• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Astral Favorito "Special" from JR

This review is being written for one reason, and one reason only to help out the new cigar smokers/college students and those on a tight budget. Medium and full bodied cigars smokers need not apply! LOL! :wink:I was monitoring the JR Cigar forum last night because everyone was in bed at Cigar Pass. They were having a terrific "knock down - drag out" discussion over Lew's latest special offer. He is selling an Astral Favorito, which normally retails for &#36145 for &#3629.95 per box up until Wednesday, August 8th. People were fussing because the box was not to their liking and the shape was not to their liking, etc. Finally, the man, Lew himself, came onto the forum and told them to shut the heck up, and send the cigars back if they are not satisfied! I nearly laughed my arse off! Typical grumpy Lewism. LOL! These cigars normally retail for &#365.80 per stick, but he is selling these for &#3629.95 per box of 25 up until 8/08. Is that a no brainer or what? :shocked:I finally decided to run by JRs today on the way home from visiting customers, and check it out. What the heck! The employees in the store in Statesville were not even aware that the cigars were on sale, contained aged tobacco, were a potential hot item, etc. I had to advise them, but that's OK!Specifications and Tasting Notes:ASTRAL FAVORITOS     (25 per box)Medium brown, natural wrappers only.
Vitolae: 48 x 7" Slightly tapered to a point.
Producer: Centro America Cigar, Co. - Honduras
Normally retails for &#36145, now &#3629.95
Lew said online last night that these cigars were in a warehouse in Honduras that had been closed for some time. He also said that the cigars contained tobacco that was between 3 and 5 years old. THAT'S WHAT GOT MY ATTENTION!!!! Three to five year old cigars for basically &#361.25 a stick....gotta check 'em out! The boxes are new, the tobacco is old - according to Lew. This cigar is different from the last Favoritos in that they don't have the lighting foot, but rather are cut cleanly across.The light brown appearance/wrapper of the cigar is good for a dog rocket. The shade of the wrapper is very similar to that of a Cohiba Esplendido that is in the humi. Neatly rolled, very tiny veins in the wrapper leaves. Cheapo band.The cigar that I am smoking, as I type this, was rolled semi-properly. The only thing that I have to say is that it is "way underfilled." Can you say "Pillsbury Doughboy?"Cigar lit easily. Nice light gray ash. Burning perfectly even and symetrical. Zero runners. Draw is too good - whatta ya expect from a loose cigar. The first ash dropped off by itself at a full two inches long...nice. The second one was just as long. Plentiful blue smoke.Taste: This is a MILD cigar that displays notes of sweet tobacco initially, then changes to a prevalent cedar taste. It then changed back to sweet about 2/3 of the way down. Not bad. The last 1/2 of the cigar was not nearly as good though.I knew that this cigar would be mild, since I smoked a few of these when I started my cigar journey with the milder smokes.  Mucho cedar taste, which I personally don't favor, but it makes for a nice change of pace.  Wait a minute...here comes the sweet tobacco taste again! There is a lingering taste of cedar, sweet tobacco, and cardboard in the last half - maybe I need another sip of coffee. The first 1/2 of the cigar is good - the second half was not as great! At this price you can toss them over the rail halfway down and not worry about the cost. Probably not a "nubber," but that's just my humble opinion.For a newbie smoker on a budget or those who regularly smoke Consuegra to keep their costs down...this is a good change of pace cigar. If they had not been on special I wouldn't have ever bought them though.Personal Grade: C+/B-  Cigar Aficionado Grade: Probably around a 83 would be my guesstimate. Not the best cigar that I have ever smoked by a long shot, but not the worst either. I am not going to send them back, since they were soooo cheap. I can always use them to kill grub worms in the yard if they DON'T improve with further aging. As Lew said last night, what the heck do you expect for &#361.25 per stick. PS: If you haven't tried any Connies (Consuegra) with dark wrappers, buy those instead of the Astrals. They are better initially, even cheaper, and age wonderfully. Also try the El Credito (La Gloria Cubana) bundles that are made from the left overs at the end of the day. They are a cheap smoke also, and they age very well. The El Creditos are spicy/peppery and aging tones down their harshness. Also, the Magic Mountain Torpedo samplers are really cheap at JR, and they are a much better cigar...rated <90> by Cigar Aficionado. I smoked a few of them and they taste good now but will get much better with age. I bought a couple more of the Torpedo sampler boxes to stick into the humidor.Just some suggestions for those on a budget.....looking for something different.This is a good cigar for &#361.25, but I would have been P.O.'ed to have paid &#365.00 for this stick. Humidor time will help these smokes. I will put these in my Coolerdor, and try one occasionally. If you like to smoke inexpensive stogies, and prefer the taste of sweet tobacco/cedar...give these a try. They probably won't last long for this price. I wanted the Cigar Pass members to be aware of this.Again, Opus X/Cuban/Premium Cigar smokers need not apply - unless you like this combination of flavors!
Sam :cool:

Why didnt you write this last night!! I bought a box of them today!! ####!!Oh wellHey waitahh lets see. I have a box of astals that were 125.00 bucks but for my buddies at cigarpass I wil sacrifice at 59.95!!! Man what a guy huh!! LOL.Guess I should have bought more connies!!

Not a bad thing at all Sam. Like I said its easy on the wallet and it still takes up space and satisfies that urge to have a package coming to the door every day!!

Sam like you said this is a mild cigar. In my book a very mild cigar. That's why I didn't jump on this deal. I've had these cigars in the past and they are good for beginning smokers. But your best bang for the buck are still Consuegras. ####, I've been loading up on 73, 733, and 9's for the past month. The 9's need some more sleep in the coolidor but the 73 and 733 are ready to smoke.Great review Sam.

Actually these are the Perfections in Favorito boxes, the only difference is the direction of taper, the perfection is a classic taper small head to large foot, the favorito is large head to small foot taper. Again this is a very mild cigar that is nice if you like a mild slightly peppery taste, but mostly just hot air. If you missed it, don't worry you didn't miss much. buy connies when you can, I love the 30M, 9M, 73M, and the 16M.

Sam The Man,What's the web site for this sale? It may be worth my time. Thanks.SKYDIVNEKDPS: I've heard about the Connies 9, 73. Where is the best site to pick these up? Any hints/favorites?

Skydivnekd,The Astral Favoritos was the JR Cigars special sale item about a week ago. I don't know if there is any of these left or not, but you can find out by checking their great website at http://www.jrcigars.com/ JR Cigars is also the place to buy Connies (Consuegra cigars), which are really cheap, and really great after 6 months aging. I like to buy the Connies in JRs local store, because they are ususlly preaged in the warehouse...the cellophane which holds the cigars are yellow from age and you can pick out some jet black maduro wrappers if you search the shelves! They have other specials running currently which are outstanding. The Bolivar Fuerte is great if you like a full bodied cigar, and so are the Puros Indios. Their JR Ultimate is fantastic with or without a little age. Use their search feature to find the type of cigars that you like, whether it is mild, medium, or full bodied. Click on the box and add this to the search and it will bring up all of those cigars with the strength that you like...a great feature that eliminates much guesswork."Good Luck"
Sam

Sam The Man,Thanks for the addy. They were still available so I ordered a box. While they had me I got a box of Connie 16M, 9N, 14E. I figured I check to see what all of the hype was about.The way it loks though, it may be 6 months before I fire one up. I'll let ya know.SKYDIVNEKD