• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Artificially Cooling Down a Warm Humidor?

Gpruitt54

I recently upgraded to a larger glass top humidor. I keep it in my home office. I just dialed in the RH to around 62-64 RH. Now I am working dialing in the temp. My old 50 cigar, all wood humidor was a consistent RH of 70, with a consistent temp of 72. This new 150 cigar humidor seems more sensitive to temp of the room. The new humidor is not near a heating vent and is not subjected to window light. If the office gets a little warm, the humidor has at times, spiked to 77+ degrees F.

Is there an artificial means of keeping the humidor temps in check when needed? Would a cooling fan or other such product work to cool the air around the humidor on those occasions with the office temp jumps?

I recently upgraded to a larger glass top humidor. I keep it in my home office. I just dialed in the RH to around 62-64 RH. Now I am working dialing in the temp. My old 50 cigar, all wood humidor was a consistent RH of 70, with a consistent temp of 72. This new 150 cigar humidor seems more sensitive to temp of the room. The new humidor is not near a heating vent and is not subjected to window light. If the office gets a little warm, the humidor has at times, spiked to 77+ degrees F.

Is there an artificial means of keeping the humidor temps in check when needed? Would a cooling fan or other such product work to cool the air around the humidor on those occasions with the office temp jumps?
For a desktop you would need to cool room. Or get one of the small wine fridge type that control temperature.

Interesting. I thought it might be enough to simply cool the air around the humidor. I am working to adjust the temp in the Man Cave, where the humidor is suppose to live. As of now, in these warmer period in the Mid-West, the Man Cave temps top out at 77 Degrees F.

First and foremost, go to the introduction forum and introduce yourself so we know who we are talking to.

There has to be something effecting the temp of the humidor if the room is at 72 and the humidor is at 77.

Are you sure the sensor is accurate?

Is it near a laptop where the laptop fan could be blowing on it?

Also, it is the belief here, by many who are more experienced than me, that long term storage at 62-64 percent is not good for the oils in the cigars. I know I wouldn't do it.

Last but not least, if you have a passion for cigars, start looking into a coolidor. Any large odorless cooler you can purchase pretty inexpensively will maintain temp and humidity better than a wooden/glass humidor. I owned several "good" wooden humidors and never had one that wasn't a constant maintenance issue.

First and foremost, go to the introduction forum and introduce yourself so we know who we are talking to.

There has to be something effecting the temp of the humidor if the room is at 72 and the humidor is at 77.

Are you sure the sensor is accurate?

Is it near a laptop where the laptop fan could be blowing on it?

Also, it is the belief here, by many who are more experienced than me, that long term storage at 62-64 percent is not good for the oils in the cigars. I know I wouldn't do it.

Last but not least, if you have a passion for cigars, start looking into a coolidor. Any large odorless cooler you can purchase pretty inexpensively will maintain temp and humidity better than a wooden/glass humidor. I owned several "good" wooden humidors and never had one that wasn't a constant maintenance issue.
I have added a post into the introduction section of the forum.

The humidor (150 cigar, class top) is in my Man Cave. The cave temp does fluctuate as the day progresses. Cool in the morning and afternoon. Warmer towards the late afternoon and evening. I run a computer 24/7. The PC goes into sleep mode overnight. There is also a LED Flat screen TV in the cave. Neither of these devices are near the humidor. Because there are cooling issues in my cave, I run a cooling fan. I tried directing the cooling fan directly at the humidor, but that had no effect in regulating the temp inside the humidor.

In the two weeks I've owned this new humidor, by evening the humidor is at 77F/61RH. Yes, I am looking into buying a thermal electric cigar cooler/humidor.