• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cleaning a Humidor

ricmac25

Token Cuban Guy
I made the mistake of leaving some flavored cigars in one of my small old humis I wasn't using. They were in there for about 2 weeks. When I took them out the humi still smelled like them. I tried using a sponge with distilled water but there is still a trace amount of that smell. Any ideas on how I could clean it I wan to use it again.

I would try just letting it air out for a few days first. If that doesn't work, you might try wiping with a little bourbon or whiskey and then letting it air out. I once wiped out the inside of a cedar cigar box with bourbon with no undesirable side effects.

If it were my humi, I would air it out for a few days, then put a bowl of baking powder in there for a few day. Let us know what works though.

Emo

Yes, baking SODA is what the average housewife uses in the fidge to keep the odors in check. I guess baking powder would work as well but gool ole Arm & Hammer baking soda in a shot class inside the humi should take care of the problem in a few days.

coventrycat86 said:
Yes, baking SODA is what the average housewife uses in the fidge to keep the odors in check. I guess baking powder would work as well but gool ole Arm & Hammer baking soda in a shot class inside the humi should take care of the problem in a few days.
Yeah, that stuff. I don't bake, and I knoew baking somert or other was used. LOL

Also take fine sandpaper and LIGHTLY sand the cedar inside the humidor.

Excellent suggestion Shadow.

Sanding the cedar brings out the cedar aroma. After a while the cedar tends to lose its arromatic smell and a light sanding freshens it right up.

It's a good idea to do every once in a while even if you don't have a problem from those stinky cigars.

I usually lightly sand it with a very fine paper (300 grit or so, 200 - 400 will do okay, much finer that 400 clogs way too fast).

Bruddah Shadow's advice is excellent! Very light sanding with very fine sandpaper may do the trick but be very careful not to sand to much!

Aloha,

Wade

The reason for using the sandpaper is because the cedar not only absorb moisture, it also absorb the aroma of the cigars.

Great suggestion from the Shadow sanding will revitalize the cedar and let off some of that pleasant aroma again.

Good Luck

BenjieV :D