• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cat & Dog Wise Tales...

KayakinBoy

I was raised in the canebrake by an ol' mama lion
mydogs.jpg

As some of you all my know, we have three dogs in our household. Two are labs (one is part lab, part pitbull) and the third is a yorkie. Anyways, the two labs have gotten into three fights over the five or six years that we have owned them. This past friday, my Aunt went to feed them, and without thinking laid out one bowl of food before she could put out the second bowl. The two dogs got into a fight and it was pretty bad. One of the dogs had an x-ray and it showed that the she has a tumor in her stomach.

After hearing this, the family went into a discussion that maybe Lillie attacked Abby because she could sense that she was dieing. I laughed at this and told them "That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard." Well I'm sure you all know that didn't go over well...

My point being, have any of you all ever heard that if a dog can sense another dog is dieing, that it will try to kill the other one. Also have you ever heard that cats can "sense" death?

Sorry for the long and drawn out post. :blush:

There was a puff piece in the news not to long ago about a cat in a nursing home. Everybody it would hang around would die the next day.

It's say...yes.

Just like they can sense the weak and fear.

"Scientists believe that dogs can sense disease in others because of their evolutionary origin as wolves, who needed to be able to detect when someone in the pack was hurt or sick."

LINKY to cat thingy

Oh yea...my dog always new when I was stoned....Dorito crumbs were always on the floor! :laugh:

Come on... Alright what about the dog thing?

Oh yea...my dog always new when I was stoned....Dorito crumbs were always on the floor! laugh.gif

HA HA! You didn't get the dog stoned with ya? :sign:

I whole-heartedly believe that dogs can sense that kinda stuff. The only serious fight, draw blood serious, that our two dogs ever had was the week before Christmas 2006. I came completely out of the blue and was totally out of character for the agressor dog. They had been living together for 6-7 years to this point.

The non-agressor had to be put down the day after Christmas. She had total liver failure due to an undiagnosed tumor. Broke my heart.

The non-agressor had to be put down the day after Christmas. She had total liver failure due to an undiagnosed tumor. Broke my heart.

Sorry to hear that. The vet told us the dog with the tumor has about a year or two left. It killed the weekend. Friday was the worst day I've had in a long time.

It's say...yes.

Just like they can sense the weak and fear.

"Scientists believe that dogs can sense disease in others because of their evolutionary origin as wolves, who needed to be able to detect when someone in the pack was hurt or sick."
Survival of the fittest.Mother nature at work.

Sorry to hear about the tumor.

I don't have any empirical proof, but I suspect it's possible that sickly dogs can send out a 'please put me out of my misery' vibe based on a very strange encounter between our dogs and a neighborhood dog.

We've got two retired racing greyhounds--one is friendly as can be and has never met a stranger (dog or human), the other one is suspicious of everyone and openly dislikes most men, tall people, black people, and people in hats until she gets to know and trust them (which can take minutes or years) and she isn't always interested in other dogs. Anyway, we don't have a fenced in yard (nor does anyone else in our subdivision), so that means we take a lot of walks around the neighborhood for poops and pees.

We know all of the other dogs and dog owners, and our dogs know all the other neighborhood dogs (although we try to stay away from the spastic little yippers, as our shy one has a pretty high prey drive and I don't want to take any chances because it would be over before it would start...) One of the dogs we know is a very old (15? 16? 17? Somewhere in that range, I can't remember exactly, but it's shockingly old) Siberian Husky. It's very slow moving, probably because it's ancient and always near boiling in the Miami heat and humidity.

Our dogs got along just fine with him when we'd stop to do the buttsniff ritual whenever we'd cross paths on walks, so neither I nor the Husky's owner did anything to prevent our dogs from greeting one another. One day, our friendly dog saw the Husky coming down the sidewalk, and when it was about 100 feet away or so, she simply laid down in the grass in the Sphinx position, eyes totally fixated on the Husky. Our high strung dog was consumed with sniffing and investigating, and paid no attention to the Husky at any point. As the Husky grew closer, my friendly dog just sat there calmly and quietly in the grass until the Husky was about 10 feet away and she just absolutely lunged at the Husky, hackles up, teeth bared, jaw snapping and trying like hell to drag me and the other dog close enough to attack the Husky.

Luckily, I had the leashes wrapped around my wrist (a must with greyhounds) and all that resulted was a sore shoulder and a couple of surprised owners. I've never seen my dog behave that way before or since, and the weirdest thing is that the Husky made no move to avoid my dog or to defend itself. The Husky is still alive and kicking, but the owner crosses the street every time she sees us. There are no hard feelings (I was amazed at the owner's nonchalance immediately after the episode 'Eh, they're just dogs being dogs...') and while we've kept the dogs away from each other since then, I don't get the feeling that the dogs have any sort of lingering grudge either.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the Husky put out a signal asking another dog to please put it out of its misery. My dog that snapped is a very fit alpha female, and the one who paid no mind to any of it is a decidedly non-alpha female. The fact that my headstrong and sassy dog was the aggressor and my subservient and suspicious dog was uninterested in any of it suggests to me that it very well may have been some sort of dog hierarchy thing going on. I don't know whether regular interaction is required for any pack dynamics to emerge (we had no interaction with the Husky beyond buttsniffing on walks), or if it's something that's always lingering at the forefront of every dog interaction.

As far as stoned dogs, I knew a dog who would follow along one person behind the rotation and expect to have everyone blow into his ears.

I don't think it's some sixth sense or mystical animal ability. I saw a special on one of the evening news programs.... Dateline, 20/20, 60 min..... can't remember which. They were saying that animals, dogs in particular, can smell certain diseases. It gave an example of how one dog could smell cancer in the breath of a person who had lung cancer before they were even diagnosed. I'll try and find a linky. It's not too far fetched considering that dogs can smell one drop of urine in sixty million drops of water!

edit add: I guess it was 60 minutes. <---click there

Oh well. I still can't get my head around the idea one of my dogs was trying to "kill" the other to save her from pain. Kind of odd considering my vet has told me numerous times, that since the dogs are so close, when one dies, the other might die sooner than normal due to anxiety.

Working as a vet assistant for a few years, I have a little knowledge of animal behavior. If you lay one bowl out and both dominant type dogs go for it, there is going to be a fight, no matter how friendly they are. It's all about who's in line for the pack leader. If one shows weakness (yes I believe they can sense sickness) the other will step up and take their place.

I hope everything turns out good. They are 2 cute pups.

Working as a vet assistant for a few years, I have a little knowledge of animal behavior. If you lay one bowl out and both dominant type dogs go for it, there is going to be a fight, no matter how friendly they are. It's all about who's in line for the pack leader. If one shows weakness (yes I believe they can sense sickness) the other will step up and take their place.

I hope everything turns out good. They are 2 cute pups.

I can agree with that 100%. Thanks for all the input!

Sorry to hear your pup is sick... I had to put mine down last year after he got bad tumors in his throat. :(

And yes, I believe dogs can sense things like weakness and sickness.

While I agree that animals can sense sickness I don't agree that they practice euthanasia.

First of all, you have a pit-bull.
So fights are common. My neighbor pit-bulls got into a fight and killed one.

As for smelling the tumor, I doubt the dog smelled it and decided to fight about it.
But I have seen this show where this woman was in her early stages of breast cancer. She did not know it at the time, but
her dog dove his nose into her breast because it obviously smelled something there. The dog never done anything like it before.
She realized something was wrong because she was sore. Went to the doc and found the problem. Since it was early in the stages, the cancer
was taken care of. After the operation, the dog never again dove his nose again.

Stop buying pit-bulls. Sheeez. Yeah, I know they are cheap, but that is not reason to get one.