• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Boswell Pass II - IN PROGRESS

BrewMeister

The Titus Pullo of CP
OK, so far from the old thread, we have the following participates, in no particular order:
  1. BrewMeister in Pennsylvania
  2. BigJake6904 - in Texas
  3. TampaSupremo- in Georgia
  4. Benjamin Button - in New Hampshire
  5. LilBastage - in Minnesota
  6. Mr Wolf - in Maryland
  7. MoeCizlack - in Iowa
  8. LoveTheLeaf - in South Carolina now in Maryland
  9. Everpresent1 - in North Carolina
  10. GunsandCigars88 - in Texas
  11. Gunpowder - in Indiana
  12. joshmickelson - in Colorado
  13. Ernie111 - in Massachusetts
  14. GeorgeC - in Texas - THE LAST PIPER STANDING! - RECEIVED 12 Jan 2009.

OK - first let me just state that if anyone does not want to continue participating in this pass for any reason, be it other obligations, dislike of the rules, etc. Just let me know before I send this out, no problem. So now the rules:

This will be a giveaway and a contest.

First the give-away part. Each participant may take (without a corresponding put) one of the ORIGINALLY SENT Boswell blends, as a free sample, courtesy of J.M. Boswell. :thumbs:

Second, the contest part, the pass is the contest. It will be the "LAST PIPER STANDING Contest" (Many of you are familiar with the LAST HERFER STANDING PASS, same thing.) Here is how it works:

I will prepare a label for each participant and place it in an unmarked envelope. My lovely wife will choose an envelope at random and I will send the pass on to that person. I will not post who was selected. That person will
take their free sampler and 1 or 2 other puts and takes, then choose an envelope and send it on to that person. We do not post the next person in the thread, only I and the sender know who is next. So be sure to PM or e-mail me the name of the next recipient along with the DC#. We continue doing this until there is a "Last Piper Standing". The piper's name in the last envelope chosen gets to keep all the tobacco in the pass.

So in summary, when you receive the pass:

1. Don't dilly-dally around, your goal should be receive it one day & send it out the next day.
  2. Post in this thread that you have received the Pass.
  3. Make certain the contents are in proper order.
  4. Choose a "free sample" from the Boswell tobacco shown below.
  5. Then choose 1 or 2 more takes.
  6. Post your freebie choice, as well as your puts and takes in this thread. I'll keep the inventory updated in this thread.
  7. No approval needed, just remember value for value & it's always good to leave the pass better than you found it.
  8. Choose an envelope at random, send the Pass to the Piper's address found in the envelope.
  9. PM or Email me the name of the next Piper and the DC# of the parcel.
  10. You can ship it anyway you'd like so long as it is via a traceable service, you need to receive a DC# or tracking number!
A couple things to consider, since we have no predetermined order this parcel may swing around the country a bit. Pack it accordingly. Secondly, you will not have any idea when it is heading your direction. So you need to be a bit vigilant with your mailbox when we know the PASS is in the wind.

So I hope everyone is OK with this set-up. Everyone gets a freebie, and someone will get a nice collection of pipe tobacco, and I hope everyone has some fun!

So here is the tobacco line-up! I decided a picture is worth a 1000 words so hear is 2000 worth. :laugh:

tobacco.jpg

tobacco1.jpg

PUTS:

1. Orlik Golden Sliced - Josh Mickleson - Received 5 Nov. Take -gunsandcigars88
    Butera Pelican - Josh Mickleson - Shipped 6 Nov. Take -BigJake6904
  2. Dunhill Nightcap (50g Tin) - BigJake6904 Received 8 Nov Shipped 12 Nov. - - Take Benjamin Button
    Dunhill Early Morning Pipe (50g Tin)
    Peterson Old Dublin (50g Tin) - Take MoeCizLack
    Da Vinci (50g Tin)
  3. Local B&M's French Vanilla - gunsandcigars88 Received 14 Nov Shipped 17 Nov.
    Peterson Sweet Killarney- Take LilBastage
  4. Mac Baren Uncle Louie's Whisky - Mr_Wolf Received 20 Nov Shipped 21 Nov.
    Peter Stokkebye Proper English (this will be about 2oz in a ziploc bag)
    GLP Key Largo - Take Gunpowder
  5. Dunhill Nightcap 1.3 oz - GunPowder Received 24 Nov Shipped 25 Nov.
    Frog Morton 1.3 oz
    Georges Blend 1.2 oz (Secret custom blend from Georges smoke shop-Holland MI)
    G.L. Pease Barbary Coast 2 oz Tin - Take EverPresent1
  6. Hoyo de Monterrey pipe tobacco (Habana) - LilBastage Received 28 Nov, Shipped 28 Nov. - Take Ernie111
    Peterson Sherlock Holmes (tin)
  7. McClelland Grand Oriental Yenidye Highlander (50 g tin) - EverPresent1 Received 1 Dec, Shipped 3 Dec
    McCranie's Sweet Savannah (1 oz) - Take TampaSupremo
    McCranie's Southport (1.75 oz bag) -- their small size bag
    McCranie's Old Master (1.75 oz bag)
    - Take Benjamin Button
  8. McClelland's Virginia No. 25 50 oz. can - MoeCizLack Received 6 Dec., Shipped 8 Dec. - - Take Benjamin Button
    3oz McClelland's Dark English Full
    3x1oz bags of Dunhill's 965 (1 oz -
    - Take Benjamin Button)
    A Couple of ounces of David's Briar Shoppe Coventry
  9. Stokkebye Luxury Twist Flake (smelled so good I bought some for me) - TampaSupremo Received 12 Dec., Shipped 13 Dec.
    Stokkebye Bulls Eye Flake (2oz, to equal the Sweet Savannah pouch) - Take Benjamin Button
    From Stokkebye's webpage
  10. McClelland Bulk # 2015 Virginia Flake - 1 oz - Benjamin Button Received 16 Dec. Sent 17 Dec
    McClelland Frog Morton on the Bayou - 50 gram tin
    GL Pease Westminster - 1 oz - Take Ernie111
    GL Pease Maltese Falcon - 1 oz
    Esoterica Tobacciana Penzance - 2 oz Tin (56.7g)
    PipesandCigars.com Butternut Burley - 1 oz
    Stanwell Melange - 1 oz
  11. McClelland, Christmas Cheer, 08 - 100G - Ernie111 Received 19 Dec Sent 19 Dec.
    Samuel Gawith, Squadron Leader - 50 G
    Frog Morton On The Town - 100 G
  12. Ernie111 mistakenly shipped to LovetheLeaf in South Carolina - Received 23 Dec 2008 - Sent to GeorgeC - 8 January 2009.

This would actually be my first pass, so not to sound like a noob, but would you mind laying down the basic instructions or "rules" per se, in case anyone other than myself is unsure of what to do? I have a couple B&M's near my house so I have access to some house blends and some tinned tobacco and I would love to contribute, but I just would like to know how the pass works in general.

Thanks and sorry for the inexperience!

-Adam

This would actually be my first pass, so not to sound like a noob, but would you mind laying down the basic instructions or "rules" per se, in case anyone other than myself is unsure of what to do? I have a couple B&M's near my house so I have access to some house blends and some tinned tobacco and I would love to contribute, but I just would like to know how the pass works in general.

Thanks and sorry for the inexperience!

-Adam

No problem, now's the time to ask.
Unless we decide otherwise or someone else wants to run this, we'll follow the same set-up as the last PASS. Basically, a limit of 2 or 3 puts/takes per piper. Should be a one for one, and it should be an ounce or 50g tin. Please post your takes and puts and shipping info in the thread. We really don't need to approve the puts and takes, it is just a way to keep track of what we have and how things are progressing. We need to make sure we move this along, so please try to make your selections quickly and have your puts on-hand prior to the PASS arriving at your home.

Awesome! I can't wait. Also this is going to be for any tobaccy right? Not just Boswell?

I've got no problem doing it the same way as last time. It worked out pretty well , I think.

Thanks!

That is pretty much how I expected it to run but I wanted to be sure. So if I take an ounce I leave an ounce of something else, or take a tin leave a tin of something else. Makes sense!

Sounds like a plan!

Brew,

Previous post from last year's pass looked like a lot of fun (like Christmas morning early).

I wanted to check to make sure I'm right here ----> the puts and takes are pre-determined before the pass starts correct?

-and-

You take 2 tins and 1 oz ---> you put 2 tins and 1 oz

Also, could you explain the logistics. Same box, just slap new postage and a new address to the next pass recipient?

Finally, I will be heading over to my local B&M McCranie's here in NC----> http://www.mccranies.com/tobacco_custom.html

Let me know if anyone has any requests based on the list, send me a PM.

I do not represent Tim nor do I speak for him, but I'm here right now. :laugh:

(Since I can't get the quote feature to work you're in RED and I'm in Blue)

I wanted to check to make sure I'm right here ----> the puts and takes are pre-determined before the pass starts correct?

