Cold smoking salmon

siriusstoogie

Bellus Filipinus Vir! :)
This evening, I'm cold smoking a salmon fillet that I brined with salt and sugar mixture since yesterday. I did a DIY cold smoker. I'm using apple wood chips. I am hopeful that this will turn out good for the bagel and lox breakfast i have in mind tomorrow! [emoji14]

For the more seasoned cold smoker out there, any tips? I made a Venturi type smoker using an aquarium pump. Total cost for me is ~$20 bucks.

Happy New Year!

Best,

Joe

jfields

Where did all my money go?
I just use a 50/50 mixture of brown sugar and pickling salt. Then I immerse the salmon meat skin in all in the mixture overnight so huge amounts of moisture get pulled out of the fish. Then I either cold smoke, or an incremental temp smoke.  

Of course..... Never use farm raised salmon. ;)

siriusstoogie

Thanks John! Happy New Year to you and yours!

Salmon tasted very good! I also smoked a quarter ball of Edam. So far I am not complaining.

Bayamos

You reap what you sow...
How was the Venturi, did it work out for you. I saw your post and you stated it was tasty. I found that those Venturi's can throw a ton of smoke.
A shit load of a matter of fact. Too smoky for most appilcation in MHO. Thoughts?

siriusstoogie

It worked fine. I have a pump for a 30 gallon tank and it blows relatively weak. I also smoke the salmon for 4 hrs and the cheese for 2hrs. I was using apple woodchips, too. I bet with longer smoking time and the type of wood will be factors.