• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bomb etiquette

GrouchoM

The secret phrase is cigars! ! !
I received a bomb with a note that said "as a newbie a friendly reminder to remember the proper etiquette of a bomb is not to post up pictures of the bomb or divulged what was in it. This is not looked up kindly by the members."

Help, I'm confused. I've seen countless posts w pictures and gratitude by those bombed on the forums. Or, is it the personal preference of the bomber? But, he mentions "other members [negative feelings about this].

I don't want to aquire any bad habits as a newbie.

Last edited:
A bomb is a package that is sent to you from another member that is not a part of a pass. Some of the pictures you may be thinking of are the pay it forwards we engage in. Your best bet is to thank the sender, public or private, without disclosing the contents of the package.

Yes, what oke&coke said. Other forums, facebook groups, etc., may post pictures of bombs/gifts but here we do not divulge the contents. As you spend more time on Cigarpass, you'll see that we do some things differently. We are self moderated, and have learned a lot about how to keep the forum special. As a newer member, I would say to sit back and watch some activities to see how things play out. Over time, the wisdom will become more apparent.
Congrats on getting your first CP bomb.

About the closest thing you'll see to a "picture" of a bomb is a .jpg of an explosion or a destroyed mailbox.

Our own Sam Clemmons hit the nail on the head - worth repeating and reposting, to be sure:

Am I the only one that has issues with people saying exactly what was sent to them or what they sent? I think this is bad form. There was a time here and elsewhere when folks simply voiced there appreciation for an unexpected "bomb" by saying thank you and then qualifying their thank you with things like... I am floored . . . You were way to generous . . . I can never repay you . . . Are you insane. . . Above and beyond . . . Incredible. . . and the like to express their thoughts on the generosity of the sender.
The reason for the anonymity of the contents of a bomb or trade is really quite simple. There are folks who are more generous with some people than they are with others. There are people with deep pockets and those for whom the bottom line is much closer. Maybe a guy is friends with someone off line and decides to crush his friend with premium sticks or maybe he just likes someone and sends a little something. The point here is that if the contents of a bomb or trade is openly discussed it puts an unfair pressure on the sender or receiver to duplicate their generosity with the next guy. It also makes this person a target for guys to bomb with the expectation that this generous person will reciprocate in the same way as he/she did previously. I know what you're going to say. "When people send bombs out they don't really expect the person they bomb to reciprocate." All I can say to this is, CRAP. I'm not saying that there are not people here that are selfless (a few come to mind) but many folks are expecting exactly that, a return gesture. I see people bombing guys that are known to be extremely generous yet they've never had any kind interaction with these people other than snagging their address which has forced more than a few of these generous souls to pull their contact information from their profiles. I don't think the newer guys should be told to bomb this fellow or that fellow because they "won't be sorry". Let them learn themselves like everyone else. After they've been here awhile they'll know, but not before they've made the effort and paid there dues through interaction.......

I had a reply halfway typed and decided....no sense in saying this a different way. SamClemmons, as pointed out by Tom, did it best once. Read that post, and that will fully explain.

I received a bomb with a note that said "as a newbie a friendly reminder to remember the proper etiquette of a bomb is not to post up pictures of the bomb or divulged what was in it. This is not looked up kindly by the members."

Help, I'm confused. I've seen countless posts w pictures and gratitude by those bombed on the forums. Or, is it the personal preference of the bomber? But, he mentions "other members [negative feelings about this].

Just wanted to further address the bold typed statement. What you may be referring to here is people posting photos in the thread of Today's Smoke with a mention of who they got it from. Generally this can be considered ok, only because the don't give away how they got it from that member. For all we know it was a purchase or trade between them. If you are unsure however, ask a long time member and they can help you out.

What I'm confused about is why you posted this exact same thread on several other forums. If a CPer bombed you, why act like you got bombed by somebody on four or five different sites?

http://cigargeeks.com/community/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=42487&start=1

http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/cigar-questions/216786-bomb-etiquette.html

http://www.stogiefriends.com/forum/thread/9590/bomb-etiquette/page_2/#post215341

Obviously you work up some folks. Can we go back to sleep now. I believe lesson understood.

I was on a forum years ago that posted pics of every bomb, frequently with elaborate story threads and a number of the regulars aligned in bombing "crews" waging war on each other with smack talk worthy of the WWF. I was the leader of "Furore Normannorum" and once bombed a rival crew with anal lube and penis lollipops . . . good times, good times. :confused:

But it was a different vibe and not nearly the same sense of community and brotherhood as here. This is better.

~Boar

So were you bombed from someone on this site or one of the other 4 or 5 you posted on?

As for stepping on your d$@* most of us have done so at one point in time or another. How we handle ourselves after that happens is what shows your true character. So far I'm not impressed.

So were you bombed from someone on this site or one of the other 4 or 5 you posted on?

As for stepping on your d$@* most of us have done so at one point in time or another. How we handle ourselves after that happens is what shows your true character. So far I'm not impressed.

Duly noted...

What happened here Groucho?

Did you edit your post completely? If so, and it appears so, just another note....we don't do that around here either. No matter how ugly or wrong a post may get, we don't edit them away. You have to remember that many new members in the future and others can learn from posts like the one you made. There was nothing wrong with the topic you posted and the discussion that ensued.

Unless it's a spelling or grammar correction, most edits will include a footnote stating what was edited. But a complete thread edit days after the fact isn't something we do around here.
Again, not trying to bust your balls, just saying that it was fine the way it was and when members search for such a topic like you had posted, there is much they could learn from the thread without having to rehash the whole thing again.

*Edited to add: This is how you edit posts and make mention of things you have edited in your original...not by changing it completely.

First, thanks for the research and the comments Kid M spot on. Second, in all this controversy did you ever post up a thank you here or anywhere else in the same fashion as was recommended or in the same fashion as the countless other bombs which have been received? Third, it is rather disappointing that the post was edited, it was fine the way it was and it is, or should be, a learning experience. We do things our own way here and that is what makes it special and IMHO the best cigar board out there. You always normally know where things stand and the stand up guys here do an outstanding job of keeping things the way we want them.

First let me say this is in no way intended be a political comment what so ever, that being said, as Nancy Reagan is being buried today it sort of reminds of the debate with Ronald Reagan and Walter Mondale it is important to listen to what he said after the little joke about age......

Why did you change the title and your question? Now all the responses look out of place.

Is there a way for Rod to put the original thread title and question/post back up and make it uneditable?