• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cedar walls in a thermoelectric?

mmurley

In upgrading my humidors from a Pelican case humidor (perfect humidification but awkward) & a 20+ year old desktop (that's always given me fits), I picked up a "250" size "brand name redacted".

I was wondering if it would help (with maintaining humidity) to partly "line" it (not blocking the fan) with Spanish cedar?

Last edited:
That was to illustrate, but it's done. I shall never mention a brand again.
We are sensitive about people promoting brands and companies that aren’t blessed by @Rod who is the moderator. Stick around and you’ll see a plethora of people doing that for personal gain. Thank you for your response to @Gavin request.

That was to illustrate, but it's done. I shall never mention a brand again.
Not necessary, just weeding out the scammers & spammers from the good people. Your response points towards you being the latter. 👍

To answer the question at hand…I have a 150 Thermoelectric humidor. Besides the cedar trays it comes with, or any boxes you store in there, you aren’t gaining anything from adding more wood to the unit.

The biggest thing I’ve noticed with these units is depending where you live, the air intake and circulation can cause drastic fluctuations in RH. I’m in Vegas and the dry air here is brutal with my little fridge. So I unplugged it and have been much happier with its performance as a storage unit. Granted it’s 90% full of boxes, so a lot of wood in there. However, I went from five 72% Boveda 60g to one 69% 60g pack and it’s been steady at 75 degrees and 67% RH.

For me, the fan was running all the time, drawing in fresh, dry air. That coupled with the cooling unit turning off and on to hold at 74 degrees, which is the warmest setting, not only dried out my Boveda at an alarming rate, but wouldn’t keep the RH steady either.

To answer the question at hand…I have a 150 Thermoelectric humidor. Besides the cedar trays it comes with, or any boxes you store in there, you aren’t gaining anything from adding more wood to the unit.

The biggest thing I’ve noticed with these units is depending where you live, the air intake and circulation can cause drastic fluctuations in RH. I’m in Vegas and the dry air here is brutal with my little fridge. So I unplugged it and have been much happier with its performance as a storage unit. Granted it’s 90% full of boxes, so a lot of wood in there. However, I went from five 72% Boveda 60g to one 69% 60g pack and it’s been steady at 75 degrees and 67% RH.

For me, the fan was running all the time, drawing in fresh, dry air. That coupled with the cooling unit turning off and on to hold at 74 degrees, which is the warmest setting, not only dried out my Boveda at an alarming rate, but wouldn’t keep the RH steady either.
My two* are compressor models rather than the thermoelectric type that's more common.

I think that's a better system. I had a well-known compressor-less thermoelectric brand at the Caribbean coast jungle fishing lodge I managed in Central America. The 24/7/365 heat and near 100% humidity killed two (each lasted almost exactly 2'years).

I think the compressor-less actual thermoelectric models are out of depth in anything other than "normal" temperature and humidity ranges. In your case 0° RH dry. In my case near 100% humidity.

*I wound up with two because the first one arrived inoperable and the company sent me a replacement and didn't want the inoperable one back. So I fixed it (it works but I had to externally wire the control panel).

Mine also have water reservoir & fan humidity systems but I'm using a WiFi connected humidifier system in one. They've been rock steady at 70° and 68% rh as monitored by calibrated Bluetooth thermometer - hydrometers.

Last edited: