• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Converting Compact Disks to audio files

Cparker

My dogs don't smoke
Ok. I have a small stereo that I have decided  to upgrade (NAD receiver, PSB speakers, Sony CD player). Its about 18 years old. I have about 400 CDs, and have decided that the smart thing to do (arguably) is to convert the CD's to audio files so I have a ready test bed of music that I enjoy to use to audition new rigs.

I do not have the time or patience to convert the CDs myself, and I have factored this cost as a part of my budget for a new rig.

Any suggestions for a service that concerts CD's to audio files ?

What format did you decide to use ?

Did you keep your CD's or sell them (this would save space and help defray costs) ?

Any miscues or missteps that I should avoid ?

Do you notice a difference in the sound quality even with the higher end file formats ?

Thanks

Cparker

There are two basic types of file conversions; lossless and compressed.  I have been ripping my CD's to MP3's @ 192Kb with Exact Audio Copy and LAME.  This is a compressed format, but they sound really, really good.  It's very easy to do, almost a background task.  EAC makes it quite easy.

I keep my CD's just in case.

One opinion.....B.B.S.

Well, just another audiophool's opinion, but I can easily tell the difference between lossy and lossless files on my system and I have terrible hearing. I'm well over sixty. MP3's suck. Do it right the first time, because you'll wish you did it right and not have wasted all that time downloading crap.

Doc

Only experience I can offer is iTunes, but I'm an Applehead. I've ripped about 280 CD's to my account and have all the files backed up. When my phone was stolen last year I liked the fact that all I had to do was hook the new phone up to my PC and all my audio files, apps, contacts, and all synced to my phone in less than five minutes.

I can dock the phone just about anywhere in the house/car, etc and play the songs I want.

Sounds great, but nothing like vinyl! ;-)

I keep my CD's stored away just in case.

Rip lossless and then you can convert to whatever as necessary. FLAC is the one format I know, but there could be newer ones.

You wouldn't by a CD that was missing half the music would you?  Then you shouldn't rip to a lossy format.  Rip to FLAC and get some compression and still retain the full quality of the original source. I've done well over 1,000 CDs and can play them anywhere on my home network.

I'll add that you do have the time since it doesn't take long at all to rip a CD.  Use Media Monkey for your ripping, indexing and playback at home.  It will download art and tag the files for you too  but it doesn't play DTS encoded files for that you'll need foobar which is free also.

i'm firmly in agreement with Doc and ABV. Then back everything up on a couple of Drives, imo.

Thank you for all the posts. As Doc said, I want to do it right the first time.

I think I will take a stab at trying a few conversions to FLAC myself.

I researched the audiophile sights, and while I appreciate technical detail, at the end of the day, my view is I just want a stereo system that lets me enjoy music and does not cost an arm and a leg. I also like the idea of having everything at the touch of a button and not having to search through CD's to find some errant song from 1997 (or 87, or 77) I have gotten stuck in my head. (Though those predating 93 goes back to the time when I did away with all my albums, over 400, some irreplaceable, and still kicking myself as I bought into the death of vinyl. Hence why I am so cautious now.)

I like Apple. I just do not care so much for the Machiavellian approach iTunes takes. 

Thanks for all the advice, and a special thanks to Rod for another benefit of Cigarpass. Its a great place to get clear, sound advice (no pun intended). I received better info here than I did wading through all the audiophile sights. Like i said, I appreciate technical detail, but at the end of the day, I just want a system that lets me enjoy the music.

For tonight, its a 601 Red Label Rabito accompanied by Failure's Fantastic Planet.

Cparker