• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Canning Question.

SKYDIVNEKD

Call me "Walt Kowalski"
Fellas,

I've been jarring some bulk tobacco and just got to wondering. Do any of y'all add a humi packet to the jars, to keep the tobacco moist over time? Sort of like aging seegars in a humidor that's humidified. I ask because I read a review that said this one particular "bulk blend" was much drier than the tinned version.

Any thoughts or ideas are appreciated. Thanks.

Floyd T

Nope, I’ve never added anything to the jars, besides tobacco. I just put the tobacco in a fresh jar, with a fresh lid and forget about it. It might take weeks, but it will eventually seal itself. I've never had any problems doing it this way.

Thanks, Brandon. That's what I've been doing until I read that. Thanks for the confirmation. Every now and again, I'll hear the "pop" as one of the newer jars seals. Pretty cool. Happy New Year to you, my friend. I'm going to be visiting Tulsa a bit after the New Year. Two drivers are bailing on me, and I'll be interviewing. I'll try to give you a heads up, in case ya wanna join for a seegar.

Floyd T

I just throw it in a mason jar and put the lid on. I'll think I hear on pop once in awhile , used to worry me a bit ,but after checking the 4th or 5th time the seal was still sealed.

On a newly filled jar , a few days after I fill it I'll hear a pop.

I have a bunch of bulk tobaccos from 2008 (shameless plug for my post in the buy, sell, trade thread) and I have popped those jars once and spritzed some of them with distilled water.

Most of them didn't even need anything.

One tobacco that arrived dry, and seems to want to stay dry, is Erik Stokkebye 4th Generation Family Reserve. Delicious but always a bit dryer than most.