• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Can I ask a stupid bourbon question?

CigarStone

For once, knowledge is making me poor!
Thanks! When I used to teach some engineering classes, I always said "there is no such thing as a stupid question ..... just the people who ask them"

Is there a preferred method of tasting that enhances the bourbon? I know with red wine, there are very specific methodologies, so I though maybe it could be the same for bourbon?

I don’t know, can you ask?

How about may I ask a stupid bourbon question?

While we are at it….. I know your 9th grade teacher said there was no such thing as a stupid question, but…… 😅

I just sip it neat. No water, no ice, no shots. I don't know if that's the "correct" way or not, but I figure it's the closest to a pure experience.

And yeah, I know about water supposedly unlocking all the amazing flavors in scotch, just tastes like watered down scotch to me.

I just sip it neat. No water, no ice, no shots. I don't know if that's the "correct" way or not, but I figure it's the closest to a pure experience.

And yeah, I know about water supposedly unlocking all the amazing flavors in scotch, just tastes like watered down scotch to me.
Limestone filtered water for bourbon but not too much.

You can drink it neat, in which case something like a Glencairn snifter or other specialized whiskey glass is not a bad idea. I mostly reserve neat for Blanton's and Stagg, personally. My go to jam for bourbon is one of those big ice cubes, the kind where only one fits in the glass.

I have freezing trays for spheres, cubes, and skulls.

110500d5dffae38f3e5936a63d797e17.jpg

~Boar

From what I gather, trying the same bourbon different ways may enhance some of the unique flavors. Using a splash of water as in a few drops to a cap full per drink will react with the alcohol and bring more to the nose.

I prefer to try it straight/neat, then add a splash of water. I almost never chill with stones or ice.

I agree with the statements about a little water bringing out the tastes. I use ice for this reason. I think the water from the ice enhances the flavors. But it is vital to have FRESH ice made from good water. If I dont have ice frozen that day, then it's no ice.

If I can chime in from a Scotch drinker. Just a bit of water and I like a big orb of ice.

Is there a name for it if you drop a lemon twist into neat bourbon?