• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bourbon Run to KY

Cparker

My dogs don't smoke
Some years back I would be in the Lexington area for personal reasons in the fall and stop at a local shop to stock up on bourbon. With the current run on bourbons and the lack of stock in the Atlanta area, I was checking to see if its worth a drive to Ky. I know most distiller start to bottle with the cooler weather, and it used to be in October when some of the better choices came out.

There was a store, Party City ??or something similar, on the main drag in Lexington that has a really nice bourbon selection.

Any folks in KY that can advise if its worth the trip or will I being wasting gas and time ?

Cparker

Mostly the Buffalo Trace brands, the Eagle Rare 17, Sazerac 18, maybe the experimental brands. Or a Pappy if I can find it and afford it. Party City or whatever it was called had a whole isle of bourbons many of which I never see outside KY. It was a store on the main drag, past Keeneland I think.

It's hard to say. I can make a drive by some stores. You won't find pappy that's for sure.

When I first became aware of the BTAC, I could get a whole case (three bottles) of Stagg.  One year I even got TWO.  The last few years . . . well, I don't know if it's just not making it to the end of the freeway here, or if they're releasing less and less, but last year I didn't even get ONE . . . and the two years before that, I only got  a single bottle.   :(

So, this time around . . . a little help, anyone?

~Boar

I might have a bottle of unopened stagg for a Texas friend. I'll make sure when I get home in the morning.

You're thinking about "The Party Source". Great store for Bourbons, great Beer selection, and an truly epic humidor. They have some "brand" Bourbons too. (Pretty sure they're distilling)
Really a great place to visit. You might go to their website to see what events they have scheduled.
Hope that helps.

Any more these days the "good stuff" rarely makes it to the shelf.....It is all about who ya know.  You are just as likely to find it in big cities outside of KY as you are inside any more.  A lot of the rarer older stuff is going to restaurants as well where they can get a bigger markup.  

So if I want Eagle Rare 17, Sazerace 18 I am pretty much SOL ? I do not have any real connections in the liquor distribution business which is one fustercluck in Ga.  The local bottle shop has a list, but from what I see it really does not matter much. They even have a list fro Blantons. I mean, BLANTONS! Good bourbon but its been in my liquor cabinet as a everyday drink for freaking 15 years.

As Mad Monk points out, I used to go to the Party Source on a trip with my ex to Lexington for her dog herding trials. I would walk out of Party Source with a grocery cart full of Four Roses Single Barrel, George T Stagg, Sazerace 18 and Eagle Rare 17. Give a few bottles as presents at the holidays (even think my secret santa kids may have benefited). So I was hoping I might still be able to grab the Antique Collection off the shelf in Lexington.

None of this stuff ever appeared in Atlanta even 7 years ago. The distributor for Buffalo Trace would not carry it, or at least, not then. I literally finished my last bottle of Sazerac 18 this weekend for a friend's b'day herf. Good bourbon should not be this hard to find.

And I just do not prefer Scotch. AAARRRRGGGG

DePasta said:
  A lot of the rarer older stuff is going to restaurants as well where they can get a bigger markup.  

That's how I ended up without a bottle last year, despite having been "on the list" and knowing the local Spec's liquor manager---the distributor only sent them ONE bottle of Stagg, and Katz 21, a local high end steakhouse, got my bottle at the store owner's say so.   ???

~Boar

Went by one of the local shops today and the release of the BT Antique stuff is supposed to be later in Oct.  Missed the lottery at the other fine local shop where I scored a Sazerac 18 last year.  Gotta have some GTS for opening day of duck season, it is a long standing tradition (well at least as long as its been around).  

Cparker said:
So if I want Eagle Rare 17, Sazerace 18 I am pretty much SOL ? I do not have any real connections in the liquor distribution business which is one fustercluck in Ga.  The local bottle shop has a list, but from what I see it really does not matter much. They even have a list fro Blantons. I mean, BLANTONS! Good bourbon but its been in my liquor cabinet as a everyday drink for freaking 15 years.

