• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

CAO Vision

DarrenR

I swear I am number 8!
Brand: CAO Vision
Name: Catalyst
Ring: 50
Length: 5:
Wrapper: Domonican (Corojo)
Binder: Dominican
Filler: Dominican, Nicaragua, Brazil
Cost: $11.65
Medium-Full
Accompanied by: Montecristo Coffee
Smoke time: about 1 hour

The scene: I was at a CAO event yesturday. Let me say that other than the Brazil and Gold 10th anniversery figurados, which I love, I have never went out of my way for CAO cigars. They are ok cigars. I did not have high hopes as I went today. My Local cigar group made a good showing and that was great. :thumbs:
There has been a little hype on these so I was sceptical as the sale rep went through the make up of the cigar. On a side note I was impressed with the reps knowledge. I have had little luck with other events on that.

The Cigar: CAO has cornered the market on marketing. :cool: The boxes for these bad boys where lit up like a christmas tree and where very smooth looking. Bright blue neon contrasting with the pearl white humidor they come in. It also comes with a built in hygrometer. They pull you in with that. I had a hard time looking at the cigar until I left the room with it. :laugh:
Nice construction. A white with silver trim band in the same shape as the X2 line with a slight arc veriation and a toe band with a number on it. Firm but not hard. Some veins but only enough to make it not perfect. Color was a nice tan like swade leather. A hint of earth in the pre-light aroma. I did look nice.

The light: Clean cut. Very nice enterior construction from the cut end. It lit cleanly and started off with a fair amount of smoke. White with gray streaking through it. A little coaxing was needed, I think it was a tiny bit wet for my taste.

The smoke: Right away I did taste a slight similarity to the Opus from the wrapper. Don't get all upset I did not say it tastes completly like it. Just a hint from the Dominican wrapper. I was alittle disapointed in the first 1/4 of an inch. It was alittle bitter. I almost lost hope. Then it started to draw me back in. The flavors of leather and earth started to come out. The smoke picked up and the aroma became very rich. No real spice so there was not a big kick to this smoke. The pallette of the cigar did get pretty complex I was catching some sweetness, definate leather and firm rich undertones that I could not make out. The coffee that I drank was a little too rich for this cigar. I think this would be perfect with a light nutty coffee or a cappuccino. By the time I realized it I actually nubbed this cigar.

The Verdict: This is a medium body smoke at best. I suggest that you try it. No, it is not an Opus. It does not have that power or spicey ness. No, it's complexity does not compare to a PAM. I will not put my Anejo down for this yet. It was a very good alternative. It never tried to be either. It was just itself. I was not wowed, I will leave that for the next one to decide. I bought 3 more and I can't wait to try another after a few months of age. I was impressed because it was kind of refreshing to see anew cigar that was not just about power. I felt as though it might be something new for me to add to the humi. I think with age the flavors in this cigar will be very good and it might stand up as a very good alterative to some of the other premiums. Judge for yourself. If you get a chance grab one.
I hope this helps some one.
DarrenR

Nice review, Number 8! Great to see you posting.

I've had a Catalyst resting in the humi for a couple of months now. Might be time to whip it out.

Thanks for the preview of what might actually be a decent cigar.

Wilkey

Some one gifted one of these to me last year after a CAO Event here in San Antonio. I thought it was an great smoke. However, depending on their asking price, it may not be that great. Sweet review.

Lopaka

Great review bro!!!
For some reason, these smokes really have my interest... I guess I'm a sucker for the pimped out box!!! :blush:

I had one a couple days ago... unfortunatly my experiance was different....

Mine was very bitter... i put it out after half of it. I will probably buy another and age it but at 16.00 for the torpedo i wont be dropping my every day smoke to get one of these.

I'd say try one but dont expect too much.

on another note... the humidor they come in is amazing!

Thanks for the review. I have seen the nifty packaging of these under the lighting. They do glow. I've only had a few CAOs, like the Black, Brazilia, and they are good smokes. Sometimes I wonder if they should spend more energy on the smokes vs. the packaging though.

Thanx for the great review! The box was a turn-off for me but I'll get over it.

I hate slick marketing so CAOs are sometimes a psycho-block problem for me. :D

I just bought one the other day on the recommendation of my old boss...he loved it and hates all CAO's. Also, the Humi manager at one of my favorite places to buy (he's been around the block a few times over the last 100 or so years) said it was the best cigar coming out of the DR in the last 2 years or so. This from a guy who only smokes Cubans from Spain and compaired this to the Don Carlos 30th Anneversario in flavor and quality! Mine will be torched this St. Patrick's Day... We'll see!

-Fetter

I thought it was a forgettable smoke... not bad, but not a standout either.

I had one a couple days ago... unfortunatly my experiance was different....

Mine was very bitter... i put it out after half of it. I will probably buy another and age it but at 16.00 for the torpedo i wont be dropping my every day smoke to get one of these.

I'd say try one but dont expect too much.

on another note... the humidor they come in is amazing!

The torpedo's are going for $17.50 here in Des Moines. Even more supprising, people have been buying them here at that price.

For me the box is actually a big turn-off. It looks cheesy and over-produced to me. I'd rather just plain wood packaging and fantastic cigars than a neon glowing plastic box.

I just can't buy into the hype CAO does to this cigar...A cigar box lit up like a neon sign. ;) Seems a bit over priced too. I smoked one and it ain't worth the $$.

Just got done with my "Vision". I ain't seein' the light...YUCK! :( $15 better spent elsewhere...

-Fetter

I like alot of CAO cigars but I'm not impressed with this one. When it was announced I thought I would get a box but after looking at it, I have to admit it is cheesey. For being a corojo, I thought it would be stronger. As far as the price goes, it is ridiculous. I always say that the Sopranos would be a great cigar instead of a good cigar if it was about $5 cheaper. Now I understand the price because of the licensing issues with HBO. For this cigar to be even more expensive than the Sopranos is crazy. For what?! A plastic, white travel humidor that lights up. After smoking the torpedo, I'll pass on my next one..

with all the negatives on the cigar why is it selling out everywhere just cause it got ranked in Cigar Aficionado? i happened to have like the smoke but where i buy they sold out after they got on CA.

Thanks for the great review. CAO has just enough quality cigars to make you try the rest of the bad ones. They definitely know how to advertise though! I think CAO fits right in the middle of a cigar smokers journey between house brand $2 cigars and Opus, Anejo, and Davidoff's.