• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bill's best bargain smokes of 2014 and 2015

CigSid

Love this place...
After a request from C, and looking through my notes, here are my top 5 bargain smokes of 2014 and 2015:

1. Juan Lopez No. 2 – ORA SEP 14 – MUO ABR 15 – Simply amazing. These are one of my favorites. If you can age them just a few years, you will be rewarded, but smoking good fresh as well.

2. Bolivar Royal Coronas – ULA OCT 14 – MUO MAY 15 – As Tom (BBS) has stated, these are smoking very good fresh. Not as strong as most bolis, earthy and spicy, great little smokes…

3. Por Larranaga Petit Coronas – EML ABR 14 – ESO ABR 15 – Great cigars. These are pretty strong fresh, and have that caramel and honey flavors. You will be rewarded tremendously if you can sit on these for a few years…

4. Juan Lopez No 1 – ELU MAR 14 – ELU MAY 14 – ARG ABR 14 – Also, one of my favorites. Not as strong as it’s big brother No 2, but more complex, and sweet. Crazy good after a few years.

5. Partagas Shorts – OPG JUN 14 – AUM JUL 14 – Another one that Tom mentioned. These are strong, spicy and delicious. For such a small cigar, they are also complex and keep your attention.

5. Montecristo No 4 – BUM MAR 14 – BUM SEP 14 – It has been a while since I have had a decent Monty 4… These are great cigars, with flavors of coffee, cedar and bitter chocolate.

5. QdO Coronas – ULA MAY 14 – ULA JUL 14 – Also, a favorite of mine. These are the first OdO Coronas I have tried, and love them. Caramel, honey and sweet hay, try to keep a few boxes stored for a few years, I imagine these will be stellar…

These last 3 were so close, I didn't want to leave them out...

I am sure there are more here that should be on this list, but these are the ones I have enjoyed the most.

Please let us know your favorites as well, and try to give the box codes when possible...

Bill

Last edited:
Thought I'd share my observations and add to what Bill said.

Boli Royal Coronas - ULA ENE 14 and ULA AGO 14 - Not as strong as you'd expect from a Boli. To my palate these are creamy, just a hint of spice.....brilliant robusto sized smokes. Real winners and very box worthy.

Partagas Shorts - LOA AGO 14 - I just scored a 50 cab of these and I think these are likely the best smoking shorts I've ever had. Just brilliant; spicy, complex....amazing little cigars. Deals to be had if one looks around a bit.

A couple that didn't make Bill's list that I thought were worth mentioning......

Partagas PSD4 - BUM MAR 14 and BUM JUL 14 - I smoke these and the BRC's quite a bit. Nice change up between these, the Boli's are smoother, more creamy, these are noticeably spicier than the BRC's. Nice contrast and still a reasonably priced cigar. I enjoy the change up between the two quite a bit. I haven't had any 'duds' here, but as with any handmade product, YMMV.

Monte #2's - EAG ABR 14 and EAG MAY 14 - Not sure if these qualify as a 'budget' stick, but they have been very good after a run of 'meh' quality #2's. For a regular production smoke, these really deliver the classic Monte flavor palate. I've had good luck with these, to be sure.

Cheers, gents - B.B.S.

Just had the MC#4 last night and it was excellent. Thanks for the thread and recommendations. Happy New Years!

Great list of smokes, Bill.

I've never been a Partagas fan, but the Shorts lately have really been impressing me. A box purchase is on the horizon. The JL1 is in the running for my favorite Habanos corona gorda.

I'll add another one to the list: San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe (EML ABR 14)-- cocoa, molasses, and cumin; a tasty bugger and far more complex than the average petit corona.

I'll add another one to the list: San Cristobal de la Habana El Principe (EML ABR 14)
These I've had several times, over the years. Love them. If I'm not mistaken, the tobacco is not from the best growing region. Interesting.

I enjoyed reading Bill's list, and Tom's opinion. Mine is a morph of the two, but not a bad damn stick in the group. I can't believe how good those QdO's are, for real. Not quite as much of a "budget" cigar, but Tom's right, those PSD4s are on point.

All great sticks, and all affordable. Thanks for the post Bill.

Edited to add: I'm tossing H Upmann Half's on this list....though I know Tom prefers the Boli RC for a short smoke. I just think they were beautiful from 2014.

Definitely have to agree with Brickhouse on the H Upmann halfs. I went through my box so fast.

For the guy that's new to boxes, could someone explain these codes? Or is there a thread here that does, because I could not find one :(
I'm assuming is something like box code, month, year produced?
Thanks in advance.

The first three letters are the factory code. These change every few months I believe so one factory doesn't always have the same code. The next three letters are the production month followed by the year. This tells you when it was produced.

Español:

ENE,FEB,MAR,ABR,MAY,JUN,JUL,AGO,SEP,OCT,NOV,DIC.

English:

JAN,FEB,MAR,APR,MAY,JUN,JUL,AUG,SEP,OCT,NOV,DEC.

Great info. I have some 13 RASCCs that I am hoping will be killer. They are usually very good smokes for the price. Going to be checking those out soon.

Is there no such thing as good Nic. or Dom. on the list, or was it meant to be only ISO?

Thanks for the tips! Any more comments on the recent RASCC or El Principi?

It's Bill's list, so yeah.
I assumed because it's Bill but, why not? I have to say I love the illusione (love smoke) Laguna. But other contenders in the NC category are Perdomo Small Batch(all wrappers),Tat Cojonu 2012(all wrappers)r, la Palinas, and Caldwells, too. Honor goes to Mr Perdomo for stepping up his game!

Last edited: