• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Calling all B&M owners, employees and members

Sweetrice80

Deaf Mofo
Hey all,

To spare you all on the details, I will simply say I am in a need of a part time job. With that being said I am in the works of scheduling an interview with a cigar shop here in D.C. Specifically Drapers in their Bethesda branch. (They are actively looking for someone to work part time)

This will be my first "sales" job of any kind. I do have a wide range of knowledge on cigars as well room to learn more. So my question is, to those in the cigar business, what are you looking for when hiring someone in your cigar shop? I have had plenty of full time interview experience but never in the cigar business so I am looking for some tips to prepare for the interview.

Thanks in advance!

David

Just memorize these simple lines and you should be fine:

1) "No, that's plume.  Just wipe it off and you're good to go."
B) "They're a medium body smoke with a deep chocolate note.  You'll love them"
3) "I'm flattered, Senator.  But I'm in a relationship"

MoeCizlak said:

B) "They're a medium body smoke with a deep chocolate note.  You'll love them"

Other than the second one should be a "2" and not a "B", you nailed it...... :p

We look for someone who's friendly, personable, and somewhat intelligent.  If they're great with ppl, you can always teach them about cigars.  If they suck in dealing with people, NO amount of cigar knowledge will compensate for that.  Hope this helps!

MoeCizlak said:

2) "They're a medium body smoke with a deep chocolate note.  You'll love them"

You are killing me over here. That right there is funny. I don't care who you are!

Actually it is not as easy as it sounds.

Yes, you do have to know about cigars. You do have to be a people person, but, you also have to know about sales.

There are grudge sales. Like when your mechanic tells you, you have to spend $3,500 for a new transmission for your car. No one wants to, but if you want the car, you have to.

Then there are pleasure sales. Like when you walk into a cigar shop and want to buy cigars.

A good salesman will sell you the cigars you want, but then the cutter, lighter, humidor or travel case you didn't actually come in for.

Once you get the hang of it, it's what makes you a standout over the rest of the guys/gals on the floor.

Also, if a person wants a box by all means sell them a box, but the bread and butter people are the ones that come back week after week to pick a handful of stick. Box sales, with "normal" people will have them set for a few weeks.
I say "normal" because most folks aren't like some of the cigar nuts around here that buy box after box...lol

Good luck. Hope you got the job.