• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Ashtray Suggestions

EliWaynne

Here is what I use for an ashtray. I picked it up at walmart for about 3 bucks. Works great for the most part. However, if I want to set down my cigar it slides to the middle, naturally.

I've been trying to figure out how to jimmy-rig this thing to set my cigars down and coming up short. I'm thinking if I put something in the middle to keep it from sliding. Works sometimes, other ties not.

Any ideas for me?

20220717_141618.jpg

I use a small stinky. Wish I had the bigger one that has at least 2 cigar rests for when a buddy comes over but it’s pretty awesome 5E3E5534-3D2C-4C00-AB59-3349D9868D7C.jpeg

Get a copper shot glass, turn it upside down, hammer a dent into the bottom of the glass, and glue-stick down in the center.

Or set one of these in it...
cigar-toy-2-800.jpg

Last edited:
So many options , from store bought to handmade. Depends on what you want and what your budget is.

Sometimes cbid has ashtrays cheap.

With the one you have you could pick up a cigar rest amd call it a day

Here is what I use for an ashtray. I picked it up at walmart for about 3 bucks. Works great for the most part. However, if I want to set down my cigar it slides to the middle, naturally.

I've been trying to figure out how to jimmy-rig this thing to set my cigars down and coming up short. I'm thinking if I put something in the middle to keep it from sliding. Works sometimes, other ties not.

Any ideas for me?

View attachment 58232

I'll 2nd what Nate said.. if you have a rest, use the tray you have now.. it looks nice and appears ceramic, a plus. It won't be long until you end up with a bunch of free ashtrays that are cigar specific. I have dozens.. maybe paid for 2 of them.

If you want something now, the Stinkies are great.. but like Corey said, get a minimum dual rest. They're all over ebay and you can get a used one.

Do you have a Dremel and have experience with using it? I have successfully used the little drum sander on ceramic and it works well. I suppose you could do the same thing to create a rest on it. Be aware you will remove the glazing which isn't a big deal but it can stain and collect moisture.

Do you have a Dremel and have experience with using it? I have successfully used the little drum sander on ceramic and it works well. I suppose you could do the same thing to create a rest on it. Be aware you will remove the glazing which isn't a big deal but it can stain and collect moisture.
Apparently they make a bit for this purpose now.

Grab a piece of 1 inch dowel rod, drill a small pilot hole in the center as a starter and then drill a 5/8 hole with a paddle bit. Use your chop saw to cut two holders and glue them to the bottom.

I'll 2nd what Nate said.. if you have a rest, use the tray you have now.. it looks nice and appears ceramic, a plus. It won't be long until you end up with a bunch of free ashtrays that are cigar specific. I have dozens.. maybe paid for 2 of them.

If you want something now, the Stinkies are great.. but like Corey said, get a minimum dual rest. They're all over ebay and you can get a used one.
Thanks, you and @Nate1977, for the suggestion. Sometimes things are over thought and the simple, obvious choice is front of you. It is ceramic. Ill check Amazon for a cigar rest to add to it.

I thought about the Drenel angle, but wasn't sure. It's fairly thin ceramic on the sides. Didn't want to break it. Not that 3 bucks would hurt buying a new one, just don't want to have to go to Walmart again!

Grab a piece of 1 inch dowel rod, drill a small pilot hole in the center as a starter and then drill a 5/8 hole with a paddle bit. Use your chop saw to cut two holders and glue them to the bottom.
Not a bad idea, cheap too. I'll add that to the list.

Will the slits in the black part fit over the rim ?
I thought the handles were threaded all the way across, but upon further inspection, they are not.

They aren't wide enough to fith the other way, but now that you mention it, I might be able to bend them a little wider. I'll have to check that out.