• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Backpacking Humidor

Nihon_Ni

真喜志友幸
I'm in need of some advice from the collective. I'm planning a week-long solo backpacking trip in a few weeks and I'm struggling to find a humidor solution. I want it to be fairly light weight, compact, crushproof, and hold 8-10 robustos. The challenge is finding a solution that meets all of these parameters.

I have a 15 count Herf-a-dor but it's bigger and heavier than I really want to lug for 100 miles, although it certainly is crushproof. I'm sure the extra capacity wouldn't go to waste, and it's always nice to have options at the end of a long day's hike. I have a 5 count I've taken on shorter trips where weight and space wasn't as big of an issue, but on this trip I may have to have all my supplies on my back at the start. Buying a 10 count to round out my collection of Herf-a-dors is an option.

I've thought about using a couple of Ziploc bags and storing them inside my coffee pot, which is the only cookware I'm bringing. That might be the best lightweight option, but there's a chance the sticks could get damaged as the lid isn't secure and sometimes the pot gets a bit out of round in my pack.

I found this 8 count travel humidor online today. Does anyone have experience with it or something similar? I'm not sure how well this seals or how crushproof it is, but the quantity is right.

Does anyone have a solution that I haven't considered yet?

How about a dress box that originally held a #5 size cigar that you can now fill with your robustos and then put it in a zip lock with a Boveda pack?

This is an example of why I try to save any tubos I get. They come in handy for these type of situations.

I picked up a 10 count xikar a while back. Light weight and takes a lock so won't open on me. Works great to dry box my cigars for the week.

Are you packing and moving every morning? If so, why not just wrap them up in a ziploc/inside some bubble wrap, inside your sleeping bag/mat, when you pack up?

I found this 8 count travel humidor online today. Does anyone have experience with it or something similar? I'm not sure how well this seals or how crushproof it is, but the quantity is right.

I had a smaller telescoping case. If all your smokes aren't exactly the same size, the smaller ones can slide up and down. I also had a small issue with the lid resting directly against the taller smokes. And then if the lid is pushed down, you risk some crushing. Sounds like whatever you choose will get quite a workout, so I would avoid that one.

41XJvD6jSnL.jpg
How about a food storage container. They come is so many sizes, are light weight, air/water tight and can hold up to some crushing. Throw in a Boveda packet and a smidge of bubble wrap to keep things from moving, and you have a cheap solution.

Does anyone have a solution that I haven't considered yet?

I bought this exact humidor about a month ago. It's great to carry in the car and you can fit 10 smokes in there depending on ring gauges, but for reasons mentioned above it may not be the best if you're going to be carting it around. Smaller cigars will get a lot of banging around, as will most of the cigars after you don't have it packed full. Cracked the top of a Holy Lance pretty good when I jammed the lid down with that reservoir under the hygrometer in just the right spot. Other than that, from home to car to patio it's tip top, lol.

Are you packing and moving every morning? If so, why not just wrap them up in a ziploc/inside some bubble wrap, inside your sleeping bag/mat, when you pack up?

Yes, I'll be moving every morning -- at least that's the plan. I have an internal frame pack, so everything gets pretty packed inside.

I had a smaller telescoping case. If all your smokes aren't exactly the same size, the smaller ones can slide up and down. I also had a small issue with the lid resting directly against the taller smokes. And then if the lid is pushed down, you risk some crushing. Sounds like whatever you choose will get quite a workout, so I would avoid that one.

That's good feedback, thanks.

I bought this exact humidor about a month ago. It's great to carry in the car and you can fit 10 smokes in there depending on ring gauges, but for reasons mentioned above it may not be the best if you're going to be carting it around. Smaller cigars will get a lot of banging around, as will most of the cigars after you don't have it packed full. Cracked the top of a Holy Lance pretty good when I jammed the lid down with that reservoir under the hygrometer in just the right spot. Other than that, from home to car to patio it's tip top, lol.

Thanks. I think I'll pass on this option for the trail.

How about a food storage container. They come is so many sizes, are light weight, air/water tight and can hold up to some crushing. Throw in a Boveda packet and a smidge of bubble wrap to keep things from moving, and you have a cheap solution.

Thanks, I'll have to look into this. I think a couple of smaller containers would pack easier than one big one, as long as they are sturdy enough to resist crushing.

I picked up a 10 count xikar a while back. Light weight and takes a lock so won't open on me. Works great to dry box my cigars for the week.

This is the one that would hold up the best on the trail, but it will take up a lot of space in my pack.

Maybe I'll leave out my change of clothes and pack more cigars!!

How about a couple five-finger baggies and a Boveda pack inside a flat/low profile Tupperware container? Something single portion size, with a bubble wrap square to keep things from rattling around? Light weight, very little extra space taken up, and the cigars are protected from damage by the individual sleeves.

~Boar

I'd take the 15-count and have two a day. Easy decision. :)

If space is premium and you only want 8, I'd shell out for the 10 count otterbox-like. You know the cigars won't be crushed. Keep a Ziploc you can fill with air to take up any space.

John

This is an example of why I try to save any tubos I get. They come in handy for these type of situations.

MM has it right. I've been doing section hikes on the Appliation Trail for the past 6 years or so. The longest being 4 nights 5 days. I save AT's just this reason. They pack light and fit easily in a side zipper pouch which leaves plenty of room for the flask. Enjoy your hike!

I'd take the 15-count and have two a day. Easy decision. :)

If space is premium and you only want 8, I'd shell out for the 10 count otterbox-like. You know the cigars won't be crushed. Keep a Ziploc you can fill with air to take up any space.

John
What I was going to say. Just carry the big one. Take a couple extra for some trail magic.

This is the one that would hold up the best on the trail, but it will take up a lot of space in my pack.

Maybe I'll leave out my change of clothes and pack more cigars!!
I'm assuming you will be in the wilderness. Who would notice you don't have clean clothes?

Thanks for all the replies gents.

I think I need to try fitting my 15 count into my pack with the rest of my gear and supplies, and see if it all fits. I wish my pack was larger, but it's probably good that it isn't because I'd tend to fill it up.