• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bordeaux Futures

Scottw

Hey guys,

I get an email from a friend who owns several wine outlets and he sent me the final offerings of his '09 Pre Arrival Bordeauxs scheduled to arrive in 2012. Any thoughts on these prices and the regions themselves? Never purchased futures before and am seriously in the St. Emillion and Margaux. Prices are per bottle. I'm looking to pick up 24-36 bottles.

2009 Gazin Pomerol $74.99 on sale
WS 92-95, RP 94-96

2009 Haut Bergey Pessac Leognan $31.99 on sale
WS 91-94, RP 92-94

2009 La Croix Figeac St Emilion $21.99 on sale
WS 92-95

2009 La Tour De Mons Margaux $20.99 on sale
WS 92-95

2009 Poujeaux Moulis-en-Medoc $28.99 on sale
WS 93-96, RP 90-93

2009 Providence Pomerol $114.99 on sale
WS 95-98, RP 92-95

2009 Tauzinat L'Hermitage St Emilion $15.99 on sale
WS 90-93

2009 Doisy Vedrines Barsac 375ml $17.99 on sale
WS 92-95, WA 92-94
2009 Doisy Vedrines Barsac 750ml $33.99 on sale
WS 92-95, WA 92-94

I typically would only buy futures of wine I have a chance to barrel taste so you can tell how they are coming along. They throw in those Wine Advocate/Spectator ratings, which I assume are based on barrel tastings, but be aware of the inherent risks (If they score that now,that doesn't necessarily mean they will be there in the future.) If you trust the guy will be around in 2012 (When you get your wine) then feel free, I wouldn't look for any of these to be great investment wines but they very well may end up being good drinkers.

I typically would only buy futures of wine I have a chance to barrel taste so you can tell how they are coming along. They throw in those Wine Advocate/Spectator ratings, which I assume are based on barrel tastings, but be aware of the inherent risks (If they score that now,that doesn't necessarily mean they will be there in the future.) If you trust the guy will be around in 2012 (When you get your wine) then feel free, I wouldn't look for any of these to be great investment wines but they very well may end up being good drinkers.

I was trying to explain to the wife the risks associated with the futures but am intrigued in how they will drink for sure. At between $15-25 for the bottles I'm looking at, i figure there is not too much risk unless they were fabricated ratings or the vendor goes tits up. He has been around for a while and had been in the wine biz for 30 years. I trust his longevity. Maybe I'll buy a few of each and enjoy them as drinkers and not investments. thanks!!

I do buy Bourdeaux futures each year...but there is nothing on that list that I would buy...

I do buy Bourdeaux futures each year...but there is nothing on that list that I would buy...

What thechenman said.

I am new to cigars, but I know about Bordeaux wine. I buy Bordeaux futures but 2005 and 2009 are not priced right (vintages of a lifetime or not). I bought neither vintage En Primeur, but have picked up a few '05 since.

If you want to "collect" (that is lay-down) a few mixed cases of Bordeaux, I would suggest some 2000. Prices for the '00 are more fairly priced than the '05 and '09 and they are exceptional too. Bonus is that they already have 10 years of age (you can almost drink them now :thumbs: ). You might want to look at 2008 as they can be good values.

I have to ask though; Do you have a cellar (wine fridge or other) to leave them undisturbed in for many years? The 2009 vintage (really most vintages) is going to need some time.

I don't really know much about the wines you posted (some I have never even heard of), but checking the prices of a couple of them (with wine-searcher) they seem pretty much inline with the current market.

The real joy when buying futures is that you know the providence of the wine (i.e. you are the first and only owner of the wine) and as they age you can take credit for their maturation. In the past, you used to get great deals with futures but anymore the better values are in the secondary market. One more thing to blame on the Chinese. :rolleyes:

My advice, pass on this offer and spend some time exploring what you really like and what resources you have to devote to your wine hobby.

Only my two cents.

Cheers! --Jimmy

What thechenman said.

I am new to cigars, but I know about Bordeaux wine. I buy Bordeaux futures but 2005 and 2009 are not priced right (vintages of a lifetime or not). I bought neither vintage En Primeur, but have picked up a few '05 since.

If you want to "collect" (that is lay-down) a few mixed cases of Bordeaux, I would suggest some 2000. Prices for the '00 are more fairly priced than the '05 and '09 and they are exceptional too. Bonus is that they already have 10 years of age (you can almost drink them now :thumbs: ). You might want to look at 2008 as they can be good values.

I have to ask though; Do you have a cellar (wine fridge or other) to leave them undisturbed in for many years? The 2009 vintage (really most vintages) is going to need some time.

I don't really know much about the wines you posted (some I have never even heard of), but checking the prices of a couple of them (with wine-searcher) they seem pretty much inline with the current market.

The real joy when buying futures is that you know the providence of the wine (i.e. you are the first and only owner of the wine) and as they age you can take credit for their maturation. In the past, you used to get great deals with futures but anymore the better values are in the secondary market. One more thing to blame on the Chinese. :rolleyes:

My advice, pass on this offer and spend some time exploring what you really like and what resources you have to devote to your wine hobby.

Only my two cents.

Cheers! --Jimmy

What thechenman said.

Only my two cents.

Cheers! --Jimmy

great review/point!