• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bill’s best years for Cuban cigars

CigSid

Love this place...
This has changed for me recently, after smoking more recent years, from 2008 to 2022....

There have been discussions on the Virtual Herfs, so I will pass them along here.

Remember, there are one-offs for every box code, that might be exceptional, or horrible, these are the years and the codes that I believe are the best overall:

Box Codes

1. 2014 LUB, UME, MUL, RUS, ELU, EML, ULA, BMS, ARG, MUO, LUA, OME, EAG, BUM
  2. 2008 MEL, EMA, SMG, TEB, BRC, SOA
  3. 2004 MKO, JNL, EAR
  4. 2020 RAT, LTO (La Corona), BSM, TUA, LGB (Partagas), SOU, OER and MAR (El Laguito)
  5. 2021 MAR, GEL, MGL, UMR, GEM, REG (El Laguito factory) TLE, AMP, TUA, BSM, EGT, EOL, SOR, (Partagas factory) RAT (La Corona) SOP, OER, SOU
  6. 2022 TEU, AMP, LGB, LOS, (TUA, UBL Partagas) GEL, UAR TLU, TRS, (RAT, BLT, BRM La Corona) (MAR, GES, El Laguito) UBL (GEM, EPO Upmann)
  7. 2013 OEB, ALT, BMU, PMS, BRS, POU, BTO, LUB, MUR, ESO (BCG’s and PSD4’s) TOU, TUO (BRS JL 1's from Jan to Apr are crazy good!)
  8. 2019 MSU, MOL, BOE, ATE, UEB, EOS, ESL, LGR, GEM, MUP(Best brands: JL1 and 2, Epi 2’s, Mag 46, Upmann 2’s, RASS and Fundadores.)
  9. 2012 BTO, SMO, UPE
  10. 2006 POS, OEB, ROA, TBS, PLM, STL
  11. 2018 REG, UTL, ESO, GOS, BUP, UGO, LGR (CoRo, PSD4’s, Part E2’s, LGR PLPC’s)
  12. 2010 TEU, OPA
  13. 2015 PUO, TOS, TOR, RAE, MUO, LUB, EML, AMU, AMO, SOM Monty 2's with ARG, any Partagas with TOS.
  14. 2016 AMO, AMU, MEG,, ETP, SOM, TOS, TOR, SUM (any LE’s with SEA) BBF (TOR)
  15. 2009 LBT, MUA, LRE (Partagas factory)
  16. 2003 KMM, FRH, CLE
  17. 2007 OBE, EMA, POS, TEB, MEL
  18. 2017 REG, TEO, MSA (if you can find HU Mag 46 with an MSA box code, or any HU’s with the TEO box code, grab them)
  19. 2005 SVF, PFY, FIN
  20. 2011 URG, TEU, LEM, MES
  21. 2002 KNN, SST
I added a few box codes that have been really good, and exceptional (in bold)

23's are already out, but too early to tell. The few I've seen were green, still out-gassing ammonia, but looking decent.

Discuss?

Last edited:
I think 2014 does belong on top. Anything LUB 2014 I see up for grabs is a no brainer worthwhile investment. Even if I’m poor at the time.
I think 2007 is too low, but in fairness, it doesn’t apply to all brands. Things like Bolivar (Royal Corona), Montecristo (Edmundo), and RYJ (Short Churchill) have been stellar from then. Especially, anything the POS factory code, but the limited larger sized amount of Cohiba from 2007 have left me scratching my head. Granted I haven’t had any Cohiba from 2007 in 6 or more years.

Do you find that the month has alot to do with it? Say I had a great smoke and found a box from the same year, same factory code, but different month...does that change your mind enough?

Great list. Later today I'm going to look at a couple boxes I have that are smoking awesome and see how the box codes do on the list.

Not on your list, so I'm curious what any of your thoughts on 01 are? I've got a box of Fonsecas that are some of my favorite cigars I've ever smoked. I'm particularly fond of the '17 LGR boxes I have too, mostly PL boxes.

Do you find that the month has alot to do with it? Say I had a great smoke and found a box from the same year, same factory code, but different month...does that change your mind enough?
It really depends on the box code, for example MUO or LUB 2014 would be exceptional no matter what the month is... but certain codes like AUM or BTO are best if Jan through June...

