• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO MX3

jorel

A few months ago, I jumped on a 5-er offered by a fellow BOTL from CP of the CAO MX3 made for Drapers (no expert here - says so right on the label!).

Big fan of CAOs. Overall, I think they are extremely well made with great flavor. Most CAOs I've had are very interesting to smoke. Rarely do I find them "one dimensional." Some of my favorites are the Brazilia and Italia (and wow the Bratalia). I'm also partial to "regular" CAO maduros.

Frankly, I'm a big fan of maduros - actually my preferred wrapper. I thought perhaps the combination of the CAO brand/reputation with the beloved maduro in triplicate would be nirvana.

Maybe it was too much of a good thing. The cigar was beautifully constructed, per CAO style. Cutting the cap revealed a great, earthy yet sweet maduro. The vitola lit well with no burn problems. The draw was great. You can see the pic in the amazingly dark wrapper.

I tried to love it, per se, but it didn't love me back. I kept hoping for a wow factor filled with maduro - but instead I didn't really get much flavor at all. It smoked well enough - but never got interesting. I never had the great maduro experience I was expecting. I was sharing another from my stash with a buddy - and without prompting - he had similar experience.

I gave one away - which means I have a pair left. Will let them sit for a while longer and try again!

John

4003035708_c5764c48d1_o.png

Damn, sorry to hear this. :( I love the Mx2's, particularly the box press, and this is on my hit list of a must try smoke. I was gifted one recently by a great botl here for the purpose of giving to a friend as a birthday smoke. He loved it, maybe you just got some duds, though two smoked in tandem with similar experiences leaves that hard to believe. Hopefully when you smoke the other two later down the road they are great.

Thanks for the honest review! I'm a big fan of the CAO Anniversario Maduro myself so I was excited to try the Mx2. I had a similar experience to yours and decided not to pursue that one anymore. Still have plenty of others by CAO I like though.

I agree with both of you - lots of CAO maduros - including the MX2 - that are great.

I had similar "experience" with triple "xyz" blends - maybe it's the tipping point between 2s and 3s that doesn't give that extra oomph I expect.

A newb perspective, anyway.

John

Never had an mx3 but I love the mx2....Haven't had a CAO that I didn't like so far. Sorry bro...I've only had a few sticks that were well terrible, or didnt live up to the hype.

My local B&M told me to only ever buy the CAO Box-Pressed editions because they save their best tobacco for them. Sorry to hear that you didn't like the Mx3, I did enjoy the Mx2 alot.

My local B&M told me to only ever buy the CAO Box-Pressed editions because they save their best tobacco for them. Sorry to hear that you didn't like the Mx3, I did enjoy the Mx2 alot.

I have yet to try one of the box pressed - so now I'll be on the lookout. Thanks for the tip.

john

I'll have to ask the rep over at Bo's about that. I do admit though that the Mx2 Box Pressed is definitely tastier than the regulars, even though I like them as well. Interesting.

I was disappointed by this one too. Not sure why but I suspect that the maduro is better in small doses (a wrapper). I found the MX3 very one dimensional.

I was told it wasn't just their box presses but the cigars that receive the pretty boxes and wrapping tend to get better tobacco. I don't know if I can personally vouch for that because all I smoke are their BPs. :cool:

Thanks for the review, even if it wasn't a positive experience for you.

I intorduced a buddy to CAO cigars, namely by telling him how much I enjoyed the Mx2. He eventually found out about the Mx3 and decided he has to somehow get his hands on one. I'll point this out to him... a little "heads up" that just because there's more maduro in the cigar, won't necessarily make it leaps and bounds better than the Mx2.
His MMV.

Question though, how hard are the Mx3's to get a hold of? Just in case my buddy really needs them I wouldn't mind finding out how to hook him up with one or two.

Thanks for the review, even if it wasn't a positive experience for you.

I intorduced a buddy to CAO cigars, namely by telling him how much I enjoyed the Mx2. He eventually found out about the Mx3 and decided he has to somehow get his hands on one. I'll point this out to him... a little "heads up" that just because there's more maduro in the cigar, won't necessarily make it leaps and bounds better than the Mx2.
His MMV.

Question though, how hard are the Mx3's to get a hold of? Just in case my buddy really needs them I wouldn't mind finding out how to hook him up with one or two.

Keep an eye on your mail box this week. I've got a few left, not a big fan of maduro in general although I don't mind these as a change.

Just picked up an MX2 box press based on the posters above. I'll give it a try within the week!

John