• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Anyone upgrading to Windows 8?

Pipe Smoker

I'm thinking of taking advantage of their $40 upgrade option. I'm still running WinXP Pro. It suits us well enough. We use it primarily for internet, a little word procession, and some photo processing. My real motivating factor is that I want to get more ram, but with the 32bit OS I'm stuck with 4gb.

I won't even think of it until after the first service pack.

I'm not a PC expert but I don't believe upgrading the OS will allow you to increase your RAM or run a 64bit OS if the PC hardware doesn't support it. That would be the first thing to verify. I'm pretty sure that if the manual says 4GB max on your MB then that's it. I suppose there could be some MBs that can handle 32 or 64 bits and going to 64 bits would mean more RAM capability. That's a question for some of the PC builders on here.​

The MB can definitely be a limiting factor for the RAM, but I think OP meant the fact that 32 bit Win OS strictly recognizes 4GBs or less while the 64 bit can be much much higher.

There's very little hardware that won't accommodate a 64-bit operating system these days. Moving to Windows 7 from XP was a huge improvement in many things. As such, I'm pretty uninterested in Windows 8 at this time. I have four or five W7-64 machines around the house....we're staying put.

Now, for someone still on XP......perhaps. But, AVB makes a good point - there will be bugs 'o plenty found once the OS is in the hands of the consumer. It may be worth waiting but if you have a time limit on the W8 upgrade, that may force your play. If i were still on XP, I would probably be lots more interested in W8.

You know, it seems like every other MS OS is a dog. I rode XP through Vista into W7...which rocks. I think I'll hang with W7 until W8's replacement shows up in two years.

Since it's only $40 I'm not too worried about tossing it if it turns out that Win8 sucks. Its the time commitment that has me on the fence, loading and reloading an OS is such a pain in the balls.

I'm not a PC expert but I don't believe upgrading the OS will allow you to increase your RAM or run a 64bit OS if the PC hardware doesn't support it. That would be the first thing to verify. I'm pretty sure that if the manual says 4GB max on your MB then that's it. I suppose there could be some MBs that can handle 32 or 64 bits and going to 64 bits would mean more RAM capability. That's a question for some of the PC builders on here.​
The MB can definitely be a limiting factor for the RAM, but I think OP meant the fact that 32 bit Win OS strictly recognizes 4GBs or less while the 64 bit can be much much higher.

Yeah, MB is rated to 16gb or something like that. Running the 32bit OS is keeping me from going above 4gb. Computer is much newer than OS. I'm pretty sure I got this copy of XP in 2003, I put the computer together in 2010 or somewhere around there.

I upgraded to Mac a few years ago, and then fully converted about a year ago. I haven't looked back. I won't start a "why OS X is better than M$" thread, but will say that I couldn't be happier with my computing experience. I work in IT, and have for 15 years. Going Mac was the best decision I made. Major updates for OS X only cost $19.99 and they don't "phone home" either (no serial number is used on OSX). While people often say Mac's cost more than PC's, do a side by side comparison and you'll see the PC actually costs more.

I've never owned a OSX machine but my next one will be. Unless windows 8 can install on my ipad, I am out.