• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Best humidity for long term storage

Replying so I get pinged. Ive heard higher Humidity is better for long term aging, but I don't know how valid that is.

The idea is to keep as much of the oils intact without developing mold. 70rh - 72rh is where I keep my cabinet. I dry box all smokes to 55 - 60 for 2 to 7 days before lighting up.

My cabinet is tall and thin, much like a phone booth. I run ~70% in the bottom, which yields ~67-68% in the top. Works for me.

Humid air is less dense and rises.
I suspect the warmer air at the top is why your sensors show you to have a lower relative humidity reading.

68 - 70%...... You will see oils dry out over a long period of time at 62%. Won't be anything as dramatic as if you completely neglected them for several months at 40%, but they will never be what they should have been. I've bought a few boxes from the "Old School" Europeans that insisted 62% was the magic number. They were all flat and just didn't seem right. Don't know how to explain it other than I just could tell. I steer away when I see someone stating they've been stored at that RH, and they have had that vintage box since 2003, etc.

Humid air is less dense and rises.
I suspect the warmer air at the top is why your sensors show you to have a lower relative humidity reading.
Interesting theory. Though, my pelt coolers are about 2/3 the way to the top of the cabinet, so that's where the cold air comes from when the coolers run. Bob built me a pretty solid cabinet...temps and RH vary a little top to bottom but I can live with it. The stuff I'm aging goes in the bottom, the stuff I'm likely to smoke goes higher in the cabinet. Temps are usually well below the set point and the RH is a point or two different, top to bottom. I can live with it.....:cool:

Slightly off topic, I sure recommend the Sensor Push hygrometers. Salt calibrated mine, then I put one in the top and one in the bottom of the cabinet. Works fantastically.....easy to recommend.

Interesting theory. Though, my pelt coolers are about 2/3 the way to the top of the cabinet, so that's where the cold air comes from when the coolers run. Bob built me a pretty solid cabinet...temps and RH vary a little top to bottom but I can live with it. The stuff I'm aging goes in the bottom, the stuff I'm likely to smoke goes higher in the cabinet. Temps are usually well below the set point and the RH is a point or two different, top to bottom. I can live with it.....:cool:

Slightly off topic, I sure recommend the Sensor Push hygrometers. Salt calibrated mine, then I put one in the top and one in the bottom of the cabinet. Works fantastically.....easy to recommend.
I see the same! I set my Cigar Oasis Magna in the bottom of my cabinet and keep it at 69 %. The top half of the cabinet always read between 65 - 66% until I put 1 lb of beads up there. Now the top half maintains 68 - 69%.

So higher is better? Thanks. That’s what I was looking for. I like to keep my desktop (my “on deck” sticks) at 65 or a little less, but my cabinet I keep at 68. I’m glad that my logic is sound and verified by the FOGs. Thanks.

Hard to say "....higher is better..." unless it's long term storage you're talking about. The points I like to stress; one, get a good hygrometer, or two, and calibrate them regularly. Another plug for Sensor Push, they're pretty darn cool. Two, for smoking, 'dry box' your sticks and things will very much improve. Three, this is a hobby so don't freak out over a point or two....because it just doesn't matter..... :cool:

Hard to say "....higher is better..." unless it's long term storage you're talking about. The points I like to stress; one, get a good hygrometer, or two, and calibrate them regularly. Another plug for Sensor Push, they're pretty darn cool. Two, for smoking, 'dry box' your sticks and things will very much improve. Three, this is a hobby so don't freak out over a point or two....because it just doesn't matter..... :cool:

Agreed. Trial and error until you find "your" sweet spot. In the end, it's up to you and your tastes.

I've always kept mine at 65% and have always been happy. Zero mold, zero burn issues, and seems to keep my aged cigars in perfect shape.

So I’m using Cigar Oasis. My cabinet humidor which is where I keep the stuff that I’m not smoking regularly, is an end table sized humidor which I’m keeping at 68%. My daily smokes are in my desktop humidor that I keep at 65%. So for the cabinet humidor, from the feedback that I’m getting, it sounds like 68% is a good rh to keep my cigars at. Am I understanding this correct?

I find that 68/70 is best for long term. But they are sometimes plugged and hard to draw (Cubans). A week or two at 63% changes that and they are usually a perfect draw. Domestics have much better quality control and are less finicky. ymmv. VB

I really appreciate all the good info in this thread gentlemen! On BlindedByScience's recommendation i purchase couple SenorPush Hygromters and the Wifi unit for my cabinet. I love the idea of being to check the app on the phone and see at all times, and from anywhere, how the sticks are doing.
Thank you

I really appreciate all the good info in this thread gentlemen! On BlindedByScience's recommendation i purchase couple SenorPush Hygromters and the Wifi unit for my cabinet. I love the idea of being to check the app on the phone and see at all times, and from anywhere, how the sticks are doing.
Thank you
Salt test them before you put them in service. One of mine was off about a point, which by itself isn't tremendously significant, but when you're using multiple units in the same cabinet, knowing they are all reading exactly the same for a given humidity makes regulating things much easier.

Wow! How fast is this by Amazon! Friday night at the cigar lounge, while smoking an aged Cohiba, I ordered the SensorPush System on Amazon. It arrives this morning, and within 15 minutes my 2 new sensors are fully functional within my desktop humidor. Are you kidding me? 2 days? and that was over a weekend!27700

Really great system and super easy to download the app, find your wifi home router, and pair the sensors. I still need to do a really solid salt calibration, but for now I'm just super excited to get the system up and running so quickly!
Thanks to BlindedbyScience for info and recs!