• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cigars and Nicotine Patches

ConDaddy

Okay, so I have been a heavy cigarette smoker for most of my life. I finally got it into my head that I need to cut that shit out. My wife, kids, all hate my cigarette smoking but they are 100% supportive of me smoking cigars. So I figured I need to take better care of myself and at least remove the cigs before they ban me from cigars and whiskey. Saturday night pre vherf was the last cigarette I had. Typically I'm close to a pack a day smoker so I'm feeling pretty good with not having one since then. I'm using the patch to help me curb the urge you might say. However now I'm smoking 20 cigars a day (kidding). I have been smoking cigars though while wearing the patch. I've been using some of my cheaper cigars as a quick light it up, take a few puffs to kill the urge, then relighting that cigar when the urge comes back. I do have a doctors appointment next week so plan on running this by my physician but wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Wish me luck! FYI i have been trying to smoke milder cigars while I do this. Definitely wouldn't be trying to smoke an LFD while the patch is on.

Okay, so I have been a heavy cigarette smoker for most of my life. I finally got it into my head that I need to cut that shit out. My wife, kids, all hate my cigarette smoking but they are 100% supportive of me smoking cigars. So I figured I need to take better care of myself and at least remove the cigs before they ban me from cigars and whiskey. Saturday night pre vherf was the last cigarette I had. Typically I'm close to a pack a day smoker so I'm feeling pretty good with not having one since then. I'm using the patch to help me curb the urge you might say. However now I'm smoking 20 cigars a day (kidding). I have been smoking cigars though while wearing the patch. I've been using some of my cheaper cigars as a quick light it up, take a few puffs to kill the urge, then relighting that cigar when the urge comes back. I do have a doctors appointment next week so plan on running this by my physician but wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Wish me luck! FYI i have been trying to smoke milder cigars while I do this. Definitely wouldn't be trying to smoke an LFD while the patch is on.
Keep in mind that most providers have limited training on cigar versus cigarette smoking. Even today, they are grouped together as 'bad.' I honestly wouldn't be surprised if some of our providers say that cigar smoking is worse....yeah....if you're inhaling all your cigars maybe, but even then its tobacco versus tobacco and chemicals, but we won't go there. The main thing he should be able to help you on is progressing your cigarette cessation and transitioning you off patches slowly or with medicines that curve the appeal.

I’m going to wish you luck, but as someone who quit a two pack a day habit in my mid 20’s I’m going to be a bit of a naysayer.
I tried slowly cutting down, patches, gum, dipping, etc. As soon as I would try to stop something, I would go right back to cigarettes. The only thing that seems to work is cold Turkey IMO. It’s the hardest, but if you can make it through the first two weeks, then you can do it.
I also found out you can’t just smoke one... I made it three months once and I was home free. Then when I was drinking, I just wanted to see how good the buzz would be. That ended up being another three years before I quit for good.

I’m going to wish you luck, but as someone who quit a two pack a day habit in my mid 20’s I’m going to be a bit of a naysayer.
I tried slowly cutting down, patches, gum, dipping, etc. As soon as I would try to stop something, I would go right back to cigarettes. The only thing that seems to work is cold Turkey IMO. It’s the hardest, but if you can make it through the first two weeks, then you can do it.
I also found out you can’t just smoke one... I made it three months once and I was home free. Then when I was drinking, I just wanted to see how good the buzz would be. That ended up being another three years before I quit for good.
Oh don't get me wrong I know. I quit for about 5 years in my mid 30's. Then boom one night out with friends and decided to have one cigarette. Before I was back home I had already bought a pack and started back up like i never slowed down.

I'm going completely cold turkey with the cigarettes, but the cigars just give me a different enjoyment. Definitely helps to be able to puff on something even without inhaling. I've never tried quitting the cigarettes while smoking cigars since I'm rather new to cigars. I'm not sure if this is weird or not, but they satisfy a complete different thing for me than a cigarette did. I never looked at a cigarette as a way to sit down, relax, have a drink and just think. Usually it was more out of a need, or when i'm bored something to fill the time with. With cigars I enjoy the process, cutting, lightning and just sitting back and relaxing.

