• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Are Davidoffs really that good?

Jared Nomack

Vintage Human
Recently received a Corona Cigars catalog with an order. Wow, I thought I was playing the game pretty high with the stuff I've been ordering. But there's a whole world of cigars I hadn't really been aware of. I mean, I know a little about the history and all (and they now own Camacho, which is a favorite), but some of those Davidoffs are *pricey*. Are they really that good? Subjective responses requested (what else is there).

I've only had the Late Hour and the Yamasa, both were good smokes. I will probably buy the Late Hour again.

I have The Late Hour and the Yamasa in the cabinet right now. Very nice, awesomely consistent, if pricy smokes. YMMV......

I love the Millennium Blends. They are the only Dominican cigars that I like the way they age. Construction is always amazing! Price and is it worth the price is in the eye of the beholder.

Thanks for the replies.

Ya reckon these'll go on sale at one of those Pennsylvania outfits for 2000% off? (That's a box of 10 btw. Gulp.)

20210519_214729.jpg

Davidoff tends to the mild/medium with a few blends that are stronger. I like the Nicaragua. Davidoff acquired Camacho to round out their lines to have a more full body smoke. In my view, they ruined Comacho.

I attended a Yamasa launch event at a Davidoff shop a few years back. I told the rep the flavor reminded me of Levi Garrett chewing tobacco. He was not pleased. But, that's what it tasted like to me. <Shrug>

Davidoff views itself as a "luxury" brand targeting a "lifestyle" marketing approach. Not all that different than Cigar Aficionado magazine. I'll browse the magazine. I won't be buying a S.T. Dupont Line D Fire-head Guilloche Pen. The Royal Salomones are a component of Davidoff's intended image. Luxury brands usually have an "ultra" product as a component of being a luxury brand. The price does not mean that its that much better than some lesser priced cigars.

As with many things, price is not indicative of value. Davidoff tends to be on the more expensive side. With this cost you generally do get consistency. Quality rolling and a blend that remains consistent year to year which is not easy for an agricultural product.

Are there better or equivalent cigars at a lower price? Sure. Davidoff has some good cigars but the price is some of the weight from its spend on the image. It is also costs of consistency. They do police their brand.

Corona Cigars has been sending me those catalogs for years, ever since my first order with them. Have looked at everything they offer, including those 'pricey' Davidoff cigars but never purchased. $80 & $100 cigars are not my typical forte but I don't see why those would not be really good, maybe even fantastic. Maybe one day .......

Not likely worth asking price in many instances. They do make a few good, occasional splurge, single stick, sampler type smokes in my opinion. The few I’ve had were good. If you're spending that kind of coin, you’re better off landing some well aged CC’s from a trusted source.

Davidoff tends to the mild/medium with a few blends that are stronger. I like the Nicaragua. Davidoff acquired Camacho to round out their lines to have a more full body smoke. In my view, they ruined Comacho.

I attended a Yamasa launch event at a Davidoff shop a few years back. I told the rep the flavor reminded me of Levi Garrett chewing tobacco. He was not pleased. But, that's what it tasted like to me. <Shrug>

Davidoff views itself as a "luxury" brand targeting a "lifestyle" marketing approach. Not all that different than Cigar Aficionado magazine. I'll browse the magazine. I won't be buying a S.T. Dupont Line D Fire-head Guilloche Pen. The Royal Salomones are a component of Davidoff's intended image. Luxury brands usually have an "ultra" product as a component of being a luxury brand. The price does not mean that its that much better than some lesser priced cigars.

As with many things, price is not indicative of value. Davidoff tends to be on the more expensive side. With this cost you generally do get consistency. Quality rolling and a blend that remains consistent year to year which is not easy for an agricultural product.

Are there better or equivalent cigars at a lower price? Sure. Davidoff has some good cigars but the price is some of the weight from its spend on the image. It is also costs of consistency. They do police their brand.

Thanks for that very good (and humorous) explanation. Pretty much what I suspected. Not so much a mild/medium person myself anyway. And when I first read CA last year, I thought... "People still act like this?" :/

I reckon I'll save my dollars (to the extent I have any) for something more ... egalitarian, and keep reading backissues of Easyriders.

I have a few Davidoff's in the humidor which are some of the best NC out there IMHO. Yes they are pricey, but if you like the profile you like the profile. When I worked in Manhattan I was near Barclay Rex and the Davidoff store so I was able to sample all the new releases. Have smoked the Nicaraguan cigars and they are very good. If you compare them to Padron 1964 and 1926 the pricing is comparable for the quality. The quality control on the Davi's is top notch, some of the most perfectly rolled cigars you will ever examine. YMMV

Great thread! Now I am going to go dig through my stuff and see if I can find one to smoke today!

If memory serves, which is rare these days, the ones I've smoked were more of a situational thing. Awesome construction, good draw/burn, mild flavor, then move on to a great cigar.

Edited to add....hah! I found one, courtesy of Jon @cabaiguan juan, a Late Hour which I will smoke today :)

Last edited:
I used to be huge Davidoff fan. That was until the whole AVO fiasco, where they took normal line cigars and re-banded them as a special release and increased the MSRP by $1.00. Saw that as huge **** move and have been put off alot of what that company touches; to an extent. I basically refuse to buy any special line from them and mostly stick to normal lines.

There are too many other brands that are FAR more deserving of my loyalty and cash to waste my time on brand that screws over its customers.