• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar burn issues!

cryptoking13

All of my cigars have burn issues, no matter the brand, they are all almost unsmokable. Its very hard to light them up, even with a torch lighter. The ash becomes black and hard and I have to constantly light them up. Seems as the outer leaves have a hard time burning. The taste is not that great either. Humidity is around 68-70. Temperature has changed though. It has gone down from around 75 to around 62 now because of winter season. I found this issue happening through this temperaure change. Dont know if this is whats causing it but it has been pretty much the only change cigars have gone through. Dry boxing/resting doesnt seem to help much. Has anyone gone through this issue?
thumbnail_20221215_090519.jpg
thumbnail_20221215_083915.jpg

I see you still havent posted an introduction?

It's likely the same issue as yu had last time, RH istoo high.

I'd make sure your Hygrometer is calibrated correctly. It sounds like it's too much Rh, like Jeff stated above. How long did you dry box it?

Temperature drops/increases won't have as much to do with cigar issues, as too much/too little Rh will.
Agree, sounds like wet cigars. Lots of people way underestimate the time required to alter the RH of a cigar meaningfully. I'd take one of the problematic sticks, and put it in your desk drawer for a week. Try again. In my cabinet I try to stay out of new stuff for a few months. Hey, I try.... 😁

Also, temperature changes will chase your RH around quite a bit...which is why it's called 'relative humidity'. For lots of folks this is a cold time of the year, and with the heat going to keep the house warm, most often the ambient humidity drops crazy low.

This isn't rocket surgery, so don't get discouraged. There are some things you can do that will give you a better idea what the trouble is.

Edited to add: If you haven't salt tested your hygrometer, you have no idea how close it is, or is not. Some are on the money, some are way off. Only one way to know. Do this as soon as you can.

Last edited:
I might add it depends on What you are smoking as you didn't identify the brand. If it's a $5 stick from a lesser manufacturer, not all quality control is equal. Last I will mention proper rest, and yes it is difficult to rest that stick you are just dying to try. We all have gone through a education in smoking, your introduction might help us understand your issue, but as @BlindedByScience stated above, do the right thing, then you know where you are. We can help support you, but you are not giving us much to go on other than a burn issue. Come around more often, we are here to help best we can.

I'd make sure your Hygrometer is calibrated correctly. It sounds like it's too much Rh, like Jeff stated above. How long did you dry box it?

Temperature drops/increases won't have as much to do with cigar issues, as too much/too little Rh will.
Dry boxing for about 12hrs, 1 day. Ill try longer

Agree, sounds like wet cigars. Lots of people way underestimate the time required to alter the RH of a cigar meaningfully. I'd take one of the problematic sticks, and put it in your desk drawer for a week. Try again. In my cabinet I try to stay out of new stuff for a few months. Hey, I try.... 😁

Also, temperature changes will chase your RH around quite a bit...which is why it's called 'relative humidity'. For lots of folks this is a cold time of the year, and with the heat going to keep the house warm, most often the ambient humidity drops crazy low.

This isn't rocket surgery, so don't get discouraged. There are some things you can do that will give you a better idea what the trouble is.

Edited to add: If you haven't salt tested your hygrometer, you have no idea how close it is, or is not. Some are on the money, some are way off. Only one way to know. Do this as soon as you can.
It doesnt seem to be the hygrometer as I use bovedas and many hygrometers and they all read the same. Maybe cigars absorbed extra humidity inside the coolidor.

I might add it depends on What you are smoking as you didn't identify the brand. If it's a $5 stick from a lesser manufacturer, not all quality control is equal. Last I will mention proper rest, and yes it is difficult to rest that stick you are just dying to try. We all have gone through a education in smoking, your introduction might help us understand your issue, but as @BlindedByScience stated above, do the right thing, then you know where you are. We can help support you, but you are not giving us much to go on other than a burn issue. Come around more often, we are here to help best we can.
Will do. These cigars are good quality. Liga privadas, undercrown, Aj san lotano, southern draw, foundation. It could be the case theyre too wet. Makes sense

It doesnt seem to be the hygrometer as I use bovedas and many hygrometers and they all read the same. Maybe cigars absorbed extra humidity inside the coolidor.

I'd still test everything. Somehow they're getting too much %. Do you have a picture of your setup/coolidor, so we can investigate?

Also, post an intro and let us know who you are and where you're from.

I'd still test everything. Somehow they're getting too much %. Do you have a picture of your setup/coolidor, so we can investigate?

Also, post an intro and let us know who you are and where you're from.
Rh is reading lower because I left the doors open for a while. One of them normally reads 68-70 and the other around 70-72, but both present the issues.

Attachments

• thumbnail_20221215_145709.jpg
    thumbnail_20221215_145709.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 26
  • thumbnail_20221215_145741.jpg
    thumbnail_20221215_145741.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 25
I have a few thoughts about your humidity issue you brought up.
  1. How confident are you that you that you are achieving 70% You're using Boveda packs right? If so that's part of the equation is reliable.
  2. How confident are you that the humidor is sealed and you are not letting high humidity into it?
  3. When you say you have multiple hygros and they all read the same, that make me scratch my head. I have never seen two multiple hygors read the same, they all seem to vary a little bit.
  4. Have you put the hygros in a bag or tupperware with the Boveda to check them against each other?
  5. Slow and steady, you do not want to make radical changes in RH.
Good luck!

1. How confident are you that you that you are achieving 70% You're using Boveda packs right? If so that's part of the equation is reliable.
  2. How confident are you that the humidor is sealed and you are not letting high humidity into it?
  3. When you say you have multiple hygros and they all read the same, that make me scratch my head. I have never seen two multiple hygors read the same, they all seem to vary a little bit.
  4. Have you put the hygros in a bag or tupperware with the Boveda to check them against each other?
Good luck!
Im using bovedas and cigar oasis. Theyre very reliable, they have always been. Hygrometers read what the boveda and cigar oasis states, yes they vary but only by about 1%. I tested them before on salt water and they work fine.

Good luck!
Now that I remember, the side of my house where the humidors are at was crazy humid from about May to November. It was around 75%. It could've been that humidity got inside and cigars absorbed it fast when I was opening the door to grab some smokes. I was using dry wood to lower the RH because bovedas couldnt control it.

Now that I remember, the side of my house where the humidors are at was crazy humid from about May to November. It was around 75%. It could've been that humidity got inside and cigars absorbed it fast when I was opening the door to grab some smokes. I was using dry wood to lower the RH because bovedas couldnt control it.
There is definitely some strategery in choosing the location for your cigars.

Looking at your photos...

I don't see Boveda's. Are they in the boxes? I just put them in my coolerador/wineador.

I do see what looks like active humidification. Is that the Cigar Oasis you mentioned? I tried that with my wineador. It was over-humidifying to the point that the outside of some boxes were wet. Fortunately I caught it in time.