So far still no cigarettes and honestly it hasn't been as hard as it has in the past. Usually those first 3-4 days were BRUTAL. Especially with the drive into work with a cup of coffee. Maybe working at home, having my wife here (so i can't fib) will help.

I smoked Marlboro Reds from age 14 to age 38; 24 solid years of non-stop smoking. No experience with the patch, gum, any nicotine replacements, etc. I made the choice to quit because I was convinced cigarettes were killing me. I quit cold turkey in 1999. Started cigars in 2007. :D
Best of luck on quitting.

Oh don't get me wrong I know. I quit for about 5 years in my mid 30's. Then boom one night out with friends and decided to have one cigarette. Before I was back home I had already bought a pack and started back up like i never slowed down.

I'm going completely cold turkey with the cigarettes, but the cigars just give me a different enjoyment. Definitely helps to be able to puff on something even without inhaling. I've never tried quitting the cigarettes while smoking cigars since I'm rather new to cigars. I'm not sure if this is weird or not, but they satisfy a complete different thing for me than a cigarette did. I never looked at a cigarette as a way to sit down, relax, have a drink and just think. Usually it was more out of a need, or when i'm bored something to fill the time with. With cigars I enjoy the process, cutting, lightning and just sitting back and relaxing.

So far still no cigarettes and honestly it hasn't been as hard as it has in the past. Usually those first 3-4 days were BRUTAL. Especially with the drive into work with a cup of coffee. Maybe working at home, having my wife here (so i can't fib) will help.
I was worried at first when starting cigars about five years after quitting cigarettes. It is different though.
Cigarettes are a sign of tension. Cigars are a sign of relaxation.

Best of luck kicking cigs , 6-7 years ago I managed to quit for about 3 weeks. (Cinnamon tooth picks did help a bit). Then I made the mistake of walking into a gas station. Instead of buying a pack of Marlboros I grabbed a pack of the silver swisher sweet silvers, smoked them for quite awhile.

I still keep a pack on hand but mostly now smoke a pipe though out the day. 1-3 bowls a day, I can pick it up take a few puffs and set it down and relight as needed.

I was keeping cheaper cigars on hand and relighting through out the day. Not sure why I stopped that. Sometimes I'll light a cigar in the am ,but mostly in the evening when I am winding down for the night. As far as the patch I don't really know.

I do know my step dad was wearing the patch and still smoking , then he went to the gum he did start smoking again at one point and would smoke while chewing the gum. I do suspect he is still smoking and chewing gum while on the road but not at home. Only because I took his truck to the garage and there were cigarette packs laying on the floor.

Proud of ya dude! People who have never smoked can never understand how difficult it can be to quit. I started smoking cigarettes very young and by the time I was 18 I was smoking roughly two packs a day. This went on for a few years before I finally decided to quit. I remember how hard it was then, so I’m sure for a lifetime smoker it’s even harder. Take it one day at a time, my friend.

It’s all true, bad habit, hard to quit, easy to backslide… I smoked for 25 years… had to quit cold turkey (interesting story, to be told Saturday night on the vherf) It is possible to quit, and it is much, much healthier not to smoke.

Here are some key points:
  • Quitting smoking means breaking the cycle of addiction and essentially rewiring the brain to stop craving cigarettes.
  • To be successful, smokers that want to quit need to have a plan in place to beat cravings and triggers.
  • The benefits of quitting smoking begin in as little as 1 hour after the last cigarette.
  • The sooner a smoker quits, the faster they will reduce their risk of cancer, heart and lung disease, and other conditions related to smoking.

Timeline​

The benefits are almost instant. As soon as a person stops smoking their body begins to recover in the following ways:

After 1 hour

In as little as 20 minutes after the last cigarette is smoked, the heart rate drops and returns to normal. Blood pressure begins to drop, and circulation may start to improve.

After 12 hours

Cigarettes contain a lot of known toxins including carbon monoxide, a gas present in cigarette smoke.

This gas can be harmful or fatal in high doses and prevents oxygen from entering the lungs and blood. When inhaled in large doses in a short time, suffocation can occur from lack of oxygen.

After just 12 hours without a cigarette, the body cleanses itself of the excess carbon monoxide from the cigarettes. The carbon monoxide level returns to normal, increasing the body’s oxygen levels.

After 1 day

Just 1 day after quitting smoking, the risk of heart attack begins to decrease.

Smoking raises the risk of developing coronary heart disease by lowering good cholesterol, which makes heart-healthy exercise harder to do. Smoking also raises blood pressure and increases blood clots, increasing the risk of stroke.

In as little as 1 day after quitting smoking, a person’s blood pressure begins to drop, decreasing the risk of heart disease from smoking-induced high blood pressure. In this short time, a person’s oxygen levels will have risen, making physical activity and exercise easier to do, promoting heart-healthy habits.

After 2 days

Smoking damages the nerve endings responsible for the senses of smell and taste. In as little as 2 days after quitting, a person may notice a heightened sense of smell and more vivid tastes as these nerves heal.

After 3 days

3 days after quitting smoking, the nicotine levels in a person’s body are depleted. While it is healthier to have no nicotine in the body, this initial depletion can cause nicotine withdrawal. Around 3 days after quitting, most people will experience moodiness and irritability, severe headaches, and cravings as the body readjusts.

After 1 month

In as little as 1 month, a person’s lung function begins to improve. As the lungs heal and lung capacity improves, former smokers may notice less coughing and shortness of breath. Athletic endurance increases and former smokers may notice a renewed ability for cardiovascular activities, such as running and jumping.

After 1-3 months

For the next several months after quitting, circulation continues to improve.

After 9 months

Nine months after quitting, the lungs have significantly healed themselves. The delicate, hair-like structures inside the lungs known as cilia have recovered from the toll cigarette smoke took on them. These structures help push mucus out of the lungs and help fight infections.

Around this time, many former smokers notice a decrease in the frequency of lung infections because the healed cilia can do their job more easily.

After 1 year

One year after quitting smoking, a person’s risk for coronary heart disease decreases by half. This risk will continue to drop past the 1-year mark.

After 5 years

Cigarettes contain many known toxins that cause the arteries and blood vessels to narrow. These same toxins also increase the likelihood of developing blood clots.

After 5 years without smoking, the body has healed itself enough for the arteries and blood vessels to begin to widen again. This widening means the blood is less likely to clot, lowering the risk of stroke.

The risk of stroke will continue to reduce over the next 10 years as the body heals more and more.

After 10 years

After 10 years, a person’s chances of developing lung cancer and dying from it are roughly cut in half compared with someone who continues to smoke. The likelihood of developing mouth, throat, or pancreatic cancer has significantly reduced.

After 15 years

After 15 years of having quit smoking, the likelihood of developing coronary heart disease is the equivalent of a non-smoker. Similarly, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer has reduced to the same level as a non-smoker.

After 20 years

After 20 years, the risk of death from smoking-related causes, including both lung disease and cancer, drops to the level of a person who has never smoked in their life. Also, the risk of developing pancreatic cancer has reduced to that of someone who has never smoked.

I am approaching the 20 year mark…

< 18 months after I quit smoking cigarettes in 1999 I volunteered for a medical study at UT Southwestern in Dallas, TX.
They put us all through numerous tests, and basically tried to kill us with aerobic exercise & such.
The physicians were perplexed that after my history of 24 years of smoking cigarettes, 23 years of smoking weed, many years of childhood asthma, numerous bouts of flu, numerous bouts of pneumonia, one of which I nearly died from, my lungs functioned as a normal 40 year old male that had never smoked, nor ever had multiple chronic respiratory illness.
As @CigSid implies, the benefits of ceasing to consume cigarettes can be great.
I just had to go & screw that all up with cigars. 😅