• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Calling The Suits

Smoking Mex

Fuma Lo Que Te Gusta
I am looking for the advice from CP's sharp dressers, for the last couple of years I have been lucky to pretty much wear what I have wanted to work. However in the very near future the dress code in the office is going up to a least business casual attire (slacks, polo type shirt, and or button up shirt) the tie may come later.

Anyway getting back to the point, I have not recently purchased slacks and will be doing so in the coming days.

I have always prefered the bottom hems to be unfinished and have had the hem altered by a tailor. My question is simlar to I am afraid: the dreaded cello on/cello off discussion. The reason I bring it up is that in recent conversation with the "modern man" the trend is to have the slacks finished with no cuff. I personally have always liked the cuff, but I don't want to be laughed at. I dont want to feel like the guy who wears the sportcoat with the leather patches if you know what I mean? :laugh:

TIA,
Adrian

Cuffs and pleats are classic, and always acceptable. Flat fronts and no cuffs, whereas not radical in terms of fashion, do tend to fade in and out of popularity.

And uh, those leather patches are sorta "in" right now.

No cuffs, no pleats but I cannot stop people from laughing at you. :D

And don't go the route of khakis and a polo everyday...

Maybe beat people to the punch and mix in a few ties. It can be done fairly casually.

-Mark

Cuff and pleats here. Always classic, but then again, I make everything look good.

Tim

I wear a tie everyday except Friday. Some of my slacks have cuffs some don't. I see people every day with cuffs and no cuffs. Depends on how dressy you want to look. No one is going to laugh.

Cuffed hems on pants work best if you're also wearing a suit jacket; otherwise they just look fussy. Depends on your personal build, as well; if you're tall and bulky, cuffed hems work well, but if you're short or very slim, they'll break up the line.

Now, if you mean FRENCH cuffs ... I really can't help you there. They only look good if you're Gordon Gekko or a pretty muscular/bulky guy. Fortunately, I used to play college football, because I like cufflinks.

Paradoxically, a dress shirt is going to cost you less than a decent polo, just because you'll get many more uses out of it. (Polos are infamous for color fade). If you're in a khakis-and-polo environment, a simple shirt is going to look much more professional. The disadvantage is that it needs ironing and starch. C'est la vie. Don't forget to always show up at work with polished shoes, too.

And finally, say NO to short sleeves in a suit. You are not a 1950's engineer at NASA. So long as you're not breaking out a slide rule on a regular basis, no short sleeves.

I think it depends more on your body type, height, build, etc.

I'm on the short and stocky side, so I wear flat fronts and no cuffs on my pants. Taller guys look better with pleats and cuffs. When it comes to shirts I avoid button down and spread collars and stick to point collars

It is a personal choice. If you are slim , no pleats and no cuffs is the way to go. With that said I wear pleats and cuffs. Have a pair done with and without and get someone to critique how you look, remember shoes are the important part in the cuff no cuff war, LOL.

I say cuff some bottoms and don't cuff some, why wear the same look everyday when you can have options, the same goes for pleats and flat fronts, get a mix of both, if you ask me you will always look more fashionable with both styles in your arsenal.

What I learned from a taylor once while getting some suits altered was this, if the pants have pinstripes cuff them to finish off the bottoms, if they are solid you can do the cuffs either way, straight or cuffed.

How casual is the business casual dress code going to be? In my office, Dockers and similar pants are acceptable. They're a hell of a lot more comfortable than suit-type slacks. Shirts are polo and above.

Cuffs and pleats here daily, no tie, button down shirts and/or polo's.

I'm in a 3 button Joseph Aboud every day that has cuffs and 1 pleat. The new style is 4 button and flat front, which is just fine too. The pleats make you look like you have a belly, even if you don't and that's why the flat front is coming back (same with fitted shirts).

Shorts and tshirts for me, but if customers are involved, then cuffs and pleats.

I'm with the guys that say why not do both? I have some pleated/cuffed and some flat/straight, and wear both regularly. The pleated/cuffed are definitely more dressy, and may look a bit out of place with a polo shirt. With a suit, I feel that flat/straight slacks look too casual.

Surely you're joking! Ever since i retired it's been nothing but collar starched, cuffs are a must and tails. What were you thinking? :laugh: ;)

I try to stay away from pleats. I'll let MC Hammer have those. I have some cuffed and not cuffed.

The no cuff, no pleat is more of a trendy thing right now. I'm 99% confident the only reason I like them is subconciously I am trying be younger and avoid the truth!!! :D

Levis and a polo shirt.

Levis and an untucked linen button down. I love our new boss.

Shorts, Hawaiian shirt, flip flops. :whistling:

I haven't worn a suit in a loooong time.

You do really need to go somewhere where they can look at you and get you into something that fits your body type. I would recommend staying within the dress code but dressing for comfort as much as you can. There's nothing worse than wearing uncomfortable clothing (usually ill fitting) all day.