• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Beads Turned Yellow, Still Good?

Chemyst

Half of the beads in my Vinotemp have turned yellow.
The Vinotemp has 1/2 lb. of beads on the top shelf,
and 1/2 lb. of beads on the bottom, both in 11"X14"
trays.

None of them have ever been directly touched by any
liquid, only indirectly by absorbing water vapor from
water in a shot glass.

I'm not sure of the source of the now yellow beads.
They may be some that I picked up a few years ago
from vendor #1.
Or, they might be some that I picked up from vendor #2,
when I got the Vinotemp last spring.
Not sure which is which.

Comments appreciated.

Chemyst :cool:

Nothing to worry about. The beads are absorbing the oils that the cigars give off as they age. The discoloration will not afect the way the beads perform.

I've had yellow beads for years, no problem.

Nothing to worry about. The beads are absorbing the oils that the cigars give off as they age. The discoloration will not afect the way the beads perform.

Thanks for posting the information above. I love this site.

no worries, I have mine the same way. As posted before, about the oils. just think of it as adding color.

Thanks for the info, everyone.
I haven't noticed a change in performance,
only in the color.

Chemyst :cool:

I must have some really oily cigars in one of my desktops cuz the beads are almost brown now. Maybe they're oil sucking zombie beads! (I'm playing way too much L4D) :laugh:

I too noticed yellow beads today. I have my beads in a container that makes it difficult to see them. I only decided to check the beads because I noticed a sort of stale water smell in my humidor. This smell is a new development. My humidor used to smell like a wonderful mix of tobacco and cedar. Now it seems that even the cigars have taken on this "stale water" smell. I have had my beads in the humi for about 6 months now.

I have read from two different sources about the yellowing of these beads. One of the sources claims that it is due to the beads taking on the resin from the cedar. The other source has said that it is due to the beads taking on the oils secreated from the cigars.

If either of these are true, shouldn't the beads smell like cedar or like tobacco and not this stale smell I am experiencing?

I have read that the beads yellowing is very normal. If this is the case, shouldn't everyone experience this eventually?

The yellow color doesn't bother me as much as the strange odor I'm smelling. Are any of you who have yellow beads experiencing a change in odor in your humidors?

Thanks.

Interesting that this came up. I recently noticed that some of my beads had popped open and Blackened looks almost like a mold but, upon further inspection it didn't appear to be. Anyhow, I did not want to risk it and ordered more and tossed the bad beads and restocked.

These beads had only distilled water and were about 2yrs old bought from a vendor recommended here. Only thing I can think of is user error in that I had been pouring the water on the beads instead of re hydrating by spraying or absorbsion. I now spray the new beads.

Anybody else seen this one yet?

I too noticed yellow beads today. I have my beads in a container that makes it difficult to see them. I only decided to check the beads because I noticed a sort of stale water smell in my humidor. This smell is a new development. My humidor used to smell like a wonderful mix of tobacco and cedar. Now it seems that even the cigars have taken on this "stale water" smell. I have had my beads in the humi for about 6 months now.

I have read from two different sources about the yellowing of these beads. One of the sources claims that it is due to the beads taking on the resin from the cedar. The other source has said that it is due to the beads taking on the oils secreated from the cigars.

If either of these are true, shouldn't the beads smell like cedar or like tobacco and not this stale smell I am experiencing?

I have read that the beads yellowing is very normal. If this is the case, shouldn't everyone experience this eventually?

The yellow color doesn't bother me as much as the strange odor I'm smelling. Are any of you who have yellow beads experiencing a change in odor in your humidors?

Thanks.

I don't have any experience to back this up but I would carefully check the cigars and humidor for mold and/or mildew. That's what the description of a stale water smell brought to mind for me.