• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Candela cigar review

jgohlke

My other hobby
Testing the waters for a themed review of candela cigars. Anybody interested?

I have been wanting to try a few of these for a while and thought it would be cool to repeat the success we had with the CI Legends review series.

I'm willing to do all the legwork and am open to suggestion about which cigars we review. Once we get a set list, we'll figure out someway to get a deal on them. Each reviewer will be responsible to pay for their own cigars (although I'm willing to buy a box upfront and then collect the money). Or maybe can get one of the cigar shops to make us up a package deal. We'll figure something out based on how many folks are willing to participate.

I'm thinking we could review 5-10 cigars...maybe one or two per month. Each reviewer gets 2 cigars of each type. The cost may go up and down a bit, but we'll shoot for $20/month or less (including shipping) for an average. I'm flexible about the structure.

We should aim for somewhere in the corona or just slightly larger size. I don't want to have to suffer through a churchill-sized cigar that tastes like crap!

Here's my short list of nominees:
JR Ultimate
Fuente - not sure which one, I've seen them at my local B&M
Graycliff Emerald
Macanudo makes a candela I'm pretty sure

When it is all said and done, all the reviewers get a nice package from me for participating.

Newbies welcome...just be sure you don't bite off more than you can chew. It's a committment for some of your time and money.

Ok...let's see if there is any interest...

Edits:

Jan 4 - added cigar review schedule

Jan 1-15 Arturo Fuente 858
Jan 16-31 Astral
Feb 1-15 Camacho Robusto
Feb 16-28 Cuba Aliados Robusto's
Mar 1-15 Don Thomas cetro's
Mar 16-31 Indian Tabac

Sounds like a neat idea.

One question - would the review have to be based on smoking both cigars, or would one be acceptable? I only smoke a few each week, and tend toward fuller bodied stuff. I'd be happy to buy two, smoke one, and if there was something I really didn't like about it, smoke the second one to make sure the first wasn't an anomaly.

If that's ok, I'd definitely be in.

Count me as interested. I enjoyed the AF 858 I smoked and wouldn't mind testing the waters of a few other brands.

Tigger - I was thinking two cigars mostly to provide the reviewer with a larger sample than just one. That way if the first is really bad, really good, made poorly or whatever, the 2nd cigar can help confirm or deny the issue. You wouldn't have to smoke both of them for the review if they both seemed the same.

Ok...who else has been dying to puff their way through some green cigars?

I’m a glutton for punishment. Sign me up.

Still trying to decide if I can commit, but I would humbly offer a couple more cigar suggestions. Cuba Aliados makes what I consider a good candela. Camacho also makes one. I believe I've seen adds for a Don Thomas candela as well.

I am game. Something about the possibility of self torture always appeals to me. :)

Indian Tabac makes a Candela as well.

i'd love to, but can't afford to right now :( maybe next month when my cigar budget is back.

I am in if you have room. I am starting to like reviewing new sticks.

Maybe You'll add also Iguana to this "review pack" hm? :)

I would do it, the AF 858 is one of the candela's (they call it claro) and I think they also have a churchill sized one as well.

I wouldn't want to do Churchill sized sticks in the winter if I can avoid it.

Really fragile wrappers so going outside at all will burst a couple of them I bet.

Ok, haven't checked this thread in a day or two and it's nice to see that it's getting some activity. We even have a celebrity poster from the Dogwatch Social Club...pretty cool.

Here's the list so far:

jgohlke
tigger
AVB
bilder
AngryFishH
golfgar

with a few folks as "possibles":
CasaSoho
DogWatchDale

So that is 6 confirmed, with maybe 2 more. CS and DWD - you guys can participate as time and money allow if that is better for you.

Dale makes some good suggestions...Michal I've smoked an "iguana" and it ain't gonna make this list (it was stink-OH!).

I'll do some scouting at the local B&M (Corona cigar store) this weekend and try to come up with a list and some prices. We don't have to buy from there, but this will give us a starting point.

If you have any other suggestions..post away!

After having reviewed the Legends series a while back, I purposely suggested a smaller cigar (corona sized)...I can always toss a bad cigar if I'm smoking for fun, but felt obligated to soldier through a couple of the Legends to ensure a fair and complete review. Let's shoot for the corona size...you'll thank me halfway through your first "El Doodio Especial"....

Cheers,
Joe

Hey AFish - if we can find a place to do it, we'll have to get together and review one of the greenies at the same time! :)

VM - always room for another guy willing to take one for the team!

I did some research this weekend at the local B&M and here's what I found. I didn't include any prices here, but can provide them in a spreadsheet via email if you are interested. I'll pm you with my email address.

A couple of companies make a "claro" which uses for a wrapper, more of a natural leaf, although it is light green (or light green/tan), than a true candela. I'm not sure if we should include these or not.

this one ==>> Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 claro

True Candelas locally available:

Grayclif Emeral Robusto
Camacho Robusto
Corona (house brand) Robusto

I've been cruising Cbid and manage to score a box of Cuba Aliados Robusto's for a good price. I have an open bid on a box of Don Thomas cetro's (6.5 x 42) that closes today.

All of the cigars are very reasonably priced (around $5/each, with the Cbid boxes in the $2/stick range...except for the Grayclif Emeralds which are closer to $20/stick...still I'd like to include the Emerald).

I did a search on "candela" at CI and found a few more. Here's the tentative review list:

Cuba Aliados Robusto's - have a full box
Don Thomas cetro's - open bid on box, closes 12/18
Grayclif Emeral Robusto - pricey, but I'd like to smoke one
Camacho Robusto -
Indian Tabac - lonsdale or toro
Astral -

Arturo Fuente 8-5-8 claro - not a real candela, so not sure about this one. Generally, I'm an AF fan, so adding this one is ok with me, but I don't know how well it fits the "candela" category.

I figure at 2 cigars per, these 5 or 6 cigars put us in the $80 range give or take...we can break it up into 2 chunks if that works better for folks.

I'll wait until I know for sure about the DT's and then I'll email you with the spreadsheet.

I'm willing to put together reviewer packages for each of us and then ship them out if you guys want to send me the money and save yourself the hassle of hunting down the cigars. Normal CP rules apply (you'll know what I've spent on each cigar and pay only my actual expenses including shipping). It seems likely that there will be some cigars left over which I'll keep or auction off depending on if I like them or not (you guys can have first dibs).

Opinions or comments?

Still trying to decide if I can commit, but I would humbly offer a couple more cigar suggestions. Cuba Aliados makes what I consider a good candela. Camacho also makes one. I believe I've seen adds for a Don Thomas candela as well.

I don't think I can commit to this excellent enterprise, but I'm sure I can dig up the time to come over to the Dogwatch Rocky Mountain headquarters to heckle. :laugh: