• Hi Guest - Come check out all of the new CP Merch Shop! Now you can support CigarPass buy purchasing hats, apparel, and more...
    Click here to visit! here...

Converting my walk-in into a wine cellar.

Light this!

Licensed to Kill
Gentlemen, I'm converting my cigar walk-in into a wine cellar. I enjoy wine and know a bit about it but was wondering if I needed to do anything else. For all you wine enthusiasts, what is the ideal temp/humidity and what type of modifications do I have to make? Any help is greatly appreciated.

I'm going to remove the shelves and purchase some wine racks from the Wine Enthusiast.

Thanks
Kristopher

this sounds like an awesome idea!  Very jealous and looking forward to some pics/process updates.

I have been storing wine for about 20 years, with great success. The experts vary wildly on temp and humidity, but the general consensus is 55 degrees and 70 percent humidity. The main things to avoid are light and temp variations... My actual temp is about 58 degrees, and my humidity in my wine cellar is 68 percent...

Great idea, and I am looking forward to trying some of your wine :thumbs:

Temp Range should be 45-65 degrees with 55 being the optimal. Humidity between 50% and 80% with 65-70% being consider optimal.

CigSid hit it pretty much on the head. If you are within this range you need to be more concerned with major influx in temp, UV light and vibration than anything else. You might need to add some insulation into your walkin before turning it into a cellar which can be a bit of a pain but not to hard to do. Besides if you keep it at 55-60 degrees and 62%-68% humidity you can still hide a box or two of cigars in the back :whistling:

Napa_Smokes said:

Besides if you keep it at 55-60 degrees and 62%-68% humidity you can still hide a box or two of cigars in the back :whistling:

I know you've seen the Jar humidors from different cigar manufactures.....how about a wine bottle humi! 

modo22 said:

Besides if you keep it at 55-60 degrees and 62%-68% humidity you can still hide a box or two of cigars in the back :whistling:

I know you've seen the Jar humidors from different cigar manufactures.....how about a wine bottle humi! 

Here's the infamous Opus in a bottle:

forbidden-x-brandy.jpg

Napa_Smokes said:
Temp Range should be 45-65 degrees with 55 being the optimal. Humidity between 50% and 80% with 65-70% being consider optimal.

CigSid hit it pretty much on the head. If you are within this range you need to be more concerned with major influx in temp, UV light and vibration than anything else. You might need to add some insulation into your walkin before turning it into a cellar which can be a bit of a pain but not to hard to do. Besides if you keep it at 55-60 degrees and 62%-68% humidity you can still hide a box or two of cigars in the back :whistling:

Josh! I was wondering if vibration would be an issue in a walk in but, I believe they have specific coolers that cover this issue. Do you know if they are truly trustworthy?
Hope you doing well and that all your College Wine related studies are almost done. 

MadMonk said:

Josh! I was wondering if vibration would be an issue in a walk in but, I believe they have specific coolers that cover this issue. Do you know if they are truly trustworthy?
Hope you doing well and that all your College Wine related studies are almost done. 
Vibration really isn't a hugh issue in most wine cellars especially a walk in if using the correct type of cooling unit. I have two different cabinet units though both are pretty much empty now and never had an issue with vibration. There's a greater issue in free standing units of the cooling unit failing lol.

Schools going well I'm prolonging it by a year to try and get a pca license as well as te degree.

CigSid said:
I have been storing wine for about 20 years, with great success. The experts vary wildly on temp and humidity, but the general consensus is 55 degrees and 70 percent humidity. The main things to avoid are light and temp variations... My actual temp is about 58 degrees, and my humidity in my wine cellar is 68 percent...

Thanks Bill. Heck maybe we can start trading wine back and forth soon. ;)

Napa_Smokes said:

Josh, thanks for the info. It was insulated prior it to building it so I'm good there. Now about hiding a box or two in there - great minds think a like brother.  :thumbs:

Light this! said:

Thanks Bill. Heck maybe we can start trading wine back and forth soon. 

I would love that Kris! let me know as soon as your conversion is completed, i have a few bottles to get you started brother...

So is our cigars and domino night converting to wine and domino's this summer??? Lol

Can't wait to see the progress. Let me know if you are getting rid of any of the shelves Norm built.

Paul

Tall Paul said:
So is our cigars and domino night converting to wine and domino's this summer??? Lol

Can't wait to see the progress. Let me know if you are getting rid of any of the shelves Norm built.

Paul

Will do Paul. 

I would love to see pictures of your wine cellar.  Maybe a time lapse or something showing the progression.  You know...if you dont mind. :whistling:

Alright gentlemen, I have an update. Humidor has been officially converted from a small closet cigar humidor to a closet wine cellar. I didn't take much pictures during the conversion but this is what I have from the cigar walk-in to the wine cellar.

It first started as a small closet walk-in that my neighbor built for me and damn to I miss it already but what the heck.

IMG_2134_zpsdqoq3pyy.jpg

IMG_2133_zpsausjf2vy.jpg

IMG_2126_zpss1kyvo4w.jpg

Then it got slowly filled:

IMG_4244_zpse19d06e4.jpg

IMG_4242_zpsxelehagv.jpg

And then it really got filled:

IMG_4285_zpsgtyevhqk.jpg

I then ended getting an Aristocrat that started to get filled before I stopped smoking regularly. This baby was sold to my buddy Michael (whylieineedacigar)

IMG_4322_zpskwkz0wfr.jpg

And now to the newly converted wine cellar. What my neighbor ended up doing was to make wine shelves for the existing spanish cedar shelves that were there already. We ending up taking out all the shelves and making new ones out of African Mahogany. The Spanish Cedar scraps now belong to our friend Tall Paul. I told him that I would give it to him.

IMG_4518_zpsckb2iydf.jpg

New shelves:

IMG_4514_zpsszrrom85.jpg

New shelves installed:

IMG_4521_zpslwfainil.jpg

IMG_4523_zpsq6bf14mw.jpg

IMG_4524_zpszhktggzz.jpg

IMG_4525_zpsluf3ghzy.jpg

IMG_4527_zps0lo9cjzp.jpg

Humidification unit and the Peltier cooling unit:

IMG_4537_zpsdvyetuib.jpg

Semi filled cellar:

IMG_4528_zpsqqkhcoi1.jpg

IMG_4534_zps1ihnhqlr.jpg

One more thing - I was able to keep my small cabinet humidor that my neighbor built for me. I believe that I have about 300-500 singles in there  :thumbs:

IMG_4173_zpsnkbgacy7.jpg

Good God, I didn't realize what you had going on there.  Looks real nice.

Norm is amazing I can't wait to see it in person!

Thanks again for the wood.

Paul

:0

Holy. Sheeite.

*swoons and falls to floor*

Will you marry me? I mean, I know it's sudden and awkward, and the whole I'm-into-women thing I have, but...

What the hell do you dudes do for a living that makes collections like that even possible? I'm all badass with myself for a box of PSD4s and a wineador...

I...I may not even be worthy of posting in your thread.

-Trey

Living in South Texas, I'd love to know a little more about your Peltier unit . . . I have a small (4' X 4') walk in closet in my office I've long dreamed of turning into a walk in humidor (with some wine and Scotch storage).  My choices are running a drop from the house A/C (much cheaper, but messes with humidity levels) or something like that.

Looks gorgeous in both versions, btw.  Outstanding.

~Boar