• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cheap pipes

diapanos

Banned
Is there any advantage to paying &100 plus for a pipe?
Would $50 - $75  pipes work just as well?

I used to smoke a pipe a long time ago and I'd like to start back but the prices of some of these pipes is giving heart failure.

I plan to smoke just as many aromatics as non aromatics so I need at least 2 pipes and two $160 pipes are simply not in my budget.
Really if I'm gonna allow the pipes to rest at least one day between smokes I need at least 4 pipes and once again 4 $100+ pipes is simply not happening.

To be honest, if you're starting out or starting back, you could just buy 4 corn cob pipes and call it a day! They cost 5-10$ anf they are durable... Not the most classy look, but they do last a long time and take a beating....

As to briar pipes, it's a hard one. There are very good quality 40-65$ pipes that can be bought. Look for brands like Butz Choquin, Chacom, Ropp, Jeantet and Lacroix for french pipes. Look for GBD, BBB, Prince of Wales, Comoys and Guildhall for english pipes. Look for Stanwell, Georg Jensen for Danish pipes and Peterson for Irish pipes. Look for Kaywoodie, Carey Magic inch and Missouri Meerschaum for american pipes.Look for Blatter pipes for canadian pipes, and Savinelli and Brebbia for italian pipes. They are quality brand pipes from quality material, but obviously, there are qualities and exceptions in every brand.

I kinda wish you'd be able to work out something with Blatter and Blatter pipes, they offer quality pipes at very reasonable prices (45$-65$). They are located in Montreal.

You could try your hand at New Old stock pipes from auction sites. But be careful, you have to know your stuff. Some seller don't, and you have to know for them!

Feel free to ask if you have any questions...

Gianni

I just found my pipe that I bought years ago, used a couple times and then stopped.  If you want it diapanos, pm your addy and I will get it out to you, no charge.  I can also post pics if you want.  Not sure the brand, and it cost about 30-40 bucks about 8 years ago.

I just bought a handful of corncobs... they're cheap.
You can add some nicer pipes into the mix over time.

I have a few $300+ pipes and they don't smoke any better than my estate Stanwells or Brebbias of which the smaller bowled varieties have become my favorites.
I base this on how the tobacco tastes in them. You could get anal about all the other stuff people stress over in a pipe but, ultimately, imo, it is how they taste that matters more than anything.

Thanks guys.
Biggest problem I run into is I really like the oom paul style pipes.

The main ones I'm thinking of getting
002-033-18574.jpg

$112
002-033-17708.jpg

$108

002-029-23166.jpg

$128

Most straight pipes just don't do anything for me.

I still might give corncobs a try though.
Maybe get the above pipe for my English blends and some corn cobs for the aromatics.

Corncobs do a great job for aros....they smoke cool and absorb alot of moisture. Plus, they forgive alot of newbie mistakes.

Then, keep looking for decently priced briars and replabe your cobs here and there....

Gianni

Those are beauts.  Unfortunately mine is a straight pipe but hey free is free.  Will get that out as soon as I can.

Get a Dunhill White Spot. Break it in properly. Then comeback and tell us if it was worth it. I think you might just change your tune. There's a reason most experienced pipe smokers want one.

Doc

Devil Doc said:
Get a Dunhill White Spot. Break it in properly. Then comeback and tell us if it was worth it. I think you might just change your tune. There's a reason most experienced pipe smokers want one.

Doc

I wish I could afford a Dunhill.
Those are some nice pipes!

oke&coke said:
I just found my pipe that I bought years ago, used a couple times and then stopped.  If you want it diapanos, pm your addy and I will get it out to you, no charge.  I can also post pics if you want.  Not sure the brand, and it cost about 30-40 bucks about 8 years ago.
Nice gesture. :)

Devil Doc said:

Doc
I have a Dunhill made Astley. Made a long time ago. I think I paid about 80 bucks for it. Best tasting Briar I have. I don't know how close they were manufactured to Dunhills standards but something is magical about it. My Stanwells are great and better than all of my other Briars but that Astley is a full head above.