• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Built in Wall Humidor - First time project

haguc

Hello everyone, I've been a lurker for quite some time and after reading some of your threads decided to do a project myself. I currently run a coolerdor and decided it is time to upgrade to a larger humidor that had some display capacity. I know that this project is not nearly up to the high end standards that some of the other humidors have been built using, but I wanted to have something that looked nice and most importantly worked. So, this is my project. I have an area above a bar that has a utility room behind it. I am building a humidor 14.25" wide to fit between the wall studs. It is inset and I have area behind it. So, I can hide my psu and other necessities in the utility room. This means that the exterior of the unit doesn't have to be fancy or look pretty, I can do whatever I need to it in order to make it function properly. This is where it is going to be:
2292345107_7c5fe115a8.jpg

In this image it will be located right where the the picture is on the wall above the candle. I will move the outlet to the other side of the stud
2292348599_78a8ac6bb4.jpg

Also, I have attached some pictures of my initial design. This is my first draft of the drawing
3468389950_98bb767743.jpg

This is the second cleaned up draft:
3468390042_4ef26b1f94.jpg

My design changed a good bit after I actually looked at the wall area behind and decided I couldn't make it as deep as I wanted, I do not currently have a drawing of what it will be, but the biggest things that changed are the following: Deleted rear air channel, made 4 drawers instead of 3 drawers.

I have a friend that works in cabinets but hasn't really done much with humidors, he has helped me a good bit, but I have done most of the work myself. I haven't ever done woodworking, but thought it would be fun to try. I am also trying to keep the project on a budget. This is my progress shots of what I have so far. I actually had it dry fitted, but took it apart for the night and didn't get a chance to get a picture of it together. For the construction I am doing 3/4" oak plywood on the outside of the unit for all the panels. I was not planning on doing a full interior lining of spanish cedar, trying to keep it on a budget for now. If I wanted to add cedar to the side panels later I could add it easily, but I want to make sure the thing works before I put too much money into it..... this is my first cabinet ever. The shelves and drawers will be spanish cedar, so everything in direct contact with the cigars will be cedar. Here we go:

The shelves will not go all the way to the back of the cabinet, so that should allow some air movement. I didn't do a full "crate" but put some holes in the shelves to allow for air as well.
3467575471_0db58db1d1.jpg

I think I am going to leave the shelves removable so that they can slide out.. can make the cabinet useful for other things later if someone doesn't want a humidor. There are grooves routed for the shelves on both end panels.
3467574903_c08a5d3350.jpg

This is a view with a shelf and top panel stuck in place.. gives an idea of what it will be:
3467575995_6f272e37c4.jpg

So.... here are my questions:
1.) Should I do anything special on the INSIDE of the box to help seal the plywood. I was thinking of staining the surfaces and then using a waterproof sealer gloss coat (I apologize for my lack of knowledge on teh proper terms) If I do this method, how long should I wait for it to completely air out?
2.) I could leave the oak natural and completely seal the oustide of the box with something. Is this a better alternative. As stated, it will be built inthe wall so the finish work on the sides doesn't matter, I can do anything to it.
3.) What sort of hinge should I get and use. I was thinking of doing a normal cabinet hinge that is surface mountd and then using a weather seal all the way around the door. The surface mounted hinge should give me a uniform gap around the outside for the weatherstripping to work properly.
4.) What sort of latch do I need on the door? I assume it would need to hold it tight to the weatherstripping if I went this direction?

That is where I am at right now, just trying to figure out what the next thing I should do is so that the unit will work properly. Thanks in advance for the help and critiques, I am doing this for fun and to learn so don't be afraid to critique.

There have been many humidor and larger type builds done by folks here.

Take a look around and dig in on the research side....you'll find a lot!

As for 3 and 4...my end table had Euro tpe hinges that are adjustable...they work fine. You could put a lock in, or just use magnets to keep it sealed tight.

Nice work!

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to seeing your progress. Curious as to why the drawers are on top? Are you really tall?

Great project, keep the pics coming! Search is your friend on this one, tons of info in the humi section.

Thanks for sharing, I look forward to seeing your progress. Curious as to why the drawers are on top? Are you really tall?

I am pretty tall, 6'2". Also, I figured that the cigars that are on the display shelves are the ones that I will smoke and share most often. I will use the drawers for more bulk storage, so if I get a box I can just put them in the drawers or use them for aging so I won't be accessing them too often. From my calculations I can have approximately 60-80 cigars on the display shelves at whatever length.

I also forgot to mention that it will have a glass front door with wood trim around. It was probably obvious but I thought I would mention it.

I did some more searching and found many people use Luan on the interiors. I work at a trailer factory and on our cheaper trailers we put a thin raw luan up on the interiors. From what I can tell, all luan is the same - mahogany, does this sound correct?

If so, I can get a thin layer of luan to put on the inside of it and not worry about the staining process. After a good amount of searching I still haven't found anything about sealing the plywood, it seems as if some people think it will work, but there are a lot of people that worry about it warping. If warping is a concern I just need to know what to do to it to make sure it is sealed properly.. haven't found an answer to this yet.

I wouldn't seal the luan, just leave it completely unfinished. I highly doubt it will warp enough to cause any problems.

I think it sounds like a pretty cool idea, and I think it will look great once it is done

Thanks guys... Did a little more work on it today. These are the drawers that I am using in the top section. The interior of each drawer has 2.5" x 7" x 12.25" clear... that should give me a good amount of space for some smokes in each of the drawers.
3471829596_9b39c01b25.jpg

3471018231_03bbccfe8a.jpg

Next week I will be working on assembling the cabinet structure together and then working on the door. Still have a good amount to do, but I am feeling like I am getting a lot closer.

Here are a couple more pics. I got the drawers (sides) sanded down over the weekend to smooth it out a bit. I worked on gluing the cabinet itself together yesterday, just got the clamps off of it and I think it looks pretty good. I still need to get the glass door ordered and get some weather stripping and a hinges, not sure when/how long before I make some more progress. Any other tips from anyone is always appreciated.

3483386435_c4e5db7554.jpg

3483385359_34575b10ea.jpg

Here are some shots with the drawers/shevles in it. The bottom section is going to have the humidifier (beads), fan, cutter, lighter, hygrometer, etc. I am leaving the shelves loose so I can slide them out later if I want to pull out a tray of cigars or if I need to get to the back to add a fan, run wires, or do something differently. The channels are routed snugly so the trays won't slide out but can be removed.

After looking at it a bit I think I am going to make the bottom area have a drawer like the top area to finish it off a bit more. It will also give it a matching look on the front. I am going to be doing half moon finger slots on the top of each drawer to be able to open them without having to pull them all out starting with the bottom unit.

3483505395_0a58d629a7.jpg

3484320844_2ce794d1b6.jpg

3484323758_1b2253f171.jpg

This last pic with the pens is showing the approximate installed height. You can get pretty good visibility of the trays. Tomorrow I will probably work on the bottom drawer and the finger slots.

Man I really hate to bring this up because that is such beautiful work you've done there. At least I'm bringing this up before you get it installed in the wall.
For the unit to be above counter height I probably would have put the drawers on the bottom and the shelves on the top. It seems like it might be a bit difficult to look into the top or maybe the top two drawers once it is installed. A high shelf does not present the same problem as a high drawer because it is sloped and you can see what is on it and it's all good as long as you can reach it. You have to be above the drawer though so you can look down into it. Other than that..I sure wish I could do such fine woodwork.

Thanks for the feedback. I currently run a humidor and decided to go with this design for a couple of reasons.
1. It has a lot of display area, being able to show off single sticks and making it quick and easy when I am sharing for someone to pick what they want.
2. It still had bulk storage. When I get in my current coolerdor I have some trays with singles and then I have some boxes that are at the bottom. I don't get into these boxes hardly at all because I have to play humi-tetris everytime to get everything back just right to get it closed.

The drawers that are located up high can be pulled out completely. If I was going to get into the bulk storage I will just grab a drawer and pull it out, set it on the counter to review its contents.

Not too much progress on my end, made the little, non full depth, drawer and added notches to be able to get into the drawers. The only thing really remaining now is to make the door and get it to seal properly. Here are a couple more updated pics.

3501141014_82129b8e35.jpg

3500323395_bb968ea5e1.jpg

This is looking excellent, can't wait to see the finished product. Great job!

Wow that's really coming along. Now for the messy part, cutting the sheetrock out!

Keep it up, I'm looking forward to more.

Thanks guys.. it is going slower than I would have liked, it would go faster if I knew what the next thing to do was instead of having to wait for direction, but it is getting there...

I just ordered some magnets to keep the door closed and the seal tight. I will be picking up the hinges tonight, so once I have these in hand i will be able to figure out how I want to do the spacing on the door.

Here is a link to the magnets I will be using: Magnets

You might want to consider a lock as well. Not just for the obvious, but if the lock mechanism is set right can help hold the door tight and keep the seal.

That's really not a bad idea. I would just have to decide what kind of mechanism will fit. I probably should have looked more into the door hardware and how it would work before I started building, but having never done this before, you learn as you go! I will check out a couple sites for latches/locks. Thanks.