• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Celebratory Tasting - FW Vertical

denverdog

Not now chief, I’m in the F**kin zone.
Had a great beer drinking weekend, the highlight of which was a Firestone Walker Anniversary vertical 10, 11 and 12 that we enjoyed to celebrate my brothers first child. I have had the 11 and 12 several times but this was my first time trying 10 which has been saved for the past couple of years for this very occasion. There were 5 of us, we used stemless wine glasses and each sample was just over 4 ounces. We decided to start with the 10 and work our way forward knowing full well that this would most likely be the only time any of us would have the chance to have the 10. It was also nice to see how Firestone Walker progressed with their blended anniversary series.

In an effort to just enjoy the moment for all that it was I didn't take notes, however here is a short review from memory.

10 - Monstrous aroma, heavy on the alcohol, big flavor, full mouthfeel, nice long bitter finish. A spectacle of strong and complex flavors yet perfectly balanced.
11 - Also had a huge nose, flavors were very big and full bodied, sweeter than the 10 with a bit less bitterness on the finish. The only complaint was that it was a bit thin.
12 - Nose was slightly muted compared to the first two however the taste was all there. Very big body, flavors were more individually prominent than the other two which really showed its freshness vs the age of the 10 and 11.

Verdict: While I feel that ranking these three is like trying to choose which child you love the most, you love them all the same but maybe in different ways, if I had to I would do so in this order: 10, 12 and then 11. The 10 was perfect, I feel the 11 is peaking and I feel that the 12 has the potential to be the best of the bunch. That being said, all three of these beers are amazing and would best be enjoyed while sitting in your favorite leather chair next to a fire on a cold winter night. They are toasty and full with the perfect blend of big sweet flavors and soothing alcohol warmth all finished by a long tannin filled bitter note.

3785400576_9b7c288f49.jpg

... I feel the 11 is peaking ...
So I should maybe crack my bottles open before they pass there prime.

But overall sounds like you had one hell of a weekend! I may wait for the 13 before I pop the 11 ... do a 11, 12, 13 vertical

But overall sounds like you had one hell of a weekend! I may wait for the 13 before I pop the 11 ... do a 11, 12, 13 vertical

Yeah Mike, it was a helluva weekend. If it had been my first time sampling 11 I would just say its an incredible beer but having had it 6 times since the release I can say that its peaking or close to it and you should start planning to drink it within the next 6-12 months. That's what my plan is anyway! :cool:

Hopefully someday I'll be drinking something worthy of calling you and rubbing it in. :laugh:

I don't even like beer but this sounded like fun. What a cool way to celebrate your brothers 1st child.

Hopefully someday I'll be drinking something worthy of calling you and rubbing it in. :laugh:
Hey maybe we should open my FW11 when you are in town.
:wink:

We'll call him from the Verdugo Bar and tell him about all the tasty shit we're drinking.
Not a bad idea ...

Yeah, yeah.. Please do call and rub it in. You know Mike, I will make sure to repay the favor on September 24th.... :whistling:

Very cool! What a great way to celebrate. I haven't tried the 12 yet, I'm waiting for it to get coooler. I feel lucky to have had the 10 twice. The FW anniversary beers are one of the few that I would pay that kind of money for. Although the 10 was only $10 when it came out!

Yeah Mike, it was a helluva weekend. If it had been my first time sampling 11 I would just say its an incredible beer but having had it 6 times since the release I can say that its peaking or close to it and you should start planning to drink it within the next 6-12 months. That's what my plan is anyway! :cool:

that would be around ten 11's? I wish I lived closer. By the time you get to your 8th 11 Jonas, you will be sick of the beer.

Quite the tasting, Jonas. You lucky biatch.

that would be around ten 11's? I wish I lived closer. By the time you get to your 8th 11 Jonas, you will be sick of the beer.

Yeah man. The first time I had one I loved it so much I started trading for them every chance I could. At one point I think around had 17 but have since drank a few and traded a few. Hopefully it holds up for a while. :laugh: