• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigar won't stay lit!

dancremeans

I just got my order of AVO cigars. Tried one this morning, but could not keep it lit! After a while of having to relight it over and over again, it started to taste bad, and I started to get dizzy! I've had this happen before on different cigars. Does anybody know what is going on here? I've had these exact cigars before without any problem. Is the moisture content in the cigar too high? Do I need to "dry" it out for a while. Please help because I simply want to enjoy the cigar and not have to struggle with lighting problems.

Thanks,
dancremeans

Humidity would be my first guess too..or you could have just got a bad batch, hard to believe that with AVO's.

Over humidified!

Leave one out for a day and then try to smoke it. Too many re-lights gave you the bitter taste.

Why don't you go over to the "Introduce Yourself Here" thread and tell us a little bit about yourself........We'd love to get to know you.

It could be that your cigars are stored too "wet" and therefore it's hard to keep them lit. This can happen often if you are smoking cigars straight out of the humidor of your local cigar shop. If you have stored them for a while in your own humidor, then your humi may to set at too high of an RH%. One thing you can do is to "dry box" your cigars. Set the cigar you plan on smoking that night, or the next day, out of your humidor and let it dry out a little prior to smoking. In the meantime, salt test your hygrometer, and consider ordering some heartfelt beads to regulate your humidity at a lower RH.

If you are unsure of any of these terms, or want to find out more info, try typing them into the search function located at the top of the page. If you feel so inclined to stick around this board, please feel free to post an introduction so we can get to know you, and welcome to our great community.

Have you tried using lighter fluid on them? I know there are a lot of purists out there but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

I've been having trouble around the last third in this summer humidity. Found dry boxing for a couple of days helps. Also how long have you had them? Some cigars seem to get shipped wet, I usually wait a couple of weeks before smoking something from a new shipment.

Have you tried using lighter fluid on them? I know there are a lot of purists out there but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do

I prefer to just soak mine in kerosene. Never have to worry about relights, but it can burn just a tad hot at times.....

Everclear.........nice crisp aftertaste, and it usually leaves your eyebrows alone.

I don't think anyone has mentioned, but maybe your humidity is too high?

I don't think anyone has mentioned, but maybe your humidity is too high?

Maybe he wasn't wearing a wet suit:

wetsuit-713478.jpg

Thanks for all the replies, you have me laughing.

I don't have a humidor, I just received these from an online site I've dealt with before. The cigars are very soft so I'm beginning to gather it's a "moisture content" issue. I'm a gonna "dry them out a bit," and see if that fixes the problem. I've also contacted the online site and they replied: "Yes. Let them air-out until they have "hardened" a little, but keep them protected. It could take a day or two. They'll be fine. Just make sure you toast and light them as evenly across the foot as possible when you fire-up."

Thanks again for the replies.

I don't have a humidor, I just received these from an online site I've dealt with before. The cigars are very soft so I'm beginning to gather it's a "moisture content" issue. I'm a gonna "dry them out a bit," and see if that fixes the problem. I've also contacted the online site and they replied: "Yes. Let them air-out until they have "hardened" a little, but keep them protected. It could take a day or two. They'll be fine. Just make sure you toast and light them as evenly across the foot as possible when you fire-up."

Invest in a Tuppe-dor or even just pick up a Humi-pouch. :thumbs:

Invest in a Tuppe-dor or even just pick up a Humi-pouch. :thumbs:

I agree, but when i started out i bought a travel humi with a mediun brick, that would at least keep them good for a coulpe of weeks until i got the chance to smoke them, best thing you can do is get at least a small humi, you will always outgrow them i have 3 going now but it does make it fun trying to keep up with them to me

I used to have a humidor, but I went through a period of time when I lost all "taste" for cigars, and I gave the humidor, along with my cigar collection, to my brother in law (lucky him), now all of a sudden I'm really enjoying cigars again, even more than I did then. A humidor is on my list soon.

Dan