• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Chicago White Sox

CoventryCat86

Corresponding authority
So whadda think?

I say the Sox will win the division and play whoever wins the AL East in the first round.

Whoever comes in 2nd, whether it be Minnesota or the Sox will NOT make the playoffs because Boston and Tampa Bay are just too far out in front in the Wild Card race.

I looked ahead at the Sox schedule for September and it's not bad, a nice TEN game home stand just started today, three with the Angels and then four with Toronto and three with Detroit. I think the Sox will win seven. ;) Then they get to go on the road and play the four with the Yankees and three with the Royals. At first glance, that sounds good BUT the Yankees are the Yankees and for some reason, the Royals give the Sox more of a hard time then one would expect. Then three at Minnesota and finish at home with the Indians. If the Sox can manage to win at least one of those three against the Twins, all should be well. I think they'll win six of the ten road games.

Minnesota also has a fairly favorable schedule BUT they have four AT Tampa Bay and three AT Cleveland. If they perform as well as the Sox in September, it won't be enough to win the division since they're 1 1/2 out as they begin play on 9/6.

Very nice to see the Sox beat the Angels 10-2 tonight :thumbs: so they're off to a good start! :thumbs:

So c'mon Twins fans, feel free to shoot my theory full of holes! :laugh:

I would love nothing more than to see the Twins take the division for self serving purposes only.....................I have them in Jonesy's World Series pool! :sign:

Too bad about Carlos Quniten breaking his wrist but is it enough to bring down the Sox? Not likely.

Not going to poke holes, just going to throw a few key points out there:

Twins just came home from a 14 game in 15 day roadie, only a half game worse off than they were before they left town. White Sox have only one day off the rest of the season, the Twins have two.

Twins play 7 games against teams with records over .500 4 @ TB, 3 home vs. W Sox
W Sox play 13 games against teams with records over .500 4 @ NYY, 3 @ MN, 2 home vs. LAA, 4 home vs. Toronto
*Toronto has been one of the leagues better teams since Cito took over, 39 wins 25 losses.

Conversely,
Twins play 14 games against losing teams
W Sox play 9 games against losing teams

Both teams are similar at home and on the road. If the Twins are within a game when they get to the three game series, expect a World Series type atmosphere, which would be very cool for both sides. MN is 5-1 vs. CWS at the dome this year.

Go Twins!

...and the Sox just lot Carlos Quentin for potentially the rest of the season... :(

I'm a Twins fan, but I don't think we have the hitting and bullpen to catch and stay ahead of the White Sox.

I'm a Twins fan, but I don't think we have the hitting and bullpen to catch and stay ahead of the White Sox.
:sign:

The Twins are hitting .278 as a team, 5th overall, 3rd AL. Only Boston and Texas are higher in the AL.
Twins have scored 717 runs, 4th overall, 3rd AL. Again, only Texas and Boston are higher in the AL. Twins have scored seven more runs than the White Sox.

Runs shouldn't be the problem, but the BP probably will be, as it has been most of the year.

The Twins scoring numbers are misleading IMO. Take the last road trip for example. they go punchless for several games straight and then in one game explode for 10 or 12 runs.

they need more consistency this time of year.

September 6th:

Sox WIN ! :) Beat the Angels in 15. F-Rod blows a save in the bottom of the 9th. :laugh:

Twins LOSE... :0 Whoooooooooops.

Sox are now up 2 1/2. :whistling:

(Threadjack: Astros won but so did Milwaukee and the Cubbies. Houston has been on fire lately but I think they're too far out to make a run at the Wild Card. This is why I started a thread about a team that I like that might actually make it to the playoffs! :laugh: )

:sign:

The Twins are hitting .278 as a team, 5th overall, 3rd AL. Only Boston and Texas are higher in the AL.
Twins have scored 717 runs, 4th overall, 3rd AL. Again, only Texas and Boston are higher in the AL. Twins have scored seven more runs than the White Sox.

Runs shouldn't be the problem, but the BP probably will be, as it has been most of the year.

At this point, Boston and Texas aren't winning their divisions either! :laugh:

Oh oh.......

