• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cedar Chest

Tiger

I've got a cedar chest (think hope chest) about 5 feet long a foot or so deep about 2 feet wide. It's just regular cedar, so would it have to be relined with spanish cedar? (an achievable task, though a little pricey I think) Thinking about a large humidor because I've bought three in the past two months. I don't care for coolidors, mainly for aesthetic reasons, so that's why I'm looking at homemade alternatives. :) Any suggestions or opinions are welcome. Thanks.

Yes, it would have to be re-lined with spanish cedar or luan.

Fair enough. Thanks. :) Did a little more research and I guess re-lining it won't cost all that much after all.

Some others may have a better perspective on this, but I don't know if it is a very good idea using the cedar chest. I don't personally have one, but when I have looked at them in the past they seem to be extremely "cedary" smelling. Even if you line the entire interior with spanish cedar, I think that the strong scent of the cedar is going to overwhelm the case. Using other woods don't have as strong a scent as normal cedar and can be easily lined with spanish cedar to make into a humidor.

Another thing to consider may be to seal with a polyurethane or something before you line it with the spanish cedar. This would help to lock in the scent possibly? The project might work out.. just thought I would throw in my opinion on it. Good luck!

+1 on what Haguc said. Cedar is a very aromatic wood even after it has been dried out and could seriously affect the flavor of your cigars. A good sealant might help but that is a pretty big risk if you have a stash big enough to fill a chest that size.

Also how good of a seal is this chest going to have? If it doesn't seal then keeping a satisfactory and stable RH is going to be extremely difficult.

I'm no expert but just my .02 YMMV

Excellent points. The cedar is very old, the chest is probably over 50 years old, never the less I'll re-line it, I found a site with spanish cedar at really reasonable prices. I thought that would be more expensive. I think the seal is as good as a humidor, but I think I'll have the cedar overlap into the lid. Dont' have enough sticks to fill it, but I'm probably around three quarters full for all of them. Please, if anyone can think of anything else let me know, I'm sure I've forgotten something and it's just not hitting me yet.
I know I have to figure the square footage of the chest, but I won't do that till I have it relined, but first I want to strip the dark stain off it, and sand it down a bit to get some of the worst of the knicks in the wood out. Temperature shouldn't be an issue since it's going to be in the same place I'm keeping the humi's I have now. Also once I get started I'll post pics if anyone is interested in it's progress.

Another thing to consider is if you do reline that with Spanish Cedar is how much it is going to expand and contract? If you line it super tight and the S.C. expands more from the humidity/temperature combo it could cause an array of problems such as an unproper seal, busting a seam, etc. And with the chest being 50 years old that would has already settled itself where it isn't going to expand or contract a whole lot. Spanish cedar will.

You should get in contact with humidor minister for questions about this. Also might I recommend this thread and this link inside that thread here.

:thumbs:

nother thing to consider may be to seal with a polyurethane or something before you line it with the spanish cedar. This would help to lock in the scent possibly?

I was thinking the same thing, but white shellac is a better sealer for cedar. Brush it on, sand it down, recoat. Should keep the cedar scent sealed in.

~Boar

Post some pics when you are done, or even during the process. I would be extremely interested in seeing how it comes out. Should be good.

Tiger what is the website you found with the cedar thats cheap. Im working on my own project and I have been trying to get a good deal.

I would think the aromatic ceder would easily overcome the Spanish cedar. Using this chest would be a colossally bad idea.

have been here as well, I though you had a sight that was cheaper. Basically, its not the cheapest by far, but so far, I dont have any other choice. Thanks for the info though.

I would think the aromatic ceder would easily overcome the Spanish cedar. Using this chest would be a colossally bad idea.
Agreed. Unless you have a larger problem of moths attacking your cigar inventory. There is a reason American Cedar works so well for clothing storage.