• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Complete cigar collection stolen

USMCJeckyl

I had the unlucky privilege of somebody breaking into my house and one of the things they stole was my entire cigar collection of - 650 cigars, my humidors, cutters and lighters. Of those cigars - 60 of them were Cubans I had legally brought into the country but since the law has changed back to them being illegal my insurance company won’t cover them. I’m trying to figure out a price for the insurance company. One of the things I’m having the most difficulty with is the price of the cigars I’ve been aging. One of my favorite brands is Padron and I had - 150 of them. I also had some very rare cigars you just can’t buy anymore or at least I couldn’t find them. The brands I had in larger quantities were Arturo Fuente, My Father, Romeo and Juliet, Ashton, Liga Privada, Fuente Opus, Macanudo and Monte Crisco.

Any help anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated. Also, just getting more information about the prices for these cigars and the process it takes would be helpful.

Can you give more specifics about the cigars. Fuente/Ladron/Liga Privada make cigars that range from $3 a stick to $80+ a stick.

Head over to the intro section and post an intro.
It suck that happened, without out knowing the specific cigars it would be hard to state a price.

Best way I know to come up with a price is look at the prices at 3 different retailers and average it.

Darn that's even worse than mold or a fire destroying your collection 😫.

For the Cuban cigars this link might help:

Not much to go on, honestly.

650 cigars at an average of $7 = $4,550

Humidor(s) no info = $150

Accessories no info = $250

For rounding up purposes, I’d say total of $5k. Sure would help to have specifics. Also, the insurance company doesn’t have to know that 60 are Habanos.

I’m being nice, but if I weren’t, I’d say this is a ploy to pull a few heart strings and get free cigars. Using USMC as a username and saying you got robbed, is pretty clever. What else did they steal? Sure hope a police report was filed.

For rounding up purposes, I’d say total of $5k. Sure would help to have specifics. Also, the insurance company doesn’t have to know that 60 are Habanos.

I’m being nice, but if I weren’t, I’d say this is a ploy to pull a few heart strings and get free cigars. Using USMC as a username and saying you got robbed, is pretty clever. What else did they steal? Sure hope a police report was filed.
I'm good for some fake habanos and fake AF cigars

I hear its a thing now.

Break into a house just for cigars and cigar paraphernalia.

Leave the money, paintings, silver, and jewelry.

But if the OP is really fishing for freebies, he wouldn't have posted an intro. Oh......wait!

Seems like someone knew you, who the hells breaks in for sticks normally? And YES to a police report for sure. Get your AR and go hunting for someone you wish you didnt know.

Jon, here's my take. If his post is legit, he would have posted an into.

It just looks a little too hokey!
I understand. I look at it like this- if my stuff was just stolen and I am in the process of trying to fill out an insurance claim on something that ive never had to file a claim about like consumables bought over time with no record of purchase , them my head would not necessarily be in how do I create a relationship with this community, but along the lines of how do I get info to get this claim submitted. Now granted this community isn't really here to answer on off questions like a Reddit or a Facebook but given his question and the lack of the typical weasel a tivity we are accustomed to seeing, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt as I imagine his head is elsewhere at the moment. Should he ask for free stuff or anything else more in line with weaseling then my opinion would change. But with the current cards on the table, I stand by last post.

An insurance company is only going to pay out with proof - receipts, credit card statements and/or (maybe) photographic documentation. And I doubt they will give two shits about higher value due to aging - you will only get basic replacement cost or original purchase price, as documented.

Cigars aren’t something commonly stolen or sold for quick cash. I would talk to the local cigar shops in case someone comes in looking to move them, and keep on eye on Facebook Marketplace and Craigslist to see if they turn up?

I was honest about the Macanudos - you will be lucky to get reimbursed for them instead of having them take up space next to those other premium cigars you listed.

I understand. I look at it like this- if my stuff was just stolen and I am in the process of trying to fill out an insurance claim on something that ive never had to file a claim about like consumables bought over time with no record of purchase , them my head would not necessarily be in how do I create a relationship with this community, but along the lines of how do I get info to get this claim submitted. Now granted this community isn't really here to answer on off questions like a Reddit or a Facebook but given his question and the lack of the typical weasel a tivity we are accustomed to seeing, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt as I imagine his head is elsewhere at the moment. Should he ask for free stuff or anything else more in line with weaseling then my opinion would change. But with the current cards on the table, I stand by last post.

I gave him the answers, that he wanted.

For anything that might be local or bought on line, I would believe those merchants would produce proof of purchase. Might not cover it all, but something is better than nothing. The aging part, forget that, ain't gonna happen. No police report, again, not happen. And I would look into my mind and think who I knew about my stuff. Sure don't sound like a casual break in.

And, to give credit to CP, if he had been a member here prior to this, we ( I believe ) would step up and vouch as to what we know over a given time period, which I believe would help to a point.

Also, as I believe Juan mentioned, he has asked for nothing, he is just venting, as I sure as hell would. I do believe we have offered him good counsel.

CP has done him well whether he knows it or not.