• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Arctic Conditions

jonski

I am struggling to keep my humidor at above 60%. The humidifier of my domed 50cig Manning struggles because of the cold climate. Unfortunatelly cold means drier air. How do I keep my cirars humid in arctic conditions? The humidor is naturally stored indoors at well above 65F. Any tips?

If the humidor is well sealed, you should be able to keep it at the desired humidity by adding water a couple of times.

either a) your hygrometer is off or b) your humi isn't airtight.

Have this exact same problem in my dorm room and I know my humidor isn't air tight but it's not that bad so I just simply got a small humidifier for my room and the humidity really stays a lot more even that way. I also have a tupperdor (funny I didn't need one until I joined this forum) that stays right at 67% where i want it.

I keep those little gel packs in mine from the Fuente bags. My cigar shop buddy hooks me up with them. Don't you all wish Eshaw was your local cigar hook-up? :D

They are extra with my regular humidifier

In my experience the below happened to work, but as always, your mileage will vary... ;)

Once you know that your hygro is at least close to accurate, and assuming you have space in your humi, I would make some credo's out of the wet florist's foam, load them up with PG solution (just distilled water if that's all you have), and stick them in the humi. Then carefully track to see if your humidity increases. Once it gets to where you want it to be, take out the homemade credos, and monitor the humidity again, if it drops too much stick in less credos, or a smaller one. For my situation, my coolidor ended up needing two 3x3x4 blocks of foam in a tupperware...one coverless, the other covered with holes punched in the top. If both were without covers, the humidity would be about 73%, with one covered, 68%. You may need to fine tune the size of your credo to get it to where you want to go. For me I found that the total surface area exposed to air is what helps to regulate the RH, as well as the use of PG solution and/or beads.

Now if the humidity is still too low with all that, I would say try to seal the humi, or just get rid of it, and invest in a nice cooler...my 2 cents.