• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Bring your 'A' game

Once the weather cools off this weekend, I'll smoke one of the A's I have and write it up.

The ventilation in my cigar room should be completed this weekend.  Nothing like trying it out with an 'A'...

punk_lawyer said:
The ventilation in my cigar room should be completed this weekend.  Nothing like trying it out with an 'A'...

Dang! Now you're talking.

I have several Diademas, do those classify as an "A"? Never really gave it much thought.

punk_lawyer said:
Sweet, I'll pack my bags

It's Brent's contest, he would be the one to ask about what qualifies as an "A".

MadMonk said:

I have several Diademas, do those classify as an "A"? Never really gave it much thought.

Over in the contest thread, he says he's open to anything over 8". :D

tomthirtysix said:

Over in the contest thread, he says he's open to anything over 8". :D

I'm in!    ;)

I have always wanted to break out my A from it's coffin, and relax for several hours to enjoy it, but have never had such a chance until now. The wife went off to enjoy some pampering at QUA Bath & Spa - Caesar's Palace during my time in CF. I originally purchased this A from a member here a few years back, and it has aged in my coolidor. Upon lighting this particular stick, of which I didn't see any large cracks/issues, it started to unravel and ultimately popped at the foot after about 10 mins of smoking time. The CF GM (Michael Fayerverger) noticed this and approached me with an offer to swap out my A for one of his. I was shocked, and amazed at this as the A retails for $85, but he said it's not everyday that someone comes in here and wants to smoke an A. To show my appreciation, I reached into my Cigar Caddy, and handed him a DE FFP, of which he smiled and said thank you and smoked it right there.

So the A being reviewed was not mine, it was the one handed to me at Casa Fuente. (All in all I smoked about 1.5 OPUS A's that day) ;)

Cigar: Arturo Fuente Opus X
Size: 9.25 x 47 (PerfecXion A)
Origin: Dominican Republic
Wrapper: Dominican Republic
Binder: Dominican Republic
Filler: Dominican Republic

Appearance & Construction (9/10): Excellent appearance, very smooth with little veins running the length of the cigar. There was one small blemish on the wrapper where it looks like it was patched. Firm with a slight give all the way through and cap construction was excellent.

Prelight draws were sweet and spicy with notes of biscuit, nuts, and grains.

Flavor & Notes (8/10): Upon lighting the monster I was amazed at the smoothness and approachability of the flavors, not overwhelming but just very distinct leather and wood with a white pepper spice that lingered in the aftertaste. As the stick smoked through I noticed each individual flavor become more pronounced and then combine as I approached the 1/4 mark. Raisins and mocha made there way into this profile for a short time, appearing in the initial draw and then giving way during the exhale to the spice and pepper. The body is medium at this point.

The smoke production here is tremendous, effortless but not a wind tunnel as the draw has become tighter but not annoyingly so as I went into the half way mark. This is where the leather and wood really took over and began to work in unison with the spice, flavors at this point were married and blended quite well. 3/4 mark is where I cut another 1/8th of an inch off the cap to open the draw up a little more as it's been 1.75 hours smoking this beast. This resulted in more generous smoke, from each puff and slightly sweeter/cooler smoke too. The body is medium-full at this point.

The final quarter of this cigar is where it really shined, the famous OPUS X strength has now come center stage, and is hitting gracefully here no real nicotine knuckle sammich punch here but more of a firm introduction. The body is full at this point, gloriously full if I might say so.

Burn/Ash/Draw (9/10): The burn for such a large cigar was very good, and as the pictures show consistent throughout the duration of the smoke. Ash was steady, at one point holding on for over an 2" until I gently released it into the tray. 3/4 mark I cut 1/8th of an inch off the cap to open the draw only due to the fact that this smoke was approaching 2 hours of puffing and I needed it to easy up a bit. A small split appeared (as the pics show) in the last quarter but quickly resolved itself and wasn't an issue as I went ahead and nubb'd this bad boy.

Overall (9/10): I thoroughly enjoyed this cigar, not a first choice on anyone's list to pick up an A, but I think if you have the time and space, do it. This ride will not disappoint. I was expecting it to get me a little dizzy seeing it's an OPUS, but it did nothing more than a brown label tat would. All said and done, I would recommend this anyone looking to enjoy a a cigar with close to 3 hours to spare.

Thanks for reading, enjoy the pics. :)

1_zps597e6ec3.jpg

2_zps8454b815.jpg

3_zps78369dc3.jpg

6_zps04a013a1.jpg

7_zps59233dc9.jpg

8_zpsa02369a9.jpg

9_zps853feb92.jpg

10_zps82e171ba.jpg

11_zps7d4a43f3.jpg

12_zpsde332181.jpg

13_zpsa1e90c75.jpg

14_zps73da0ac7.jpg

15_zps2f458a6a.jpg

16_zpsa6e0509f.jpg

17_zpsbc32b189.jpg

18_zpsd0608b0b.jpg

I'd also like to thank Natasha at Casa Fuente for the peanuts and topping off my water when I was there for almost 3 hours! :love:

Water? Im sure that was a typo. I had a mojito and pitcher of sangria.

I had 3 Hemingway's Epitaphs alongside this smoke, the sugar helped combat any unwanted dizziness that I managed to avoid.

Excellent review.  Thanks for taking the time to enjoy the cigar, and write a review.     I have an Opus A left, and I think once the weather cools this fall it is going to be sacrificed on a beautiful day.

Jimmy, awesome review and an even cooler story about Michael hooking you up.  That's excellent service.  Thanks for posting it!

Thanks guys, I really enjoyed the time I spent smoking this cigar seeing it was in one of my favorite places in Vegas.

I'm trying to post this (copy paste from here) into the review section for better exposure, but can't copy all the code correctly like I used to.

Did something change within the editor?