope it doesn't come to that.

I like Gregor's response on this. So far that's pretty much what we have been doing. We stay polite and nice (the same way they treat us) and hopefully, we will be speaking with someone today who can either resolve this issue, or get our car fixed!

I have never dealt with this before but always heard that the way to go was with an attorney that specializes in the Lemon Law. Don't expect to get any assistance from the dealership. Best of luck.

Been there and done that. The Lemon Laws in New Jersey are a joke.

We had a fully loaded 2004 Chrysler Pacifica (Horrifica as we called it) that was in the shop for 4 1/2 months the first 15 months we had it for numerous problems, not just one thing...a true POS Lemon. We qualified on every point and hired an Attorney that 'specialized in Lemon Law cases' and that was a joke as well. In the end they offered us money as a settlement but had to keep the car...and the lawyer got most of it due to the fact they don't do this on a percentage basis or set fee...it's fees as-you-go. They created so much paperwork they wanted to get paid for over the course of 13 months.

My neighbor across from me had a Dodge pickup that leaked in the cab every time it rained and the rear bed was 1 1/2 inches to one side (didn't see it at time of delivery) and tweaked to the point that his factory installed fiberglass tonneau cover let rain in from the huge gaps. Same scenario as me....offered money as a settlement and had to keep the truck. He sold it at a huge loss after over a year and a half of fighting with the dealer and corporate Dodge.

I hope to God you have better luck than the two of us.

I would talk to people that have successfully done it in your State and use their experience as a model for yourself.

Good Luck

The problem I see is the one year limitation.
“Term of protection” means the term of applicable express warranties or the period of one (1) year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever comes first....

"Term of protection" means the term of applicable express warranties or the period of one (1) year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever comes first....

That's our only worry as well.

Normally, I would have just told her to deal with it and move on, but when the sensor goes out, it makes the factory sub woofer malfunction, and produce so much bass, that it gives anyone a headache within 5-10 minutes. It's terrible. Hell, if they gave us book value and let us buy another one, we'd be happy. I've read online about other people having this happen, and they got the dealership to do a fair exchange for a brand new one.

"Term of protection" means the term of applicable express warranties or the period of one (1) year following the date of original delivery of the motor vehicle to a consumer, whichever comes first....

That's our only worry as well.

Normally, I would have just told her to deal with it and move on, but when the sensor goes out, it makes the factory sub woofer malfunction, and produce so much bass, that it gives anyone a headache within 5-10 minutes. It's terrible. Hell, if they gave us book value and let us buy another one, we'd be happy. I've read online about other people having this happen, and they got the dealership to do a fair exchange for a brand new one.

Maybe they don't believe that to be a dangerous threat to you, or it may not be replaceable under your states lemon laws because of it.

Maybe they don't believe that to be a dangerous threat to you, or it may not be replaceable under your states lemon laws because of it.

We are now waiting on the Regional Sales Manager to give us a call back, also Honda's Technical Department... I also found a Honda service bulletin that states it's an "un-mandatory recall" and will be fixed in and out of warranty with no charge. I'll update when I hear something.

I also found a Honda service bulletin that states it's an "un-mandatory recall" and will be fixed in and out of warranty with no charge.

Print this off and take it with you to service. That should take care of it. Plus, it will tell your service techs how to fix it, as they can't seem to figure it out on their own. :rolleyes: