• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Robusto

thechenman

No One of Consequence
Cigar: COHIBA ROBUSTO

Vitola: Robusto/Robustos

Origin: Cuba

Filler: Cuba

Binder: Cuba

Wrapper: Cuba

Box Code: LPA MAY 08

Price: $15.59USD

Ring Gauge: 50

Length: 4.8 inches

Body: Medium - Full

Pairing: Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA – The Alcohol by Volume (ABV) for this spectacular IPA is now 18% after they dialed it back a bit from 21%. However, even at the current ABV level this IPA is illegal to sell in certain states within the U.S.

Location: Outdoors in Westchester County, NY on a friend's pool deck.

Date/Time: Sunday, September 6[sup]th[/sup], 2009 @ 3:00pm EDT

Environment: It was a beautiful day outside. By the afternoon the temperatures were in the upper-70s (farenheit) and the sky was partly cloudy. There was a very mild breeze which was nice and cool coming off the Hudson River. We lit up on the pool deck as the kids frolicked in the pool, around the pool, and throughout the backyard. The wives were at the patio table chatting away with my mother who was visiting for a couple weeks from SoCal while my father was in Cameroon on business. My two buddies and I sat down with Cohiba Robustos (LPA MAY 08) and a few bottles of one of my favorite beers, the Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA. If you have not tried this libation, you haven't lived. This could likely hands down be the best, if not one of the best IPAs you will ever imbibe. Just pouring this cognac-colored IPA into a chilled snifter is an experience unto its own. I kid you not. So, if you ever get the chance, definitely give it a try. As an aside…I should probably send this comment to Dogfish Head and ask them for a check, or at the very least a discount on my next purchase.

Band: Okay…the Cohiba band is one of my favorite cigar bands bar none. Love the yellow, black, gold and white. It has a hipper more modern look than a lot of its older peers, which is by no means a knock on the classics. It's just nice to see something new and refreshing (the Trinidad band falls into this category as well). And to top it all off, it speaks to me. It calls out and says, "I don't give a rats ass about how ridiculously expensive you may think I am – you stupid putz. I'm probably the closest you are ever going to get to heaven, so stop your idiotic drooling and fork over the payola because deep down inside you know I'm worth it." 'Nuff said…

Appearance: This Cohiba Robusto had a wrapper that I would say was a bit more Natural in color than Colorado. With Habanos, you never know. Still, it was attractive. However, there were two areas where I was disappointed. At the foot of the front side of the cigar was an ugly green splotch. This I was not pleased with, especially in a marca like Cohiba that is pretty much as pricey as it gets (well, maybe except for the Trinis). It kinda reminded me of some wrappers I've seen on many a Montecristo No. 4 or Punch that I have smoked in the past. The second was a small hole in the cap of the cigar. While the triple cap looked nice, the hole at the top of the head was unattractive.

Construction: Overall, I was pleased with the construction of this cigar. Aside for the two flaws in appearance there was nothing wrong with this CoRo. The bunch at the foot looked nice. The wrapper was slightly oil and lightly veined. Aside from the splotch the coloring of the wrapper was beautifully consistent. I slight squeeze showed the cigar was not overly soft or firm, but rather springy. A closer inspection revealed no soft spots either. Very nice. My anticipation heightened.

Aroma: The pre-light aroma on the cigar was all grass and hay, grass and hay, grass and hay. But don't they usually always smell that way? The aroma of grass certainly dominated. Some people don't care for it, I love it. Sniffing the foot showed the slightest hint of some spice which was pleasing. All in all, I was expecting a classic CoRo experience.

Cut: I cut the cap of the CoRo with my Palio cigar cutter. It came away nice and clean. The cigar looked decently bunched at the head as it did at the foot.

Draw: The draw on this Cohiba Robusto was perfect by my standards – Just the slightest bit on the looser side of things. What can I say…I'm lazy. Just don't tell my wife I said that. The dominate taste coming through on my pre-light draw was…you guessed it grass, as I'm sure you suspected.

Light: I lit the robusto with my Blazer PB-207 lighter. Slowly I toasted the foot of the cigar while gently rotating it in my right hand until the foot took on a nice orange glow. Things started off real nicely.

Smoke: The CoRo did not put out tons of smoke, but the amount of blue smoke was adequate multiplied by three as I was smoking with two other friends. This time I did not find the smoke particularly aromatic; however, it could have had something to do with the fantastic scent of meat being seared on a grill nearby. Don't get me wrong…I love my cigars, but have you ever tried eating one?

