• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Cohiba Robusto

Jeff

I posted this at CW and thought I would share it over here as well.
This is from a box from march 01. This is also my first attempt at a review.
Last night I just had to crack this box open. I have another from april 01 that are a bit harsh as they are young but still very good.upon opening and inspection these are the darkest Ive ever seen and beautifully constucted. Nice tripple cap and beautiful colorado wrappers. I think I said before that Ive seen lighter wrappers on the LE.
I cant really describe the scent in the box but ever since I opened it I've had this strong desire to light one of these to see if they are as good as they smell.
Predraw... hmm, not the same as one with 3 yrs on it but not overly chlorophilly(is that a word? LOL) Didnt knock my socks off thats for sure. draw was easy yet a bit firm just the way I like it. not like sucking air.
I fired this baby up and after about 1/2 an inch the ash was kinda flaky, very gray and some streaks of black in it. the taste, well most Cubans dont have much flavor this early in the game and some not until the last 3rd, this was no exception. 1"-1 1/2" in and the ligero is warming up. Very nice indeed!! still a little harshness because of its youth but very tastey. How do you describe that Ligero taste? a creamy leathery chocolate perhaps. anyway. this is very good!! already licking my lips as the flavor this leaves behind is amazing. must be from the wrapper. ok 1/2 way through this baby now and that ligero has definitely been kicking in. Having a bit of trouble staying lit but a few quick puffs helps it along. a small runner at this halfway point but a quick torch straightens it right out... well while typing it did go out so a relight is in order. I will also add that the longest ash so far has been about an 1 1/2".
About 3/4 through now and the flavor is all there. Loads of that thick smoke enveloping the palette. the smoke is thick but very pleasent. Im also starting to feel this in my throat as the youngness must be getting to me. A nice glass of Ice water takes care of that though. No more burn problems and a perfect draw still. 1" left and still a prefect burn and draw, although it is getting a little hot but i tend to smoke fast... Flavor is harsh yet that typical Cohiba flavor is still getting through!! ok I put this down
for a minute to cool it off and now the finish...In my opinon the best part of a cuban is the last 1/3 and espedially the last inch. The finish on this was incredible. very full of that flavor that I love. This is actually the youngest robusto I have smoked and on a scale of 1-10 I would give it a 7.75. Im still licking my lips and that cohiba flavor is still there. They do taste as good as the box smelled!! Ill revisit these in 6 months or so and when that harshness backs off a bit this should work its way up a full point and in 2-3 yrs these should be a 9 plus. Sorry about the lack of adjectives to describe the taste but I dont really taste leather or burnt coffeee or any of that stuff. I wouldnt know what leather tastes like anyway, Ive never chewed on my shoes!! It was good and 10 minutes after its gone the flavor is still there. No need to light another tonight.

Excellent review, just great! This is the type of post that I like to read in the forums. It lets me know what to expect and if the cigar lives up to its reputation. It gives me an indication of whether a couple of sample sticks need to by ordered to see if a box is in order. I enjoyed this review, and I would like to see others like it. Thanks for the review Jeff. Those Robustos in my humi now seem a little more inviting. :cool:

Hey Sam, At least now you know what to expect when you light one up!! I should have some more reviews coming by the end of the weekend!!

Great review, I had one of these Cohiba robustos as well, and had a bad experience with it (the whole thing began to unravel) but the rest of the ones I had were great. Good review.

Interesting, DaVinci. I've got a box of these babies and the third one that I smoked unraveled also. You are the fourth person (not counting myself) that I know of that this has happened to.

Yeah it makes you wonder, since Cohiba is supposed to be such a good brand.

of the 2 boxes I just got both were the best Ive ever seen. I have also heard this from people Ive traded with. If its any indication of what the rest of 01 is going to be like, Im buying!! I also just got a cab of Partagas shorts from 01. Unbelievable !!!

Great review...The Robusto is by far my fav smoke in the world. They just F@#%ing Rock!!!!!!!!!!