Not quite. Puts and takes will be made at the time you get the box. The contents change form person to person so you can decide beforehand. In an effort to keep things moving, you shouldn't wait until you get the pass to order or go out to get a blend to put in. Ideally you should get the pass on say a Tuesday and have it out to the next participant on Wednesday.

That's about right. Puts and takes should be equal or leave the pass better than it was. Strive for equality, though.

Also, could you explain the logistics. Same box, just slap new postage and a new address to the next pass recipient?

That sounds about right.

Finally, I will be heading over to my local B&M McCranie's here in NC----> http://www.mccranies.com/tobacco_custom.html

Just get whatever you think someone would like to try. :) Since we don't know the order of the pass, there's no way to know what's in the box until you get it.

(Now, I'm back in black :D )

This isn't really difficult or complicated. It's just a fun way for us to try new blends. Last year a few tried to put in some local shop blends that are not available anywhere else. That was great because some of us (me included) don't have a local B&M.

Thanks Alan. That cleared it up for me.

I'll probably be better off this way as well. This will be a mystery Christmas present early...you don't know what's coming but its coming!

Still if anyone has any requests let me know.

Looking forward to see how this develops.

I do not represent Tim nor do I speak for him, but I'm here right now. :laugh:

(Since I can't get the quote feature to work you're in RED and I'm in Blue)

Not quite. Puts and takes will be made at the time you get the box. The contents change form person to person so you can decide beforehand. In an effort to keep things moving, you shouldn't wait until you get the pass to order or go out to get a blend to put in. Ideally you should get the pass on say a Tuesday and have it out to the next participant on Wednesday.

That's about right. Puts and takes should be equal or leave the pass better than it was. Strive for equality, though.

That sounds about right.

Just get whatever you think someone would like to try. :) Since we don't know the order of the pass, there's no way to know what's in the box until you get it.

(Now, I'm back in black :D )

This isn't really difficult or complicated. It's just a fun way for us to try new blends. Last year a few tried to put in some local shop blends that are not available anywhere else. That was great because some of us (me included) don't have a local B&M.

Well said Alan! :thumbs:

So if there is a full tin of a blend in the pass, is it permissable to take a couple of bowls out of it as long as you put a couple of bowls of something else in the Pass? Or should one just take the tin and replace it with a like blend?

So if there is a full tin of a blend in the pass, is it permissable to take a couple of bowls out of it as long as you put a couple of bowls of something else in the Pass? Or should one just take the tin and replace it with a like blend?

No, it hasn't been OK. If you want a tin, you take it and you replace it with something of equal value. No open tins.

I thought as much but thought I would ask. Thanks for the answer.

Also, how does this work for the first pass? I'd assume the first person has to put more in the box but in the end they'd receive the same amount back, correct?

When should we start this up? :D

Also, how does this work for the first pass? I'd assume the first person has to put more in the box but in the end they'd receive the same amount back, correct?

When should we start this up? :D

I'll try to get to Boswells this week and hope to get everyone aligned and this into the mail early next week.
Meanwhile,
from all participants I need your shipping addresses PM'ed to me with along with your phone number and email address.

What's the preferred protocol on 1oz bags. Just whatever plastic bag, any labeling method to keep things straight, or any other standards I should know about.

The reason I ask is 1) I would feel bad if I said I'm taking this and its actually that 2) to prevent anything I include from bursting in the box or something crazy like that.

Yeah I know I'm anal and paranoid for asking but I don't want to drop the ball here.

What's the preferred protocol on 1oz bags. Just whatever plastic bag, any labeling method to keep things straight, or any other standards I should know about.

The reason I ask is 1) I would feel bad if I said I'm taking this and its actually that 2) to prevent anything I include from bursting in the box or something crazy like that.

Yeah I know I'm anal and paranoid for asking but I don't want to drop the ball here.

Just put it in a ziploc bag and write the name of the blend on the bag with a sharpie or something. You can use a label if you want, but just writing it on the bag should be enough. The bag really should be a zip top or some other kind of bag that closes securely so we don't end up with loose tobacco all over the place.

Well dang, how does you B&M give it to you? By the handful? Generally as Alan said just keep it in the zip-lock bag, label it so someone knows what it is and where it came from, and we'll be good!

I am in if there is still room for more!

Sure!

I've got about two onces of gatlin burley i would love to send in for anything from boswell.