As Mad Monk points out, I used to go to the Party Source on a trip with my ex to Lexington for her dog herding trials. I would walk out of Party Source with a grocery cart full of Four Roses Single Barrel, George T Stagg, Sazerace 18 and Eagle Rare 17. Give a few bottles as presents at the holidays (even think my secret santa kids may have benefited). So I was hoping I might still be able to grab the Antique Collection off the shelf in Lexington.

None of this stuff ever appeared in Atlanta even 7 years ago. The distributor for Buffalo Trace would not carry it, or at least, not then. I literally finished my last bottle of Sazerac 18 this weekend for a friend's b'day herf. Good bourbon should not be this hard to find.

And I just do not prefer Scotch. AAARRRRGGGG

What you are saying is correct, until demand dies down or supply catches up (in a long time) the gray market has attracted a lot of unscrupulous practices....I quit trying to search it out and I know quite a few inside tracks.  I have resorted to drinking through my collection supplementing it with some good younger stuff.  Been enjoying a lot of Willet's stock as of late including Johnny Drum and Old Bardstown, along with some of the other main stream brands.  Hopefully will be able to wait this "fad" out, although that is many years from now.

There are a lot of people who aren't even bourbon drinkers who get the stuff just to post on Craigslist at 3-4 times the price for a quick buck and people are willing to pay it.

Cparker said:

In Lexington the most well known place for buying loads of quality bourbon is Liquor Barn.  It's big.  In my opinion it's not as good as The Party Source (by the way, Dan, they are distilling at the Party Source now.  They are also brewing.).  Liquor Barn has huge selection and some pretty solid street cred with the distillers.  They have a store not terribly far from Keeneland.  Check this out:  http://www.liquorbarn.com .

I am not as pessimistic about finding quality bourbon as DePasta.  That's partially a function of my living in Ohio, a wasteland of liquor distribution where MadDog 20/20 is kept on the same shelf with Basil Hayden.  Kentucky is still the best place to buy great bourbon.  The Party Source bourbon aisles are a beautiful beautiful sight...and their humidor isn't too shabby either.

Thanks, Stu. I thought so. I tried that Elmer T Lee you recommended, and have to say it is my current favorite. Fair price too. I'm considering getting a few bottles to cellar.

i trusted your recommendation implicitly but, even going in with a high degree of confidence i was still VERY surprised, Incredibly refined complexity of sweet, savory, and masterfully refined nose. Tones of caramel, sage, mint, berry, oak, etc. Definitely expresses a great WORLD CLASS bourbon, As good as any single malt. An intense, spicy, aromatic, i.e., very inviting and patience challenging nose to get to the first sip.  

The first sip went from a pleasant understated bitter undertone which was perfectly and quickly followed with a backbone of brilliantly supporting plethora of a long soft vanilla, lime, soft tannins which actually add than detract, ( abhor tannins) and several other falvors which I can't recall. Certainly the absolute best sour mash I've EVER tried and, by a Very long  and distinguished, shot.. A masterpiece of  astute standards, palate, and remarkable skill. There are a few of the much higher priced bourbons I have not tried yet, but knowing what comes from those distilleries, and suspecting there are family signature essences, I suspect NOTHING is going to surpass this. You're a genius, and my New Bourbon guru. I owe you. (when you least expect it, of course)  :cool:

MadMonk said:
Thanks, Stu. I thought so. I tried that Elmer T Lee you recommended, and have to say it is my current favorite. Fair price too. I'm considering getting a few bottles to cellar.

Agree with that assessment.  I had a bottle of the Elmer and went through it pretty quickly.  I have not been able to find another one of those either, although I;m sure there are a few around somewhere.

Jesus Dan.  You're going to make Stu's head swell so much his kilt won't fit over it.

MoeCizlak said:
Jesus Dan.  You're going to make Stu's head swell so much his kilt won't fit over it.

His praise is for the bourbon, not me!  Elmer T. Lee is remarkable stuff.