• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar theft by a neighborhood kid

Gonz

Ultra Runner
With the vast wealth of knowledge, wisdom and viewpoints I thought this would be a good place to get some perspective and calm my initial gut reaction.

My son came to me last night to let me know that the next door neighbor kid told him that another kid in our area, for anonymity sake we'll just call him Carsten, showed him a cigar and when asked where he got it from it was gleaned that he got it from me.  Obviously I did not give a 12 year kid a cigar.

Our little friend Carsten has a long and amazing history as one of the worst kids you can imagine.  Try to think of the worst troublemaker, instigator and deciever you've ever met and this kid is worse.  Don't think so?  One time, after being thrown out of a neighbors house he went home and called their house, the 6 year old answered and he told her he was the police and that her dad had been in a motorcycle accident and is dead.  I rest my case.

So what do I do now?  Several neighbors whose kids have been friends with Carsten have told me that stuff has gone missing from their houses after he's been around.  Do I call the cops and have the kid arrested?  For what?  Won't I have to prove that he entered my house and stole a cigar?  Where's the cigar then, are the cops supposed to search this kid's home for all these missing objects that he's probably taken?  Right now all I have to go on is what my 10 year old relayed to me 2nd hand from another kid.

With all the trouble this kid has gotten into over the years, the parents have to know their kid is a monster.  If I go to them, what good will it do?  What's best in this situation for the thief?  If it's handled by parents is there any chance he'll learn a lesson and change his ways?  If he gets busted by the cops and spends time in Juvenile, isn't that just a breeding ground for criminal kids to share their tactics and ways with each other?

I'm super ultra pissed about this, especially as I dig through my thousands of cigars and try to figure out what, if anything, is missing.

Webcam in the house.

He's not allowed over.

Tell his folks that this game of 'telephone' was going on regarding an item that may have come from your house. (as that's what was discussed with the kids). 

....and welcome back...slacker!

I would probably be more devious and would try to catch him red handed but Gary has a better idea I think.

If you can get the rest of the neighbors to verify that he has victimized them, maybe the Police would listen.

I would talk to his parents and relay the story your son told you.  I would approach it from the perspective of one concerned parent to another and let them deal with it as they will.  I wouldn't bring up the story of the trouble maker making a prank call -- that should have been addressed when you learned about it, and to bring it up now would just be piling on and will put them on the defensive.  Just tell them what you know and let them be the enforcer. 

My Dad would have made me bring it back to you after he had worn me out with his belt (don't ask me how I know).

If it was me, I wouldn't let him in my house again, and I wouldn't let my son associate with him.  Bad morals corrupt good character.  There's a life lesson here for your son, and if he learns it, it will be worth more than a single cigar could ever hope to achieve.

There have been a few suggestions about speaking with the parents.  The other side that I wonder about is what are the parents like?  Being a teacher has shown me that a lot of times if the kid is that way its for a reason that comes from higher up most of the time.  There are always exceptions, of course.  His folks may have it in their head that he is an angel and brush you off.  Or worse, they may not be involved in his life.

Sit down with the kid and light up a LFD DL Chisel. Make sure you show him how to properly inhale... ;)

Welcome back Gonz. I thought someone took your computer.

His parents are probably part of the problem. I would let them know what you have been told and advise them that he is not allowed on your property.

I had a similar issue when I caught my wife with one of my cigars.

Nihon_Ni said:
I would talk to his parents and relay the story your son told you.  I would approach it from the perspective of one concerned parent to another and let them deal with it as they will.  I wouldn't bring up the story of the trouble maker making a prank call -- that should have been addressed when you learned about it, and to bring it up now would just be piling on and will put them on the defensive.  Just tell them what you know and let them be the enforcer. 

My Dad would have made me bring it back to you after he had worn me out with his belt (don't ask me how I know).

If it was me, I wouldn't let him in my house again, and I wouldn't let my son associate with him.  Bad morals corrupt good character.  There's a life lesson here for your son, and if he learns it, it will be worth more than a single cigar could ever hope to achieve.

This hits the nail on the head.  Simple steps are to never, ever let the kid in your house again.  Period.  And tell your son to find new friends.  Immediately.

You can hope his parents will take action, but you have to be prepared for the case where they throw up their hands in the air and say "not my problem".  We had a neighbor with a kid in high school that earned a full ride scholarship to college, and wiped his rear with it, after discovering the joys of heroin.  Over time he stole almost all his mother's jewelry and he still lives there,  We moved and they don't know where we are now...... 

How did he get into your house? Oh..and if he touches the bike...he's got to go.

If I could afford cameras I'd have them in my house. You could look into that.

duglynukem said:
Welcome back Gonz. I thought someone took your computer.

His parents are probably part of the problem. I would let them know what you have been told and advise them that he is not allowed on your property.

I had a similar issue when I caught my wife with one of my cigars.

:laugh:  Did no one else see this?

One up the kid and tell him that you have a reward for the person that returns it, and the reward can be anything you want! A lemon, a stick of gum, a Gideon's bible...

Let us know!

If the kid is as bad as you say he is, talking to the parents will do nothing. I'd call the cops. Explain it to them, see what your options are. Maybe they won't arrest him, but maybe they will show up at his house and scare the crap out of him and his parents.

tone-ny said:
Taze him!
Good advice Tony, buy when I told the wife to leave my cigars alone or I'd Taz her, she said: "go ahead sucker, you have to sleep sometime".

Parents first, if they don't care, or are not involved, get the neighbors together, involve the cops if necessary and teach this lil bigger a lesson. Stop him now, before he becomes a drain on society.

duglynukem said:

Taze him!
Good advice Tony, buy when I told the wife to leave my cigars alone or I'd Taz her, she said: "go ahead sucker, you have to sleep sometime".

Steel cage my friend!