• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Authenticity/Burn question

snave8

In the past, I've smoked the Monte Cristo Edmundo many times and have always found it to consistent with a perfect burn right down to the band.
The cigars have been in my humidor, in the tubes @ 69 degrees/65% humidity for 6 days.
Last night I smoked the first two and was totally disappointing in the burn. Both cigars required constant correction and both experienced "tunneling" throughout the entire burn.
I've been smoking Cuban Cigars for years and have never experienced anything like this.
When I received the cigars, the first thing I did was closely examine each cigar for authenticity.
The cigars were in three packs, in genuine Habanos boxes. They all had genuine (newest style) embossed, centered Monte Cristo labels that were perfectly lined up where they attach. The caps were correct (triple), and the tubes were genuine. I have some Edmundos three packs I purchased on a recent trip to Canada so I was able to do a side by side comparison of all the components. Other than the latest shipment wrappers being darker than the ones I purchased in Canada.....Everything appearance wise was identical and appeared correct. If they are fake, the retailer went to great extent to make them look authentic.
Smoking them is a completely different story. They tasted like Edmundo's, the draw was like an Edmundo, but the burn was awful.
The only suspicious thing I found was that I was able to peel the labels off where they overlap with very little effort. The seal was broken on each box, but I was informed that would be the case before I ordered, and that practice is not uncommon, as the retailer wants to make sure there are no issues with the cigars befoer they are shipped.
In the past I've found that the only way to get Monte labels off was to gently slide them off, and that took considerable careful effort.
Did I get duped, did I get a "bad" batch, or is this a humidity variance issue.
Any thoughts?

Last edited:
Typically you have to post who you are and what you like to smoke. Coming on board and tossing out a authenticity questions is extremely bad form! Read the instructions in red for becoming a member on CP!

Any thoughts?

...yeah. Discussing sources and asking authenticity questions right out of the gate is bad form. This is a community of cigar enthusiasts, not your own personal cigar Wikipedia.

I'd recommending editing your post to conform to the rules of the forums, reading more and posting less for a while, and sticking around for the wealth of knowledge that is available here.

Unless your looking to get kicked out of here, I suggest you take the advice given.

Very poor form.

Your not likely going to get very nice responses from here on out if this is how you will conduct yourself around here.

Read more, post less.

Wow, sorry I didn't see the PM requesting I post an intro....Wasn't intentional
I will do the intro thing, but is there something wrong with asking the questions I asked?
Seems like a perfectly legitimate thing to ask, in fact the PM i just read invites questions.
Isn't that the purpose of a forum such as this?
I removed the reference to the retailer.......Other than that, what so wrong with my question that I could be "kicked out"
I just Re-read the rules, I don't see where I violated anything.
I'm confused.......

Look at it this way, would you walk into someone's house where you don't know anybody and immediately start asking everyone how much they make and a bunch of personal questions? Probably not. I would assume you'd take your time to adjust, read the room and let the room read you, and proceed easy and relaxed. Consider this forum as that room you just walked into. Relax, kick back, and get to know people and let them get to know you before getting to the whole ISOM stuff. We pride ourselves on being a tight-knit community here, and not just an anonymous info board with no personal connections between the posters.

The question itself is not a bad one asking it on your first post is bad form. Uncertainty about cigars is a normal concern, but we don't know you from Adam and you want to ask about cigars that for the most part are illegal for US citizen's. The advice to give an intro and participate is a good start.

The question itself is not a bad one asking it on your first post is bad form. Uncertainty about cigars is a normal concern, but we don't know you from Adam and you want to ask about cigars that for the most part are illegal for US citizen's. The advice to give an intro and participate is a good start.

Now I'm even more lost......
What was personal about my question?? I was looking for an opinion/advice
Cuban cigars can be legally possessed by US citizens can't they?
How can I participate if I can't ask a question???
Where can I find the etiquette rules for the forum so I don't make this mistake again?

Now I'm even more lost......
What was personal about my question?? I was looking for an opinion/advice
Cuban cigars can be legally possessed by US citizens can't they?
How can I participate if I can't ask a question???
Where can I find the etiquette rules for the forum so I don't make this mistake again?
There is a rules page but no etiquette page. Though Cuban cigars can be legally possessed, they can not be legally mail ordered. It is taboo on most forums to come in and ask for sources or source verification. If you had just stated you were having burn issues on a new box of cigars and were curious what the potential causes could be, the responses here would have been different. You still would have been told to post an intro, but other than that, the responses would have looked more like what's below.

As for the burn issue you are having, it could be multiple things. The quality of the box may just be crap. Personally, I don't think you gave them enough time to acclimate, so telling if it's a crap box, poor construction, or a humidity issue is difficult to tell. Try letting them rest for at least a month and revisit them.

There is a rules page but no etiquette page. Though Cuban cigars can be legally possessed, they can not be legally mail ordered. It is taboo on most forums to come in and ask for sources or source verification. If you had just stated you were having burn issues on a new box of cigars and were curious what the potential causes could be, the responses here would have been different. You still would have been told to post an intro, but other than that, the responses would have looked more like what's below.

As for the burn issue you are having, it could be multiple things. The quality of the box may just be crap. Personally, I don't think you gave them enough time to acclimate, so telling if it's a crap box, poor construction, or a humidity issue is difficult to tell. Try letting them rest for at least a month and revisit them.
Ditto that and try dry boxing for a couple days, a baggies will do.

Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of "the rules" Maybe in the future you might include that link in the initial email.
How would anyone new to this forum have known to read that thread??
Seems it would have been a little more welcoming to have just said something to the effect "hey, we realize your new here but please read the following......"
Rather than tell me I could be "kicked out" for asking a benign logical question that had NOTHING TO DO WITH SHIPPING methods for getting cuban cigars into the country......Which are now LEGAL TO POSSESS.
I re-read The previous post about going to a party and asking how much someone I don't know makes. While I'm not sure how that analogy is even remotely applicable to the question I posted, I have to ask myself, if I went to a party and didn't know anyone, and they were talking about car problems for example, and I mentioned a problem I was having, and the response I got was similar to the responses I've gotten here....What would I do....Certainly Leave.
I'm a member of many different forums related to different hobbies I have. My initial motivation for joining all of them (as with most people) was to to obtain information I couldn't get elsewhere. My questions have always been answered in a very polite welcoming manner.
I've never experienced anything like this type of hostile environment on ANY forum EVER.

Last edited:
But thanks to the last two posters who clearly explained what the issue with my question was and politely answered my question.

I've revised my question to make it Compliant (I think), since it is now legal to posses Cuban Cigars in the US

Club? Nope, we're a community. You fucked up. Live with it and move on. If you haven't posted an intro, now is a good time.

Doc

I've revised my question to make it Compliant (I think), since it is now legal to posses Cuban Cigars in the US
Did the embargo end?
We're very friendly. Once you've read and understood things, you should realize that Yahoos come and go all the tine here and ask one question then disappear. If that's not you, stick around, post an introduction in the introduce yourself here thread. You'll be just fine. But you'll need thicker skin. We bust balls often, it's a take n give. You'll be fine.

Welcome.

C

Last edited:
Thanks for the link, I wasn't aware of "the rules" Maybe in the future you might include that link in the initial email.
How would anyone new to this forum have known to read that thread??
Seems it would have been a little more welcoming to have just said something to the effect "hey, we realize your new here but please read the following......"
Rather than tell me I could be "kicked out" for asking a benign logical question that had NOTHING TO DO WITH SHIPPING methods for getting cuban cigars into the country......Which are now LEGAL TO POSSESS.
I re-read The previous post about going to a party and asking how much someone I don't know makes. While I'm not sure how that analogy is even remotely applicable to the question I posted, I have to ask myself, if I went to a party and didn't know anyone, and they were talking about car problems for example, and I mentioned a problem I was having, and the response I got was similar to the responses I've gotten here....What would I do....Certainly Leave.
I'm a member of many different forums related to different hobbies I have. My initial motivation for joining all of them (as with most people) was to to obtain information I couldn't get elsewhere. My questions have always been answered in a very polite welcoming manner.
I've never experienced anything like this type of hostile environment on ANY forum EVER.
The point was: you're a stranger to us and we're strangers to you. Slow your roll with asking about the Cuban cigar stuff as it's frowned upon from new posters here. If you didn't already know that, well now you do. I'm not trying to be mean at all. Just trying to give advice to how things work on this forum which may be different than other forums.

As an aside, there used to be big red letters at the top of the Cuban cigars forum that spelled out all the rules for new posters. I don't think it's there anymore (or at least I didn't see it when I backed out). I remember when I signed up here at CP I got an email explaining the rules and customs of the forums, especially in relation to Cubans. That was back in 2006 so I'm not sure if Rod still auto-sends that email out to new members.