• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Christmas Cheer 2014

Pipe Smoker

I just ordered mine. One of the few absolute rules of pipe smoking that I adhere to religiously is to wait until after Thanksgiving before cracking this year's Christmas Cheer.

Its one of my favorite tobaccos out there, and I look forward to Black Friday each and every year. I'll smoke it all year long, but I won't open the current vingate before the Christmas season begins. And I don't care what the mall says...the Christmas season does not start until AFTER Thanksgiving (that's why Santa Clause comes riding in at the end of the parade.)

I have a bit of a ritual. The wife usually goes shopping with her mom and sister and they are out all day. I usually get together with the guys and play a little football in the morning (though we're getting a bit too old these days and someone usually ends up in the ER)/ Then, in the early afternoon, when I have the house to myself, I venture outside (no matter what the weather is like), and light up.

So fess up, who's dipped into this year's stash already?

Pipe Smoker said:
I just ordered mine. One of the few absolute rules of pipe smoking that I adhere to religiously is to wait until after Thanksgiving before cracking this year's Christmas Cheer.

Its one of my favorite tobaccos out there, and I look forward to Black Friday each and every year. I'll smoke it all year long, but I won't open the current vingate before the Christmas season begins. And I don't care what the mall says...the Christmas season does not start until AFTER Thanksgiving (that's why Santa Clause comes riding in at the end of the parade.)

I have a bit of a ritual. The wife usually goes shopping with her mom and sister and they are out all day. I usually get together with the guys and play a little football in the morning (though we're getting a bit too old these days and someone usually ends up in the ER)/ Then, in the early afternoon, when I have the house to myself, I venture outside (no matter what the weather is like), and light up.

So fess up, who's dipped into this year's stash already?

Got mine in last month, I've been waiting as well.  Looking forward to cracking it though, I've gotta admit the suspense is killing me!

I enjoyed to sample of last years that you sent me, Pipe Smoker.
Im going to look for some of the 2014 and crack it open on thanksgiving as well.

Thanks for the remimder! I was thinking of placing an order soon and now have another reason. :)

It is one of my favorites. That said, 2011, to me, was so much better than 12 or 13. Just been looking at it lately, trying to decide how much I want to invest. 

I liked 2012, but I agree, 2011 was particularly good, and 2013 was sub par. Heres hoping 2014 tops them all.

Pipe Smoker said:
I liked 2012, but I agree, 2011 was particularly good, and 2013 was sub par. Heres hoping 2014 tops them all.
I knew you had impeccable taste.  :thumbs:

;)

I still like '08 the best but I'm always hopeful the next one will be the best one!

I still have a can of '00 but now I hate to open it. I bet it's pretty tasty by now.

Still have the better part of the tin left, so I won't pass final judgment. So far so good, better than last year's offering. I am not one to dry my tobaccos, but I usually find that McClelland's broken flakes typically require a bit of drying when you first open the tin. However, this one seems to be right at the perfect moisture. Rub it out, load it up and go. I used all of three matches to get through my first bowl.

I was looking at this year's Christmas Cheer because you guys have spoken so highly of the prior year's and there is something I don't understand.   The description says "Packaged as a broken flake" and I am not sure what that means.  I looked at the picture and its not shredded like I am use to, so I am asking if I can just hand shred that or if its something different that I need to do to get it in the form I am use to smoking.   Remember I am learning so be easy on me :)

Edited:   Found some references to this under the Pinned "Pipe Tobacco 101" but not really about how to smoke it.    I also found this link with video's
http://pipesmagazine.com/python/pipe-smoking/flake-pipe-tobacco-preparation/

Does anyone have a specific way they would recommend??  Folding, Rolling, Rubbing?   Do you prefer flakes vs the other way??

CBoukal said:

Does anyone have a specific way they would recommend??  Folding, Rolling, Rubbing?   Do you prefer flakes vs the other way??

I just rub it out. I also rub out all flake tobaccos, which is what I predominantly smoke.

I was fortunate enough to get a tin of 1995 that I'm going to crack open for it's 20th birthday this Christmas season. Can't wait! 

1995 Christmas Cheer...like candy!

1995cc.jpg

I opened a tin near the end of November too. It's just not Christmas without an open tin of Christmas Cheer.

Isn't that the truth! I was fortunate enough to pick up the last few tins I needed to complete my collection of the years of Christmas Cheer. Starting in 2017, I should be able to open up a 25 year old tin of Christmas Cheer each year to ring in the holiday season!