Sox have now lost three in a row including a double header loss to Toronto today. Toronto has been on fire with a TEN game winning streak :0 and just put the Yankees into 4th place. :laugh: The Yankees have screwed up the double trifecta for the teams from the three largest cities in the USA all leading their respective divisions (Cubs, White Sox, Angels, Dodgers, Mets and NOT the Yankees!)

The Twins aren't doing much better but they did win today and are only one game behind AND they don't have any games left with the Blue Jays. The Sox have two left and Halladay (18-9) is going for them tomorrow BUT Gavin Floyd is starting for the Sox on Thursday. :thumbs:

Sox better watch out and be sure to at least split the last two with the Jays.......

THREADJACK: The Astros won again tonight and the Brewers lost so the Astros are only four games out in the NL Wild Card..... :whistling: The Astros are the hottest team in the majors since the All Star Break but I think it's just a tad too late......

Threadjack OFF, back to our regularly scheduled programming. :laugh:

Twins play 7 games against teams with records over .500 4 @ TB, 3 home vs. W Sox
W Sox play 13 games against teams with records over .500 4 @ NYY, 3 @ MN, 2 home vs. LAA, 4 home vs. Toronto
*Toronto has been one of the leagues better teams since Cito took over, 39 wins 25 losses.
Go Twins!

Serious issues for the Sox as Konerko goes down tonight along with Quentin already out. What shape would they be in if Williams hadn't traded for Jr.?

Roy (Don't call me Doc) Halliday
Last 3 GS W L IP H BBI Pitch Count
3 0 2.25 20.0 17 0 105.0

and Shaun Marcum
W-L ERA G INN HA ER BBI K
Career 2-0 2.04 3 17.2 8 4 6 21
vs. White Sox

up next for the Blue Jays

Toronto swept the Twins last week. Here's hoping they do the same to the Sox! :laugh:

Sox are falling apart.

As of start of play tonight Twins 1 game behind Sox.

Twins up catch and pass Sox within a week.

Go Twins!

Serious issues for the Sox as Konerko goes down tonight along with Quentin already out. What shape would they be in if Williams hadn't traded for Jr.?

Roy (Don't call me Doc) Halliday
Last 3 GS W L IP H BBI Pitch Count
3 0 2.25 20.0 17 0 105.0

and Shaun Marcum
W-L ERA G INN HA ER BBI K
Career 2-0 2.04 3 17.2 8 4 6 21
vs. White Sox

up next for the Blue Jays

Toronto swept the Twins last week. Here's hoping they do the same to the Sox! :laugh:

Whooops :whistling:

Halliday LOSES, Sox still up by one! :thumbs:

As far as Konerko and Quentin being out, the Astros lost Lee for the season and their next hottest hitter Ty Wigginton is also out BUT the Astros keep winning and winning and winning.... ;)
One or two guy do not make an entire team.

The Sox have won three so far on this home stand with four to go (three with the Tigers who are struggling at the moment). They still could win seven as I first predicted but six would be okay. :thumbs:

Sox are falling apart.

As of start of play tonight Twins 1 game behind Sox.

Twins up catch and pass Sox within a week.

I dunno, ya got a TEN game road trip coming up, four or which are at Tampa Bay so we shall see. :laugh: Sox are on the road at the same time BUT seven of those are against the Yankees and the Royals. How are those two doing this year.... :whistling:

No offense but I think you're wrong. :laugh:

Unfortunately the Twins have reverted to early season form: inconsistent.

They look like world beaters one game and a little league team the next. I hope they pull it off and I will root for them to do so, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The schedule certainly isn't favorable.

Maybe I've been a Cubs fan too long and that's influencing my faith in the Twins. :laugh:

Then they get to go on the road and play the four with the Yankees and three with the Royals. At first glance, that sounds good BUT the Yankees are the Yankees and for some reason, the Royals give the Sox more of a hard time then one would expect.

Sox are on the road at the same time BUT seven of those are against the Yankees and the Royals. How are those two doing this year.... :whistling:

These Yankees aren't Joe Torre's Yankees, that's for sure. Have to wonder how Hank's feeling about firing him now, especially with Joe back in first place in LA. :D Twins fans can only hope the Yanks and Royals don't punt the rest of the season.

Sox magic number down to 17!!! :thumbs:

:laugh: