• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Blackstone vs grill

Bsneed51

Habitual Threadjacker!
My infrared grill is on it's last legs so this summer is going to be replacement time. I'm really intrigued by the Blackstone 30 inch but not sure if it will serve as a good replacement for a grill. I get the differences, but just wonder if anyone here has a Blackstone, and what you think of it overall.

I have a Traeger that can cover several things I currently do on the grill.

There are a few of us that have a black stone or some brand of griddle. I think it’s the best grill/griddle I have ever owned. And when paired with a smoker, like you have it’s the perfect compliment. The griddle is just so damn versatile! My .02

Agree with Aaron but I do enjoy an open flame for steaks and what not. but you can do so much more on a griddle that you can't on a grill. Im window shopping for a bigger one this summer.

My son has one at his hunting camp and we love it! You can cook a complete breakfast for many people in half the time, you don't make a mess of the kitchen, and you don't have to wash 10 different pots and pans.

We did an awesome Hibachi dinner on it as well!

It does have it's limitations, I wouldn't cook burgers or steak on it because I like the char from the heat of charcoal or other direct, intense, heat.

I agree with everyone. I got my griddle early last season and at the end of the season I took my grill and put it in storage. Now I have my smoker and griddle at the house only. I do miss that char on the steaks/burgers/dogs a little bit but I've worked around it.

I agree with everyone. I got my griddle early last season and at the end of the season I took my grill and put it in storage. Now I have my smoker and griddle at the house only. I do miss that char on the steaks/burgers/dogs a little bit but I've worked around it.
Chad, I'd be curious what your work-around is for the char/flavor issue?

Chad, I'd be curious what your work-around is for the char/flavor issue?
I've done the reverse char where I bring the smoker up to 500 degrees and do 5 minutes on each side. I have also heard that cast iron to char works on the smoker. I haven't bought it yet but I plan to.

You can get a blackstone that is half grill, half griddle. I have one for my camper. My only complaint is that it is effected by wind, but I think they have newer models out that are improved.

My son has one at his hunting camp and we love it! You can cook a complete breakfast for many people in half the time, you don't make a mess of the kitchen, and you don't have to wash 10 different pots and pans.

We did an awesome Hibachi dinner on it as well!

It does have it's limitations, I wouldn't cook burgers or steak on it because I like the char from the heat of charcoal or other direct, intense, heat.
I get what you're saying, but I have cooked some of the best burgers and steaks I have ever cooked on my griddle. Not to mention most of the best burger houses and steak houses around don't cook steaks over open flame, they cook them on griddles, cast iron and in salamanders. And you can get a small cast iron grate to lay on griddle for perfect grill marks, if you want.

I get what you're saying, but I have cooked some of the best burgers and steaks I have ever cooked on my griddle. Not to mention most of the best burger houses and steak houses around don't cook steaks over open flame, they cook them on griddles, cast iron and in salamanders. And you can get a small cast iron grate to lay on griddle for perfect grill marks, if you want.
Do tell ......

Do tell ......
Not sure it's any secret, but it starts with a good piece of meat. Without getting into all the prep stuff, steak resting to room temp, seasoning, making compound butter, ect. For the cooking I typically turn my two left burners on the highest setting and the two right burners on the lowest setting. I sear the steak on the high setting side then move it to the low side to finish cooking. I have even experimented with wood chips in foil on the blackstone to add smoke to items. I use cast iron skillets and cast iron griddle pans on top of my blackstone as well. Lots of options.

I've watched several videos on smash burgers in the Blackstone and they look great.

Honestly steaks and thick cut chops are my only big concern with going the griddle route, but I'm thinking I could smoke/ cook them in the smoker and sear them on the griddle.

A little off topic but.
Just got this for the Weber Performer.

And I’m eyeing this vs a bigger blackstone. I currently have the small 22” tailgate one.

I like the front grease collection vs the rear on the black stone

I've watched several videos on smash burgers in the Blackstone and they look great.

Honestly steaks and thick cut chops are my only big concern with going the griddle route, but I'm thinking I could smoke/ cook them in the smoker and sear them on the griddle.
Have you ever done a steak in a cast iron skillet? It’s perfection! Sear it and bast it in butter, as it cooks in its own juices. You won’t miss the open flame grill at all. Griddle was made for burgers, I bet 99% of all burgers made are done on some form of griddle. Then you add fajitas, breakfast ect. It’s a no brainer!
ETA: I have also done seared tuna on the griddle as well, came out perfect… And any vegetables you can think of…

Hell, I watched a video of a lady popping popcorn on her Blackstone. She even melted skittles and made candy corn.

A Blackstone will be my next purchase. I have the Weber Performer like @Tall Paul and a Masterbuilt smoker. It’s the missing piece for as much as we grill/smoke.

Have you ever done a steak in a cast iron skillet? It’s perfection! Sear it and bast it in butter, as it cooks in its own juices. You won’t miss the open flame grill at all. Griddle was made for burgers, I bet 99% of all burgers made are done on some form of griddle. Then you add fajitas, breakfast ect. It’s a no brainer!
ETA: I have also done seared tuna on the griddle as well, came out perfect… And any vegetables you can think of…
I have but usual finish it in the the oven for a few minutes. Most of my family likes their steak medium. Just curious about how to get thicker cuts of meat done on a griddle.

I have but usual finish it in the the oven for a few minutes. Most of my family likes their steak medium. Just curious about how to get thicker cuts of meat done on a griddle.
Mine has a hood, so I have no issues… I sear it on side that’s on high then move them over to side that is on low to finish them. I have seen people put a baker’s rack on low side as well and let steaks finish to desired temp.. This is the model I have that includes two air fryers.
I have no idea why the link says robot or human?

Last edited:
Not Burger King! 🤠

How do you keep the juices on the griddle for basting? Do you tilt it in such a way they don’t all run down the grease trap? I usually do mine on a cast iron pan on the stove if doing that way, but that’s different in that everything is contained right there.

I know my sons grill came with stainless domes you can put over the food to hold heat in while it cooks.