• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

AR Pistols? Anyone have one? Thoughts?

Bu11dog

Just curious who has them?  What you think of them?  What ammo you like?  Accessories?  Etc...

I personally don't own one, but will weigh in having shot a handful.

The biggest factor is what you want out of it. Is it for home defense, range toy or other? The next choice is barrel length, which will be some what defined by your intended use. The barrel length will also determine what ammo you will need to use. A shorter barrel will give you less feet per second and certain ammos may have issues with fragmentation and expansion.

Otherwise your choices will be mostly cosmetic. A quality weapon light is a must and maybe a Micro Dot.

Have you looked at going with a caliber other than 5.56? 300 blackout is pretty popular and offer a couple of benefits over 5.56, especially if you are considering suppressing it.

A note on AR pistols.... Make sure you know the laws. Do some research if you plan on building your own, as certain seemingly minor things can run you afoul of the NFA.

Sig Braces are selling for dirt cheap at the moment, after the ATF reversed a previous ruling. They are still 100% legal to own and use on a pistol, you just can't shoulder it

I have a few 'black guns' in the safe and never saw the allure of an AR pistol.  I don't know what purpose they could serve that another weapon couldn't do better.  Unless you just want one, that I can completely understand.... :p

Having said that, Breedy is on the mark about 300BLK for short barrels.  Designed for that application, and suppresses amazingly well with subsonic loads.  Worth consideration.

I may do an SBR one of these days, but I'll do it legally and it'll have a folding stock on it.  Not saying you were contemplating doing something illegal, but lots of guys went to 'pistols' with the SIG brace in an attempt to save $200 and the wait time.  With the recent BATFE rulings, I personally wouldn't go there.

As they say, one man's opinion - B.B.S.

Well largely I want one for a cool gadget/toy. I certainly can't afford some of the guns I really want but this I can do. I do have a few friends that have the same and another has an SBR. This seems like it fits my lists of wants as needs are already met. I'm going to do 5.56 as the 300 is harder to buy at least locally and I don't reload. Going to do a 7.5" barrel and maybe one day suppress. As for the pistol/SBR argument its pretty clear in NE (as much as can be expected anyway). We'll see how it turns out.

Thank you! That was absolutely the best article I have read about this subject. Nobody I spoke to had any useful answers to my questions. That article answered them all. Again thank you.

Well I have one on the way, hopefully will have it by the weekend. After reading the article several time I went with a 10.5" barrel. Should still fall under 26" total length which will keep it legal as a pistol.

Any updates?

I've been looking at some upper/lower combo's for a .300 Blackout SBR.

773d05451eb123383bd9bdbda979ec09.jpg

10.5" barrel, magpul buis, cheapo reflex sight, magpul bad lever. Have it sighted in for 50'. Need to go put some rounds through it. Omaha weather, well forecasters have made it so I haven't had a day off in 2.5 wks. Need to take care of a couple things that BBS and I spoke about in PM's but sleep and work seem to be all I do right now.

Looks good. You may want to check PrimaryArms.com if your looking to upgrade to a better optic. Fair price, good product and excellent customer service.

Lol, that's where I bought it from! I was looking at their micro red dots.

I have the AimPoint clone and have been really pleased with it. A friend as the micro on his AK and seems to like it.

Well if they keep handing out OT at work like its candy on Halloween I will have that micro sooner than later. I hope to shoot it this week. Don't expect much from the cheapo reflex sight but at least I have the irons to use.