• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Attention home cooks/butchers/BBQ'ers - what the heck is this???

The Black Cloud

Hey all, so I was trimming a beef tri-tip for a BBQ tomorrow and as I'm trimming through a layer of fat I cut through this somewhat bulbous sack. I've never seen something like this in meat I've prepped. Anybody know what it is? I'm worried it's some kind of parasite or lesion. It wasn't really hard and the interior of it was rather soft, maybe spongy. I'm planning on smoking it tomorrow for some friends but now I'm nervous that I should trash the whole thing. Can anybody lend any advice?

ETA: I've cut the whole sack out and trashed it, but still worried about the rest of the tri-tip.

That Reddit post yucked me out a bit....lol

Yeah. I was wondering if I was uncovering some alien fetus when I sliced into that tri-tip.

I know a guy that worked a great deal of his life at a meat packing plant. Let's just say there are worse things things to be worried about when enjoying meat. People are strange.

Is it throughout the meat as well or just the fat? When I worked in a meat department, we would ensure that it was only in the fat and didn't come into contact with any of the meat. If it did, we just threw it away. Otherwise we cut it off, threw the fat away (didn't use it for any ground burger) and used the meat as normal.

I haven't run into that before...but I wouldn't gamble with it. I'm always overly cautious with the prep/ cook/ storage of proteins.

Tri Tip is usually cheap enough to where it's not worth the risk...I get them for $8-$10 a piece. If it were me, it'd be in the garbage and I'd just go get another.

Is it throughout the meat as well or just the fat? When I worked in a meat department, we would ensure that it was only in the fat and didn't come into contact with any of the meat. If it did, we just threw it away. Otherwise we cut it off, threw the fat away (didn't use it for any ground burger) and used the meat as normal.
It was only in the fat and did not penetrate the meat. It was right next to the meat, however.

I haven't run into that before...but I wouldn't gamble with it. I'm always overly cautious with the prep/ cook/ storage of proteins.

Tri Tip is usually cheap enough to where it's not worth the risk...I get them for $8-$10 a piece. If it were me, it'd be in the garbage and I'd just go get another.
In retrospect I should have just taken it back and exchanged it. I'll keep it in mind for next time. As for this one it just came out of the smoker and then broiler to crisp the outside a bit. I have a couple friends coming over. I will disclose to them what's up with the tri-tip and leave it up to them. Once it's rested I'll slice it up and see how it looks inside. If it looks weird, in the trash it'll go.

I'm not worried about an upset stomach, per se. I'm more worried about parasites or worse.

FYI, the tri-tip looked fine and tasted fine as well. Nothing out of the ordinary to comment on. If that changes, I'll let yall know.

I probably would have taken it back as well, however pictures aside, if offered to me fresh out the smoker, I know I would have ate it anyways. Lol

Never seen that before and I have cooked a lot of tri-tips. Good to hear that everything turned out alright.