Not on your list, so I'm curious what any of your thoughts on 01 are? I've got a box of Fonsecas that are some of my favorite cigars I've ever smoked. I'm particularly fond of the '17 LGR boxes I have too, mostly PL boxes.
Yes, 99, 00 and 01 did not make the list. These were troubled years when they were trying to keep up with the tremendous demand, they had inexperienced rollers, and also inexperienced blenders (Didn’t really matter because the tobacco was not up to standards anyway)
But, as stated in the OP, there are one-offs, like your Fonseca. I have had tremendous 2000 and 2001 cigars, but usually half the box or more are unsmokable... I’ve had beautiful looking cigars with perfect draws that taste like shit... Point is, a “majority“ of the cigars during this period are a waste of time and effort to try to smoke them. (I know, because I was buying heavily, and ended up with quite a few “tent stakes”)

Yes, 99, 00 and 01 did not make the list. These were troubled years when they were trying to keep up with the tremendous demand, they had inexperienced rollers, and also inexperienced blenders (Didn’t really matter because the tobacco was not up to standards anyway)
But, as stated in the OP, there are one-offs, like your Fonseca. I have had tremendous 2000 and 2001 cigars, but usually half the box or more are unsmokable... I’ve had beautiful looking cigars with perfect draws that taste like shit... Point is, a “majority“ of the cigars during this period are a waste of time and effort to try to smoke them. (I know, because I was buying heavily, and ended up with quite a few “tent stakes”)
I do find that the higher end EL’s, Cohiba’s tend to be exempt from these years though.

I know that they are way too young for the test of time and aging, but any thoughts on anything from 2019 or so far in 2020? I don't think I've had anything marked 2020 yet, but can't be positive with some of the singles I've bought. I can say with my limited experience, the box of 2019 Mag 46 are absolute shit so far (sadly), but I haven't had a young Mag 54 I that wouldn't give Justin's left nut for more of. I'll have to go downstairs and look at the box codes/dates. I'm going to start recording and keeping track of these when I get them and can be sure of the cigar I'm smoking. Is this pretty much how you figured things out, Bill?

Give those 46 some time. They’re probably still full of ammonia, or going through a sick period, etc. Word on the street is that 2019 is going to be a stellar year. I had some freshies while overseas in Belgium/England earlier this year. The QDO’s, JL’s, , Cohiba, and Bolivar (one EL Soberano), were all impressive.
Have yet to smoke anything from 2020

I know that they are way too young for the test of time and aging, but any thoughts on anything from 2019 or so far in 2020? I don't think I've had anything marked 2020 yet, but can't be positive with some of the singles I've bought. I can say with my limited experience, the box of 2019 Mag 46 are absolute shit so far (sadly), but I haven't had a young Mag 54 I that wouldn't give Justin's left nut for more of. I'll have to go downstairs and look at the box codes/dates. I'm going to start recording and keeping track of these when I get them and can be sure of the cigar I'm smoking. Is this pretty much how you figured things out, Bill?

Nick, you are correct. I keep notes on everything I smoke, the progression of boxes, and codes that are exceptional.

I have several boxes of the 2019 mag 46’s, and they are still pretty green at this time. They need at least a few years in the humi and they will be great. Here are some 2019 box codes that are (to me) exceptional, and in my opinion have the best aging potential:
2019 box codes
  1. MSU
  2. MOL
  3. UEB
  4. EOS
  5. LGR
My advice... purchase these box codes now (they are the least expensive they will ever be), smoke 1 or 2 to see where they are (like the 54’s you love) and put the rest down, trying 1 occasionally... Within a few years, you will have some of the best cigars on the planet.

Nick, you are correct. I keep notes on everything I smoke, the progression of boxes, and codes that are exceptional.

I have several boxes of the 2019 mag 46’s, and they are still pretty green at this time. They need at least a few years in the humi and they will be great. Here are some 2019 box codes that are (to me) exceptional, and in my opinion have the best aging potential:
2019 box codes
  1. MSU
  2. MOL
  3. UEB
  4. EOS
  5. LGR
My advice... purchase these box codes now (they are the least expensive they will ever be), smoke 1 or 2 to see where they are (like the 54’s you love) and put the rest down, trying 1 occasionally... Within a few years, you will have some of the best cigars on the planet.
Any idea on what code = (Factory) yet? I haven't figured that out for 2019.

I have thrown away boxes (yes, plural) of 00-01 HdM Churchill's that were so plugged it was like sucking on a tent peg. Trying the cigar tools available then usually gifted you with a burst wrapper and a ruined cigar. I finally gave up. It actually turned me off to ISOM's so badly it took me years to buy any more.

Last edited:
You should edit the OP to add box factory codes to look for in those years. Such as POS 2006 & 2007. LUB 2014 (2013 too?). MUR 2013... That and brands in those codes to look for. Thanks for taking the time Bill, and looking forward to your input and post on the subject..

You should edit the OP to add box factory codes to look for in those years. Such as POS 2006 & 2007. LUB 2014 (2013 too?). MUR 2013... That and brands in those codes to look for. Thanks for taking the time Bill, and looking forward to your input and post on the subject..
That sounds good. I will look through my notes and put something together.