First Third: This cigar started out exceptionally well. It surprised me as often the initial puffs on a cigar begin a bit harsh before mellowing out…at least that is the way it is for me. I know, I know…chances are I'm doing something wrong. Likely being a little over eager in torching my stogies, but honestly, I do always try and take my time, especially if there is someone else waiting to use the lighter. The cigar started out medium bodied which surprised me. However, the flavor was incredible. Right of the bat a sweet grassy flavor combined with flavors of tobacco and some leather. This was actually my favorite third of the cigar, which is rather unusual. Normally, it is the middle third.

Second Third: Going into this third of the cigar, I was still getting the grassy flavor Cohiba smokers tend to be accustomed to. The sweetness has disappeared and a hint of pepper has come into the mix. This was pleasant and all, but the CoRo was not evolving as I had expected it to. In all fairness to the cigar, I did neglect it twice during this stage and had to purge and relight twice. I did not however, notice any change in the flavor profile after relighting.

Final Third: During the final third, I felt that the CoRo had finally reached its medium-full potential in terms of strength. However, part way into the final third, I lost that trademark grassiness, with the pepper intensifying. I also began to taste more and more tobacco. I have to say that I was a bit disappointed that the cigar did not evolve in the way I was expecting, Smoking through the last third, the cigar began getting harsher and the bitterness on my palate was steadily developing. With about an inch left to go on this CoRo, I decided to let it go out as I was no longer enjoying it.

Burn: The burn on this cigar was not great. At times it was a bit uneven, but always managed to correct itself without help. On two occasions I did have to relight this cigar; but in all fairness to this CoRo, I believe it was my own fault than that of the cigars. During the second third…I did get a bit overly engrossed with the topic of conversation, and neglected my cigar. Sacrilege you say? Well, with a CoRo…maybe it was. But after relighting and purging, I did not notice any change in the cigar's flavor profile from what I experienced prior to the re-light.

Ash: The ash on the Cohiba Robusto was fugly. No ifs, ands or buts. It was just downright fugly. While most CoRos I've smoked tend to have that black and dark gray ash that this example did, this stick exhibited particularly flakey characteristics. The ash would not hold for any longer than 1 inch before dropping off. That frustrated me as I tend to like a long ash. Don't ask me why, but I do…I'm sure some people would say that I am trying to make up for my other shortcomings…don't tell my wife that either.

Smoking Time: 1 hour 15 minutes (Took a bit longer than "normal" as I got wrapped up in the conversation at hand.)

Conclusion: I really think this Cohiba Robusto was on the young side, despite having a year of aging in its SLB. My own belief it that it will be much more enjoyable in 12 months time, and I certainly don't need to tell you how well CoRos age. Truly this cigar has great potential. However, with this current sample, and in its current stage, I could not justify giving this cigar a better rating than I did. I know many will be disappointed, with the score, maybe thinking I've been overly harsh. Unfortunately, while I do love Cohiba's at the same time I think we have to look at performance-to-value, and in this instance the CoRo fell short of my expectations. For now, it's time to put the rest of the box to sleep for awhile in anticipation of greater things to come.

Rating: 88/100

Date of Publication: Wednesday, September 10[sup]th[/sup], 2009
Written by: David Chen (a.ka. thechenman)

Thank you for the nice review! I have been wanting to try one of these and have hesitated on ordering a box. Ohh so many choices to choose from. Thanks again.

You're welcome. I think you should give them a try. Overall, I believe '08 was another good year for CoRos. Pick some up and let them rest a bit. It is usually a great smoke...

The CoRo is a great cigar! One of my favorites! :love: Cohiba is my favorite line in Cuban smokes. Sucks they are so damn expensive. :( My wallet takes a big hit when I purchase these smokes. You hit the review right on. I have noticed the same characteristics of the CoRo. However, those characteristics were from young "green" CoRos. I know its hard to wait, but these need to age a bit. Thanks for the review!

Happy Smoking!
-ree

ree ree...thanks for the feedback. I agree with you about the CoRo being a great cigar and needing some more down time to develop. I decided to give it a go anyway though, as I had heard and read some good commentary about the '08 prodcution.

I enjoyed your review. I think the green splotch you were referring to in your review may just be a sunspot on the wrapper leaf. I agree that they tend to be unattractive, but it's not totally uncommon with Habanos...from what I've read. :whistling: